Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
IMG_0831.JPG
Onkyo TX RZ920 discussion

Picked up an RZ 920 9.2 channel receiver just after Christmas, I will do a full walk through of the setup and operation along with my thoughts along the way.

First of all the specifications:

Amplification for 5.2.4 channels in Dolby Atmos or 9.2 channel soround
135 Watts - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels
175 Watts - 6 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.9% - 1 channels
Class D amplification
36lbs

THX select certified
Dolby Atmos
DTS X
Dolby Vision

Seven HDMI inputs plus one on the front all HDCP 2.2 compliant
Two HDMI outputs

Supports HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision™, BT.2020,
4K/60 Hz, and HDCP 2.2

The unboxing:

IMG_0830.JPG

Opening the box, inside is the receiver, remote, manual, AM and FM antenna's, room EQ mic, power cord and batteries

The receiver is solid, and weighs 36lbs. now thats a fair bit lighter than my previous Onkyo TXSR805 @54lbs (I was reminded of its weight as I pulled it off the shelf in my AV rack last night) but given the RZ920 has class D amps this weight is expected to be less. After labeling all my connections as I pulled them of the old Onkyo I was glad I did as I dont have a light in the closet where I access the back of the rack (note to self, install light).
back.jpg
The RZ920 has 7 HDMI inputs so that will future proof it for some time as I was finding that on occasion that I was having to swap HDMI cables on the old Onkyo because it only had 3. The 920 also has another HDMI input under the front flap for hooking up a video camera or other device. The 920 also has a number of analog composite inputs including a phono input (something lacking on many newer receivers these days). It also has pre outs for all 11 channels including the height used for Atmos.

The one thing missing on this receiver is a switched outlet for that matter it has no power outlet at all and I might note as well that the supplied removable power cord is much lighter AWG than my previous 805 and thus my immediate decision was to keep using the one that came with the 805 instead as the plug shape was identical.

The speaker binding posts are solid and my speaker wires went into them without fuss, I noted that the posts seem to be spaced farther apart than standard so if you use banana plugs that are joined they probably wont fit. A really good idea is Onkyo at some point has decided that putting a clear plastic sheet along the back side of the receiver all the way along the area where the binding posts are located to protect it from any possible shorts due to sloppy installation of the speaker wires due to loose strands touching the frame (Great idea Onkyo!)
remote.jpg
The remote control, well thats a bit of a letdown if your expecting something as grand as the one included in the old 805 era. Its much smaller and very basic. It has no glow in the dark labels or lit buttons. Onkyo has decided to go the direction of many and start using the Onkyo App on a phone if your looking for better functionality.
The receiver is equipped with bluetooth and both 2.4G and 5G wireless so its kind of hard to not use an app as it can be used anywhere within range of the receivers/home wireless network. It also has built in Chromcast and a USB port for music file playback.

Another small nitpick that I have is the sourse button labels on the receiver are very small and at my age (48) my eyesight is not what it used to be and reading them in a dimly lit room is really hard. This also goes for the other buttons under the flap.

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

Initial setup

Powering up the receiver for the first time gives you the above images, moving through the steps was painless and once the wireless was connected I went straight to the Firmware update screen (not really sure why this is not the very first step in the list as you would think you would want to have the latest version installed before doing any other setup) the update took less than 20 min and the display on the Onkyo showed a status percentage all along the way.
image.jpg
Moving back into the AccuEQ room correction setup I was prompted to first select my speaker configuration so currently that is a 7.1 setup with no Atmos speakers yet installed. Plugging in the mic I was then prompted to be quiet (something that's almost impossible in the house with 3 daughters, a dog and of course the wife). The series of clicks, humm's and buzzing went around the room for a long time (AccuEQ takes a lot more samples from each speaker and sub than my previous Audessey Multi EQ XT did however AccuEQ only reads one position) I tried twice to do the setup but there was too much noise so I opted to wait till later this afternoon to continue when I will kick everyone out for an hour LOL.

In the meantime I proceeded to get my iPod hooked up and played a few farmilur tracks including Lee Ritenours album Six String Theory running with no room EQ sounded really clean and clear, lows were solid and hit like it should. I'm still running my mains with an external amp (Samson servo 600) so the receivers internal amps are not being used in two channel mode. So I can not comment right now on how the class D amps sound.
Even with AccuEQ done on the first couple tries with some background interference from the family the sound is actually very good. I'm going to say even better than my old setup. Imaging on my EVs in stereo is really solid.
I put A CD in my Denon DNT625 that I rairely play by an unknown group called Iona (Beyond these shores) a female vocal band that also has a number of really good instrumental tracks that are very airy and light with some nicely recorded strings, flute and other wind instruments along with drums and percussion and electric guitar. The sound was crisp and really felt natural.
I put in the album from Fourplay, Esprit De Four and played the song by the same name and again really smooth and dynamic I'm becoming more and more sold on the quality of my upgrade choice.
Finally I put in a live album that I have that is done so well that it dose not even sound like it was recorded live. It's by a Christian group called Mosaic MSC (glory and wonder) the dynamics of this album are really good with lots of imaging. Again, my system has not sound better.
One thing that stands out on the sound of this receiver is that it has let my EVs shine in the imaging department, the highs are less restrained than they were with the old 805 that I had. I'm not sure if it's because AccuEQ does less with the EQ settings on the mains but it sure sounds great! There is very little difference in sound other than more low end switching between pur direct mode and stereo (this is a good thing)

AccuEQ does still apply distance and other phase adjustments to the main channels from what I can tell as it gives you the option to apply EQ to the mains or bypass when in the settings so maybe they have changed how it is done after a few generations of it.
image.jpg
So after getting some quiet time I properly ran AccuEQ and the results are still great. The speaker crossovers were all set at 40hz which is accurate but I put them back up to 80hz and I set my mains to full range as they are and I put the sub at 80hz (it had selected 120hz) I have my Yamaha YDP2006 EQs bypassed at this point as the sound is so good I actually feel there is nothing more that I want to change. Once I run REW I will see if anything needs attention.
image.jpg
There is also a section to adjust the EQ manually for each channel and a menu for Standing wave (it has chosen 3 filters) see image.
image.jpg

All I can say is results are positive. At the end of my review in the next week I will post some REW graphs to show what it's doing.

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Ok, so tonight I sat down and powered up the system and put on some of the DTS x and Dolby trueHD demo trailers that I have. One of them being the DTSX "all around us" and "object emulator" The sound is dynamic to say the least. There are a couple parts where my pant legs moved from the bass. This also goes for the THX "amazing life" trailer it hit hard and the subs lows were deep and clean.

I have several demo trailers that demonstrate really well object sounds from all around the room. The Dolby trailer "unfold" and "audiosphere" are great examples of this and is a great demo. Channel separation is fantastic and you really feel like it is moving around you.

Below is the final results of running AccuEQ and it sounds really good. Red line is sub only and blue line is sub and mains together.

Sub and mains.jpg

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Final results are in: Very happy with the Onkyo TX RZ920

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Great write up Tony! Interesting comments about how you feel the new receiver is treating your mains - sound-wise. That's gotta fall squarely in the EQ department. If I'm not mistaken, AccuEQ only sets distance and level for the mains?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
During setup AccuEQ gave me the option to not do the mains or to apply EQ so they seem to have changed how they do things

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
And you chose no? You say that your mains sound less restrained... what does that mean?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Sorry, I selected yes to allow AccuEQ to apply EQ to the mains as well.

My mains sound more rich and the highs are much more forward than before almost as if someone took a thin blanket off of them (maybe thats because the range between 2 and 5k is less restrained). The imaging also seems to be better.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
And you didn't move your speakers at all?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Nope, they are right under the screen as Ive always had them.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Nice work Tony... sounds like you are very happy with it and it's working well for you. The AccuEQ is much better than I thought it would be. :T

Bent1

Registered
More  
OnkyoTX-RZ920
Main Amp
1976 Panasonic RD-3600 TurnTable
Additional Amp
audio-technica AT-LP120 DD Pro T.T.
LG Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player Model UP970
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Tower 3&1/2 way Speaker's
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellite Speakers/SVS Prime Satellite S
Front Height Speakers
Coming soon
Subwoofers
SVS PC13-ULTRA Sub-Woofer
JVC TD-W217 Cassette Deck, Panasonic RS-612 C Deck
Video Display Device
2017 LG65SJ8500 LED
Screen
LED
Remote Control
LG Magic Remote For TV
Streaming Subscriptions
SONY-CD, CDP-CE500, 1976 PANASONIC - RD-3600 T-T
View attachment 6232 View attachment 6233

Initial setup

Powering up the receiver for the first time gives you the above images, moving through the steps was painless and once the wireless was connected I went straight to the Firmware update screen (not really sure why this is not the very first step in the list as you would think you would want to have the latest version installed before doing any other setup) the update took less than 20 min and the display on the Onkyo showed a status percentage all along the way.
View attachment 6244
Moving back into the AccuEQ room correction setup I was prompted to first select my speaker configuration so currently that is a 7.1 setup with no Atmos speakers yet installed. Plugging in the mic I was then prompted to be quiet (something that's almost impossible in the house with 3 daughters, a dog and of course the wife). The series of clicks, humm's and buzzing went around the room for a long time (AccuEQ takes a lot more samples from each speaker and sub than my previous Audessey Multi EQ XT did however AccuEQ only reads one position) I tried twice to do the setup but there was too much noise so I opted to wait till later this afternoon to continue when I will kick everyone out for an hour LOL.

In the meantime I proceeded to get my iPod hooked up and played a few farmilur tracks including Lee Ritenours album Six String Theory running with no room EQ sounded really clean and clear, lows were solid and hit like it should. I'm still running my mains with an external amp (Samson servo 600) so the receivers internal amps are not being used in two channel mode. So I can not comment right now on how the class D amps sound.
Even with AccuEQ done on the first couple tries with some background interference from the family the sound is actually very good. I'm going to say even better than my old setup. Imaging on my EVs in stereo is really solid.
I put A CD in my Denon DNT625 that I rairely play by an unknown group called Iona (Beyond these shores) a female vocal band that also has a number of really good instrumental tracks that are very airy and light with some nicely recorded strings, flute and other wind instruments along with drums and percussion and electric guitar. The sound was crisp and really felt natural.
I put in the album from Fourplay, Esprit De Four and played the song by the same name and again really smooth and dynamic I'm becoming more and more sold on the quality of my upgrade choice.
Finally I put in a live album that I have that is done so well that it dose not even sound like it was recorded live. It's by a Christian group called Mosaic MSC (glory and wonder) the dynamics of this album are really good with lots of imaging. Again, my system has not sound better.
One thing that stands out on the sound of this receiver is that it has let my EVs shine in the imaging department, the highs are less restrained than they were with the old 805 that I had. I'm not sure if it's because AccuEQ does less with the EQ settings on the mains but it sure sounds great! There is very little difference in sound other than more low end switching between pur direct mode and stereo (this is a good thing)

AccuEQ does still apply distance and other phase adjustments to the main channels from what I can tell as it gives you the option to apply EQ to the mains or bypass when in the settings so maybe they have changed how it is done after a few generations of it.
View attachment 6245
So after getting some quiet time I properly ran AccuEQ and the results are still great. The speaker crossovers were all set at 40hz which is accurate but I put them back up to 80hz and I set my mains to full range as they are and I put the sub at 80hz (it had selected 120hz) I have my Yamaha YDP2006 EQs bypassed at this point as the sound is so good I actually feel there is nothing more that I want to change. Once I run REW I will see if anything needs attention.
View attachment 6247
There is also a section to adjust the EQ manually for each channel and a menu for Standing wave (it has chosen 3 filters) see image.
View attachment 6246

All I can say is results are positive. At the end of my review in the next week I will post some REW graphs to show what it's doing.

Hello Tony, I'm to be receiving my TX-RZ920 next week some time from Onkyo doing the recall on my TX-NR809 receiver, I just have purchased new speakers from SVS and have the Prime Tower's, 4 Prime Satellite speakers, the Prime Center speaker, and of course couldn't do with-out the last of the run PC13-Ultra Sub-Woofer, I have it pretty tweeted but any advice for when I receive the new 920 next week. Any would be appreciated. Ben

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Hey Ben, welcome aboard AV NIRVANA :wave:

So far I've had no issues or complaints, there was a firmware update right after I set it up and that went without any problems as well. I must say that it runs way cooler than my old 805 does.

Your system is going to rock! If I was in the market to replace my speakers Im fairly certain it would be with the SVS Ultra's

Bent1

Registered
More  
OnkyoTX-RZ920
Main Amp
1976 Panasonic RD-3600 TurnTable
Additional Amp
audio-technica AT-LP120 DD Pro T.T.
LG Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc player Model UP970
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Tower 3&1/2 way Speaker's
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime Center
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellite Speakers/SVS Prime Satellite S
Front Height Speakers
Coming soon
Subwoofers
SVS PC13-ULTRA Sub-Woofer
JVC TD-W217 Cassette Deck, Panasonic RS-612 C Deck
Video Display Device
2017 LG65SJ8500 LED
Screen
LED
Remote Control
LG Magic Remote For TV
Streaming Subscriptions
SONY-CD, CDP-CE500, 1976 PANASONIC - RD-3600 T-T
Hey Ben, welcome aboard AV NIRVANA :wave:

So far I've had no issues or complaints, there was a firmware update right after I set it up and that went without any problems as well. I must say that it runs way cooler than my old 805 does.

Your system is going to rock! If I was in the market to replace my speakers Im fairly certain it would be with the SVS Ultra's

Thanks Tony, Well Tony I could only afford to purchase the Prime line of their speaker's and now that my 45 days are up I'm going Rock! with these Prime. Man I am in sound haven here and can't wait to get that RZ920 here and running. I like the articles you have done on this set of speaker's and you help me decide and others that the prime tower's are the way to go with a room my size. I really could only in my opinion afford to go with these and have no regret. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes here. Ben, PS: the picture I posted for my profile is the set up I have right now, tweeting it some more & rest of wires in wall & more.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
There is nothing wrong with SVS prime speakers, they faired really well against some much higher end speakers in a comparison some others did some time ago. You won't be dissapointed

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I agree on the Primes. Just make sure you take the time to put them in the best position to succeed in your room, and you should be good to go!

Check out Wayne's Prime Tower review: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/svs-prime-tower-review.2589/

Lots of good info there.

And welcome to AV NIRVANA! Glad to have you onboard!

squish72

would this 920 be much of an upgrade from my 818? My current receiver is on the recall list so I can get the 920 at a pretty good discount. Would it be worth it?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
I have had no issues with it to this point. I would say go for it. Acu EQ is better than I thought it would be.

squish72

In your pictures you have an adjustable eq, is that able to be used with acueq or is that with acueq off. On my 818 I can only adjust manually with audyssey off. Is each speaker able to be adjusted or just as pairs?

Daren

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-RZ920
LG UBK90
I just bought this and I think a couple quirks are annoying but it’s a really good receiver. I don’t like that you have to hit the info button just so you can see the audio information.

Also, I believe this is a quirk but in my 5.1.4 setup (front and back height speakers) the Onkyo display is confusing. I can hear the Atmos sound great and on the configuration screen it’s setup correctly. However, the display only shows the filling as if I only had one set of front height speakers which is confusing.

I double checked the manual and it said the rear Heights should be connected to Surround not Surroind back.

Attachments

• 76BEA081-D1D3-4E8B-A2CB-F29AD53A0972.jpeg
    76BEA081-D1D3-4E8B-A2CB-F29AD53A0972.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 46

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Hi Daren, have you gone through the auto speaker setup in the acuEQ and told the receiver that you are using 5.1.4. Also have you run test tones using the level calibration menus to make sure you have sound correctly going to each speaker?

Atmos will only work if your sending Atmos encoded audio to the receiver.

Daren

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX-RZ920
LG UBK90
Hi Daren, have you gone through the auto speaker setup in the acuEQ and told the receiver that you are using 5.1.4. Also have you run test tones using the level calibration menus to make sure you have sound correctly going to each speaker?

Atmos will only work if your sending Atmos encoded audio to the receiver.

I have gone through auto-calibration and yes on the configuration screen set it to 5.1.4. Also, when I run the test tones it shows on that screen the correct configuration on that screen too.

As I stated when playing ATMOS sound is coming out of all the speakers when I play an ATMOS source.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
If Atmos tracks play fine I am confused as to what you are having issues with? Are you saying sounds from Atmos tracks are playing out of your mains also?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
I double checked the manual and it said the rear Heights should be connected to Surround not Surroind back.
The Atmos speakers should be connected to the "Height channels" not soround channels.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Have you gone into the settings and designated your front Atmos channels properly? I'm not entirely familiar with the Onkyo settings, but quite a few brands will designate front channels as wall-mounted height channels post calibration, necessitating you to dig into the settings and change them to ceiling mounted channels.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom