Onkyo Reveals Its New TX-NR686 and TX-NR585 7.2 AV Receivers

Onkyo Reveals Its New TX-NR686 and TX-NR585 7.2 AV Receivers

full?d=1523486780.png

(Onkyo) Onkyo's new TX-NR585 (upper left) and TX-NR686 AV receivers
(April 11, 2018) Onkyo has introduced two new members of its 2018 class of Network AV receivers. The TX-NR686 and TX-NR585 both offer 7.2-channels of performance and carry affordable price points that post south of $700.

Headlining the duo is the TX-NR686, which boasts THX Certified Select status and 100 watts of power per channel (8 ohms, 2ch, 20Hz-20kHz). While the TX-NR585 doesn’t carry THX certification, it still offers a healthy 80 watts per channel of performance. Because both are 7.2-channel capable, owners can use either receiver to drive a 5.2.2 immersive speaker arrangement or two separate zones of speakers (one 5.2 and the other stereo). Additionally, the inclusion of Chomecast built-in, DTS Play-Fi, and FlareConnect allows the TX-NR686 and TX-NR585 to run whole-home wireless audio systems tapping both analog and digital sources.

Sound-wise, both receivers offer onboard decoding of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, along with Neural:X and Dolby Surround immersive upmixing solutions. And, of course, legacy codecs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are covered as well. On the Hi-Res Audio front, compatibility is offered for 5.6 MHz DSD and 192 kHz/24-bit FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and ALAC over network or USB input. And a wide array of built-in music streaming options is headlined by Amazon Music, TIDAL, Pandora, and Spotify, in addition to AirPlay and Bluetooth.

Users can control playback using Onkyo’s Onkyo Controller app, Music Control app, or a traditional remote control.

Sound quality is enhanced by Onkyo’s own AccuEQ Acoustic Calibration package, which includes AccuReflex technology that phase-matches directional and non-directional sound on Dolby Atmos speaker systems. Internally, Onkyo touts its front left and right channel VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) as crucial to enjoying stereo sound devoid of high frequency noise.

On the video front, both models carry six rear HDCP2.2 capable HDMI 2.0x inputs, a single HDMI output, and full compatibility with modern 4K video technologies. That means owners can enjoy 4K/60p content with various HDR formats (HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG) and up to BT.2020 color. A single (seventh) front side HDMI port on the TX-NR686 isn’t 4K ready, but can be used for convenient connections with non-4K devices.

The TX-NR686 carries an MSRP of $649 ($899 CAN), while the TR-NR585 costs $549 ($749 CAN). Both are available for purchase now.

Tonto

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXV-795a
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
Other Speakers or Equipment
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
It's great to see Onkyo back in the thick of things. They were such solid performers and easy on the pocket book. I do hope they will jump onboard with Dirac Live one day. That would be incredible!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the update. I agree also, good to see Onkyo products in the market. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It's great to see Onkyo back in the thick of things. They were such solid performers and easy on the pocket book. I do hope they will jump onboard with Dirac Live one day. That would be incredible!

Unfortunately, that’s more than likely not going to happen. Never say never... but I would be shocked.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Yeah since they dropped Audyssey for their proprietary AccuEQ I really don't see Dirac Live nowhere near their units.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Looks like another great value from Onkyo.

I've had a lot of issues with the Audyssey implementation in my Onkyo receiver so it may not be such a great loss that they switched. I'd love to see Dirac too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I wonder if one day Onkyo will carry MCACC now that they bought Pioneer. Better then the current AccuEQ.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I wonder if one day Onkyo will carry MCACC now that they bought Pioneer. Better then the current AccuEQ.

Possibly. I recall reading that Pioneer also licensed some Dirac products and their has been speculation of such a switch. Who knows.

It is my belief that AccuEQ is a refinement of the stock EQ system that comes with these DSP chips and MCACC seems to be fairly similar. The signal path, mixing, and routing are all consistent, as well as the common features.

Top Bottom