New user advice please

Steviewunda

Hi all - I am about to try AL for the first time. I have used REW before to configure my sub/MiniDSP/mains, so I'm not entirely new to the process.
My home theatre system does double duty as my stereo music system as well as for watching movies, TV, etc - but I'm most interested in using AL to fine tune my music listening. My system consists of: well-specced Windows 10 HTPC with JRiver 27 feeding movies and TV to a Denon AVC-X3700H. The Denon is connected by speaker terminals to center and surround speakers, by sub-out to one active SVS SB2000 sub, and by pre-out to a Hegel H190 integrated amp which powers the 2 front Magnepan 1.7's for a 5.1 surround configuration. I also have a LP12 turntable connected via iFi iPhono3 phono stage to the Hegel, and I play digital music files from the HTPC via a Denafrips DAC to the Hegel.

I have taken the MiniDSP out of the system, and I would like to be able to use AL for crossover functions, time alignment, FR correction, etc. I would like to use AL's crossover functions to divert sub frequencies from the Magnepans and the Hegel amp to the sub - and I'm assuming AL has this functionality. But I assume that I would have to run the turntable output through the HTPC somehow for AL and JRiver to be able to accomplish this.

I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding the best way to achieve this, including how to configure the Denon AVR - do I disable Audyssey? How do I configure the AVR speaker settings and crossovers before doing measurements in AL? Should I use AL for surround 5.1 correction, or 2.1, or 2.0? As I said, I'm most interested in enhancing my music listening, but if I can improve everything - even better ;)

Cheers
Steve

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
I am not familiar with the Denon unit.

You should disable Audyssesy for sure.

Can you configure your hardware so that the PC (and Audiolense) sees all the speakers as separate entities, including the sub?

Steviewunda

Yes the PC sees all the speakers as separate entities if I select 'Denon-AVR (Nvidia High Definition Audio) as default audio device in Windows. I just completed measurement and filter generation in AL using 'DENON-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio (WASAPI)' as Playback device, and 'ASIO4ALL v2 (ASIO)' as Microphone Input Device. (Should I select 'Mic: Umik-1 Gain: 18dB (WASAPI)' as input device, or doesn't it matter?) This is in Demo mode which won't play using 5.1 surround filters - so I'll need to try in 2.0 mode in order to play anything in JRiver.
My main problem is knowing what settings I should use in the Denon AVR. I can disable Audyssey, but what crossover settings should I select so that I can use AL for crossover purposes (I believe that disabling Audyssey doesn't affect crossover settings in the Denon).
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

jrobbins50

I am not sure you can shut off the crossover in Denon units, much as you can’t on my Marantz AV-8802A, except for the MCH pass through inputs. For my 2-channel listening, I shut of Audyssey on the selected input but use the Marantz crossover between mains and subs. In this case, AL sees only 2 channels: left main + subs and right main + subs. I get great sound, but can only use AL crossovers for my MCH DAC, which is routed into the pass through inputs. JCR

kejar31

Registered
I have the 3700. If you want to use the receiver without using any of its features, Audyssey etc and want to turn crossovers off etc just put it in direct / pure mode.

With this I was still able to acccess the sub on the 4th channel. You will need to create your own crossover in Audiolense though.

You can easily validate this with a simple sweep measurement in REW.

Steviewunda

I have the 3700. If you want to use the receiver without using any of its features, Audyssey etc and want to turn crossovers off etc just put it in direct / pure mode.

With this I was still able to acccess the sub on the 4th channel. You will need to create your own crossover in Audiolense though.

You can easily validate this with a simple sweep measurement in REW.

Thanks Kejar31 - what do you mean by the 4th channel?

kejar31

Registered
Thanks Kejar31 - what do you mean by the 4th channel?

0=Front Left
1=Front Right
2=Center
3= LFE
4=Rear Left
5=Rear Right
6=Surround Left
7=Surround Right

So when you go to run your sweeps via AudioLense you will need to set the numbers as listed to match your channels.

This is also true with REW etc.

Top Bottom