Not sure how to read this cfg

jrobbins50

Bernt, I'm giving a little help to a new AL/HQP user over at the Roon forum who has run AL and produced .wav files for HQP. I've shortened one entry from the 5.1 cfg here to ask my questions. This user has stereo 3-way speakers so that is his "MCH" configuration.

Easy enough here for me to see that this is the source channel 1, mix channel 4 entry in HQP. It's the four entries for gain that confuse me.

C:\Users\0_48.wav
0.63246 2.31623 3.0 4.63246

I'm used to the sum of multiple gain entries being 1. Not the case here, so I don't know how to interpret what this is, and thus what to tell this other user to input into HQP. I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks. JCR

jrobbins50

One other followup to the question above. It seems that this user I am helping must have measured his left and right 3-way speakers separately, rather than using the all-in-one method. Accordingly, he has a separate cfg for left and right channels, and separate sets of .wav files for each. I assume that, once you set me straight on the gain entries above, we just input into HQP first the left entries (tying them to the left .wav files) and then the right entries (tying them to the right .wav files). So, it just creates more manual labor for setup with double the number of entry lines in HQP. Do I have this understanding correct? JCR

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Bernt, I'm giving a little help to a new AL/HQP user over at the Roon forum who has run AL and produced .wav files for HQP. I've shortened one entry from the 5.1 cfg here to ask my questions. This user has stereo 3-way speakers so that is his "MCH" configuration.

Easy enough here for me to see that this is the source channel 1, mix channel 4 entry in HQP. It's the four entries for gain that confuse me.

C:\Users\0_48.wav
0.63246 2.31623 3.0 4.63246

I'm used to the sum of multiple gain entries being 1. Not the case here, so I don't know how to interpret what this is, and thus what to tell this other user to input into HQP. I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks. JCR
Inputs are left, center and side left (or something similar), right?
I assume output is a sub. The center has half the gain of the other two, I assume it is sharing the load with another woofer.

The reason left and side lefte does not have gain of 1.0 is because +10 dB amplification of LFE is enabled.

These numbers can be a bit odd from time to time to preserve maximum gain in the filters for e.g. stereo playback. The number typically go down if the sub(s) can't produce 10 dB extra compared to the other speakers.

jrobbins50

No sub. An open baffle three way. I've attached the photo of the speaker in question here. Not sure what channels he has mapped. He seems to know how to use AL so I am just looking at his cfg files to instruct him how to map the info into HQP.

The config specs you link above don't quite explain, so let me ask just a bit more here.

As you know, in HQP, the entries are Source Channel, Gain, Mix Channel and then the link to the applicable .wav file.

Based on what I see above, I'd enter as follows (as you know, HQP moves each channel up one from the respective AL channel):

Source Channel Gain Mix Channel
1 .63246 4
1 2.31623 4
1 3.0 4
1 4.63246 4

Each of the above four entries would link to the same .wav file.

Does that seem correct? Thanks. JCR

Attachments

• 3Way.jpeg
    3Way.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10

jrobbins50

Sorry, the posting didn't respect the spacing I created like a chart for the HQP lines above. Each "1" is the source channel. Each "4" is the mix channel. Everything in between is intended to be the entries for the Gain. JCR

Top Bottom