OLD REW Windows installer (requires Java 7 or Java 8)

REW Beta Release OLD REW Windows installer (requires Java 7 or Java 8) V5.19 beta 8

You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy submitted a new resource:

V5.19 beta 5 Windows installer (requires Java 7 or Java 8) - Recommended for Windows XP or if Java 7 or Java 8 is already installed

V5.19 beta 5 21st May 2017

• Added Outlaw Audio Model 976 equaliser setting
  • Added a stepped sine distortion measurement capability to the RTA
  • Added configurable distortion high pass and low pass filters to the RTA controls to exclude content outside the chosen frequency span
  • Highest distortion harmonic for sweep measurements changed to 9th, same as RTA
  • Added a control for the highest harmonic that will be used when calculating THD
  • Added buttons in the All SPL controls...
Read more about this resource...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated V5.19 beta 5 Windows installer (requires Java 7 or Java 8) with a new update entry:

V5.19 beta 6 Windows Installer (requires Java 7 or Java 8)

Changes in beta 6:
  • Play a minimum level sine wave before the sweep starts to help with signal lock for digital connections e.g. HDMI
  • Capture the noise floor before sweep and stepped sine measurements
  • Added option to mask distortion harmonics that are below the noise floor (on by default)
  • Show harmonics used in THD calculation in trace name
  • When saving filter coefficients to file for Generic equaliser only include enabled filters
  • Faster operation of the right click...
Read the rest of this update entry...

DMX

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem D2v
Main Amp
Sunfire TGA7401
Additional Amp
(2) Bob Carver Cherry 300 W Vacuum Tube Amplifiers
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Spires Electrostatics
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Stage
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion FX
Subwoofers
(2) SVS SB16
Video Display Device
60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Other Equipment
Moxi 3 Tuner HD DVR
...deleted

Last edited:

DMX

My AV System  
Anthem D2v
Main Amp
Sunfire TGA7401
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Stage
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion FX
Subwoofers
(2) SVS SB16
Video Display Device
60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Other Equipment
Moxi 3 Tuner HD DVR
This is what my Norton told me a few minutes ago...
Clipboard01.jpg

- David

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I think 'Insight Network Threat' means someone has said they think it is a virus. False detections are not uncommon from virus scanners unfortunately, below is the virustotal view of the file.

virustotal.jpg

DMX

My AV System  
Anthem D2v
Main Amp
Sunfire TGA7401
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Stage
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion FX
Subwoofers
(2) SVS SB16
Video Display Device
60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Other Equipment
Moxi 3 Tuner HD DVR
It says right on my report that the detected threat name is WS.Reputation.1, not what someone may have falsely reported. Looking at your virustotal file, I see no check by Norton/Symantec. Do you also consider the viral detection by F-secure false?

Thanks,
David

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, I do. The F-Secure 'detection' only says that the file is an application bundle rather than a single application, which is correct - it has an installer and it has REW itself. From the F-Secure website:

Gen:Variant.Application.Bundler identifies software that is distributed bundled together with other components or programs.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
An application bundle is a collection of software that is distributed as a single package. Bundling applications together is a popular technique used by software vendors to attract customers, who may be interested in only one of the programs in the package but are willing to pay for or accept the entire bundle for the perceived value of having all the included software.

The software included in a bundle is up to the discretion of the software vendor: it can be a program with a separate installer or uninstaller; an operating system and a basic suite of programs; a game and related components; and so on. In more ambiguous cases, the bundled applications may be potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) or Unwanted Applications (UA).​

The virustotal result says F-Secure recognise this as an application bundle (which it is), not that it is a virus, and 63 other virus scanners say the file is clean.

The 'WS.Reputation.1' terminology is Norton's description of something that has been flagged as suspect (per the details in 'Threat Type'), not a recognised virus. I appreciate this can be concerning, but I have encountered similar false detections for other software installers and a bit of googling will show this is by no means a rare occurrence.

Reactions: DMX

EarlK

David,

Please read what Norton themselves say about WS.Reputation.1 reports . .
Norton said:
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

That said ( & to use Nortons own methodology for determining threats ), the wisdom of this ( broad REW user-based ) crowd is that this latest download is free from viruses.

:)

Reactions: DMX

DMX

My AV System  
Anthem D2v
Main Amp
Sunfire TGA7401
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-105
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Stage
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion FX
Subwoofers
(2) SVS SB16
Video Display Device
60" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Other Equipment
Moxi 3 Tuner HD DVR
Thank you, John and Earl for your patience and willingness to explain all things tech about Nortons way of doing things.

pascalhuwart

Registered
Couldn't get it installed on my computer. It seems that I have the latest Java version on a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro 1709.
upload_2018-1-14_9-51-36.png

Here's the message I get when trying to install:

upload_2018-1-14_9-55-34.png

Browsing to my java.exe, I get an error warning:

upload_2018-1-14_9-56-58.png

Any suggestion?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It installs to a different location, but you can install the version with a bundled JRE which is private to REW.

pascalhuwart

Registered
Got it installed with the REW Windows installer with JRE allowing multiple instances V5.19 beta 8.

Thank you.

Top Bottom