Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Audio Research
Main Amp
Bryston
Front Speakers
Magnepan 20
Subwoofers
SVS 16 Ultra
I am trying to improve sound of 2 channel stereo system: Magnepan fronts and a sub

I use JRiver as "player" for digital music

My dealer has run REW test sweep and 10 PEQ filters were suggested to improve low end response

JRiver allows infinite number of PEQ filters to be installed.

Presuming I can configure JRiver correctly (this is a whole other ballgame and I can't get a response on JRiver so far to be sure I am doing it correctly), how would one test again with REW to see what is happening as REW test tones would be via preamp input 1 and Jriver (with the PEQ filters installed) would be Preamp input 2? Hence , the effects of JRiver PEQ filters would be unknown to REW

Thanks in advance for help, advice

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hopefully John can help. Basically you need Jriver to play the test tones instead of rew. There is a way to do this but John is the one to explain exactly how.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
It’s highly doubtful that you actually need 10 filters for bass response. Typically this kind of over-equalizing, chasing every little ripple in response, does not sound as good as simply eliminating the worst deviations. Here’s some reading on the subject:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...els-hard-knee-house-curve-long.html#post55647

That said, I don’t know of filters generated in a software program behave the same in this regard as those from an outboard equalizer – perhaps some else can comment.

Regards,
Wayne

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
It’s highly doubtful that you actually need 10 filters for bass response. Typically this kind of over-equalizing, chasing every little ripple in response, does not sound as good as simply eliminating the worst deviations. Here’s some reading on the subject:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...els-hard-knee-house-curve-long.html#post55647

That said, I don’t know of filters generated in a software program behave the same in this regard as those from an outboard equalizer – perhaps some else can comment.

Regards,
Wayne

Wayne I tend to agree with you as do a number of experts. Jriver is still IIR so they behave the same. Jriver has a convolver that allows FIR filters but I don't think those make sense at low frequencies.

When I was first practicing Earl Geddes multi-Sub optimization approach, Earl kept telling me to limit myself to just 3-4 filters. That if I need more something is wrong.

I find that sub placement, low pass filter, and delay are the primary tool to play with initially. I also rely on averaged responses and not single point measurements to create my eq filters, which I think is critical (and I exclude anomolies or extreme measurements). I also set my response curve such that the peaks are all above the line. I don't even do a midpoint. I actually bring everything down since it allows me to avoid boost. That gives considerable headroom advantages.

I will say that I've found it better to avoid eqing the sub alone against a sub curve. I use a full range curve and EQ based on the averages of L+subs and R+subs. I have found this gives better results in the very difficult crossover region.

Of course there are no hard and fast rules here, short of excessive boost, if it works use it.

Here is a single seat measurement of the L+sub with no EQ, just somewhat optimized integration.

43A3D449-AFE0-46ED-984E-5CD310A07EF8.jpeg

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Thanks for clarifying about the Jriver equalization. I'm something of hardware geek and prefer to do my equalization there, so that it covers all source components, thus I'm out of the loop regarding EQ from software programs.

I also set my response curve such that the peaks are all above the line. I don't even do a midpoint. I actually bring everything down since it allows me to avoid boost. That gives considerable headroom advantages.

Did you have to increase the level of the sub after you equalized like that? If so you didn’t gain any headroom.

Rather than sidetrack this thread, I’ll refer you to a couple of external posts on the topic.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/28325-my-first-rew-attempt-4.html#post262132

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au.../1387919-did-i-eq-correctly.html#post21516881

Regards,
Wayne

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Thanks for clarifying about the Jriver equalization. I'm something of hardware geek and prefer to do my equalization there, so that it covers all source components, thus I'm out of the loop regarding EQ from software programs.

Did you have to increase the level of the sub after you equalized like that? If so you didn’t gain any headroom.

Rather than sidetrack this thread, I’ll refer you to a couple of external posts on the topic.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/28325-my-first-rew-attempt-4.html#post262132

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au.../1387919-did-i-eq-correctly.html#post21516881

Regards,
Wayne

We have different EQ philosophies so I now see why you were confused. Yes the level was raised but not by as much as the RMS power was reduced so overall the amp had more dynamic range left.

Top Bottom