OPPO Digital's Highly Anticipated UDP-205 is Available for Purchase

OPPO Digital's Highly Anticipated UDP-205 is Available for Purchase

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.56.53 PM.png

OPPO Digital
(April 21, 2017) OPPO Digital has announced that its new UPD-205 Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc player is available for purchase. This particular model is a “step-up” version of the company’s highly touted UDP-203 (released during December 2016), offering performance parameters meant to please the most discerning of enthusiasts. I had an opportunity to review the UDP-203 and found its build quality and performance to be everything we’d expect from an OPPO product; the UDP-205 is similar but brings “top-of-the-line” audio performance to the table.

Similar to the UDP-203, the UDP-205 offers playback of a wide range of disc formats, including 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, CDs (among others). It also carries dual HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 1.4 outputs for audio, and an HDMI 2.0 input for external streaming devices, cable boxes, and the like. The player is fully compatible with HDR10 and Dolby Vision (the latter of which requires a future firmware update for activation).

The separation between the two models lies in the realm of audio quality, where the UDP-205 holds a distinct advantage in processing. On the HDMI front, OPPO says HDMI audio output performance benefits from improved clock precision and an audio jitter reduction circuit (a design that eliminates timing errors and introduces precise accuracy ). And for the true audiophile listener, the player offers both stereo and 7.1 analog audio outputs, with the stereo output sourcing from a dedicated ES9038PRO DAC chip paired with specifically designed buffer and driver stages. Owners can choose from XLR balanced and RCA stereo connectors, with the balanced outputs featuring a true differential signal path from the DAC to the XLR connector (equating to better common-mode noise rejection and signal quality).

UDP-205-internal-hr.jpg

OPPO Digital
The UDP-205 is also designed to deliver stellar performance for headphone listening. It carries a built-in headphone amp that’s connected directly to an ESS SABRE PRO DAC. OPPO says the 205 offers more power and higher performance as compared to its legacy BDP105/105D players.

Other features include a USB DAC (768 kHz PCM and DSD 512) along with coaxial and optical digital audio inputs. Owners can use the USB DAC to bypass the low quality DAC on their computer sound card, turning any computer into a super high quality source. The UDP-205 can also convert digital signals from a wide variety of sources (connected via coax or optical digital) into analog.

It should come as no surprise that OPPO’s published list of components and build quality specs oozes high quality. Everything from the player’s toroidal power supply to its chassis materials should please true enthusiasts. The UDP-205 does sport unique front faceplate styling, with angled curved edges that give it a distinctive look (something we haven't seen from an OPPO player in recent memory).

Pricing of the UPD-205 ($1,299) is roughly double that of the UDP-203 ($549), putting the player in rarified air. Enthusiasts interested in purchasing the UDP-205 can buy it directly from OPPO Digital by clicking here.

UDP-205 Key Specifications
Disc Types:

4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

BD Profile:
BD-ROM Version 3.1 Profile 6 (also compatible with BD-ROM Version 2.5 Profile 5)

Output:
Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio: XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS.
HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, Bitstream.
HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.

Input:
HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, Bitstream.
HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
USB Audio: up to 2ch/768kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz/11.2896MHz DSD.
Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC.

Audio Characteristics (Stereo Audio Output):
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 120dBr
THD+N: < 0.00018%
Output Level: (RCA) 2.1±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms
Dynamic Range: > 120dB
Crosstalk: > 118dB

Analogue Audio Characteristics (Multi-channel Audio Output):
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 120dBr
THD+N: < 0.00031%
Output Level: 2.1±0.2Vrms
Dynamic Range: > 120dB
Crosstalk: > 118dB

Dimensions:
16.8 x 12.2 x 4.8 inches

Weight:
22 lbs

Last edited:

Tonto

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXV-795a
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
Other Speakers or Equipment
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Very nice review Todd, Oppo has always been the go to player when it comes to high quality audio & video. Looks like are kicking the bar up again! Wouldn't it be nice to own one of those sweeties.

Jon Liu

More  
Marantz AV8801
Main Amp
D-Sonic M2500
Additional Amp
Ferrum Audio OOR
Other Amp
Ferrum Audio HYPSOS
DAC
Ferrum Audio ERCO
Oppo Digital UDP-203 / Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
GR Research Rosewood LS9
Center Channel Speaker
GR Research X-Voce
Surround Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Surround Back Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Front Height Speakers
Hifiman Susvara Headphones
Panamax M5500-EX
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C6P Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Screen
LG OLED65G1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
27" iMac
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal, Apple Music
Oh man... I've not owned any of the x5/xx5 series Oppos but I do have a desire to have the additional improvements to the audio stages that they offer. Weren't the 95 and 105 both $999? If so, then the 205 being $1299 is a decent amount more than that. The built in headphone stage is mighty appealing, though! It would pair very nicely with my Oppo PM-1 I'm sure!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This player kills a lot of birds with one stone... as you point out, you're getting a headphone amp and a player with serious audio processing on board.... throw in 4K with HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and you have quite a package!

Top Bottom