Offline Measurements - WAV file issue

burnhamjs

Registered
I am trying to make an offline WAV sweep via the generator in REW to allow me to play a sweep from the PC via JRiver to check my JRiver filters. However, when generating a sweep wav it's putting the acoustical timing reference at the end of the wav so REW won't start listening until after the sweep has played.

Am I doing something wrong? I cannot see any options that would put the timing trigger at the end of the wav. FYI - I'm running the current version of REW (V5.2 Beta 55). If I cannot generate I'd appreciate somebody sending a L, R, and L&R WAV with timing reference at the start.

EDIT: If somebody has a multi-channel (5.1 etc) WAV sweep file with a timing reference at the beginning that would be AWESOME. I can select the individual channels within JRiver.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The timing reference is at the start and the end, so it also allows for sample clock correction.

burnhamjs

Registered
The timing reference is at the start and the end, so it also allows for sample clock correction.
John - appreciate the quick response. I just loaded the file in Audacity - and I do see the timing reference at the beginning (as well as the end). However, what is happening is my AVR takes a couple of seconds to auto source and by the time it does the timing reference has already played (but not through the speakers). I trying to see if I can add some silence at the beginning of the file to allow the AVR time to complete it's auto source check.

burnhamjs

Registered
I was able to add a few seconds of silence to the beginning of the sweep in Audacity - but when I selected the modified file in REW it wouldn't accept is as a valid sweep file. The work around I used was to use both the un-modified and the modified WAV files. I selected the un-modified which allowed me to start the sweep - however, as the AVR wouldn't auto source before the timing reference, REW kept the mic open waiting for the timing reference. While it was waiting I played the modified file via JRiver.

Not sure where the "old" wait for timing reference went - but this work around worked for me.

On another note - while in Audacity I duplicated the sweep to make a total of six tracks then exported this as a multitrack file which mapped out perfectly in JRiver. Now whatever channel(s) I want to test can be selected with JRiver and use the same WAV file.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have changed the measurement sweep files for the next build to have a couple of seconds of 16-bit dither at the start of the file before the measurement signals start.

Top Bottom