Owens Corning 703 -- Do local stores carry them?

hilde45

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Quicksilver Line Stage
Main Amp
Quicksilver Mono 60
Additional Amp
Atoll INT200
DAC
MHDT Orchid
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXC
Front Speakers
Salk SS 6M
Subwoofers
REL 328
Streaming Equipment
NODE 2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon HD
Hi all,

I've had great success with some DIY OC 703 panels that I made into 2" and 4" panels. Thing is, they cost nearly $110 to buy (6 of them) and shipping was 40% of the cost! I was in Home Depot yesterday, and they don't carry these panels.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck procuring these or similar acoustic-oriented panels locally and avoided the shipping surcharge?

Thanks.

FargateOne

More  
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000 and SVS PC-2000 Pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
none in Canada...

trondeez

Registered
Ive never seen any stores that carry 703. Most have Rockwool, but not 703. (Its also not the best Rockwool for sound.)

This place has best deals ive found:

buyinsulationproductstore.com

Ant Lane

Registered
More  
Mac Mini with Singxer SU2 USB/AES interface
Main Amp
Hypex FA503 x2
Front Speakers
Volt bass and mids, Scanspeak tweeters
Hi all,

I've had great success with some DIY OC 703 panels that I made into 2" and 4" panels. Thing is, they cost nearly $110 to buy (6 of them) and shipping was 40% of the cost! I was in Home Depot yesterday, and they don't carry these panels.

I'm wondering if anyone has had luck procuring these or similar acoustic-oriented panels locally and avoided the shipping surcharge?

Thanks.
Hey,
Try Rockwool RWA45. It’s almost same weight per cubic metre (45vs48kg) and may be easier to source.

audiobsessed

Registered
I'm in Canada and found a product made by Manson - 3.00 PCF. The numbers from their website compared favorably to the OC703 and Rockwool. The supplier only stocked their 2" product, so I went for it. $125 for a bag of 10 2'x4' pieces. These are going into some bass traps I will be building in the next short while.

I tried to post copies of my spreadsheet showing the comparison, but I'm not allowed to do so on this forum. Anyways, look it up.

FargateOne

More  
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000 and SVS PC-2000 Pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
In Canada you can find Roxul Rockboard in small quantities. If my memory serves, Rockbord 60 is equivalent at Owen 703. I found in my city Roxul Rockboard 80 the nearest of 703. Ideally it should have been Rockwool Rockboard 60.It gave me the best result. Roxul comfortbat are very dense and saf'sound are too light evan Roxul AFB is not the best for broad DIY absorbtion panel.

Last edited:

audiobsessed

Registered
FWIW: if the specs are to be believed, the Manson 3.0 PCF specs are better than the Rockboard 80. Anyway, I went for it because I could source it.

Every time I try to order something, I have to buy a pallet because no one stocks OC70*, Rockboard 80 and it's ilk. And most people won't bring in 1 or 2 bags. Kijiji is my only choice for most specialty product and that is wildly unpredictable. Others with my issue have resorted to purchasing a pallet and then have to unload what they don't use. Imagine a pallet of insulation in your room.

Top Bottom