Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
Hi

I've had a dedicated Home Theatre now for over 20 years.
Designed everything myself, from room dimensions, to speaker & sub design and build, through to acoustic treatment, etc.
I used REW extensively, and still rely on it today.

We are now down-sizing our home, and I'm going to lose my beautiful home theatre.
However the house we are moving into does have a small "media room". But it's just a basic bare room with drywall on timber framed walls and ceiling.
The room dimensions are 4m (13'1") x 3.3m (10"10") x 2.5m (8'3") high.

But my limited knowledge has faded over the years and I need some guidance in the initial testing of the room using REW.
In particular, I need a tutorial on Impulse and RT60 testing and understanding the results.

If anyone can point me some good tutorials, that would be wonderful.

If a Moderator (or anyone) thinks this post would be better of in another forum (REW?), please let me know. :sarcastic:

EDIT - Actually I've found some in-depth articles that John Mulcahy has written on Impulse and RT60 graphs.
John normally writes most articles in simple layman's terms, so I'll sink my teeth in his articles and see if I can retain any of the information.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Sorry to learn you lost your theater room... that would be a sad day for me, no doubt. At least you are getting something back.

I don't know that RT60 will do much good in a small room, from what I've read on it in various places. I believe that has more to do with reverberation in larger rooms, which we generally won't get in a our smaller rooms. I'm certainly no expert on it, so I could be misinformed. Impulse and ETC should help with reflections and testing. In this small of a room, I believe absorption panels are likely going to be important.

Nordo

More  
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Sub amp - Behringer EP2500
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Screen
Thanks Sonnie.
I had also read that RT60 was meant for large venues (although T30 can be helpful?).

The sad thing about my current home theatre is that we had put the house up for sale with the home theatre as a feature, complete with ALL the equipment (good excuse to update all my gear ;) ).
However the people who have bought the property don't want a home theatre and are going to add some windows and turn the room into a gym????????:coocoo:

Bottom line is that I get to keep all my equipment. Which is a bummer because I don't get to upgrade my equipment (the boss won't let me).

pratul

More  
Anthem AVM 70
Main Amp
Anthem MCA 20
Additional Amp
Anthem MCA 50
Other Amp
Monoprice Monolith 7x200
Oppo
Front Speakers
M&K S-150 THX
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S-150 THX
Surround Speakers
M&K SS-150 THX
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS-250 THX
Front Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Rear Height Speakers
Monoprice Caliber
Subwoofers
M&K MX5000 M2 x2 + SVS PB-16 Ultra x 2
Video Display Device
JVC RS40U
Screen
Stewart 120" Greyhawk
Streaming Equipment
ROKU Ultra2
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Xfinity
Satellite System
People still use satellite systems? ;)
Hi

Designed everything myself, from room dimensions, to speaker & sub design and build, through to acoustic treatment, etc.

We are now down-sizing our home, and I'm going to lose my beautiful home theatre.
However the house we are moving into does have a small "media room". But it's just a basic bare room with drywall on timber framed walls and ceiling.

But my limited knowledge has faded over the years and I need some guidance in the initial testing of the room using REW.
In particular, I need a tutorial on Impulse and RT60 testing and understanding the results.

If a Moderator (or anyone) thinks this post would be better of in another forum (REW?), please let me know. :sarcastic:

EDIT - Actually I've found some in-depth articles that John Mulcahy has written on Impulse and RT60 graphs.
John normally writes most articles in simple layman's terms, so I'll sink my teeth in his articles and see if I can retain any of the information.

Hello: sorry to hear you are loosing the theater you worked so hard to build. However, on the positive side you get to build a whole new one!
Could you share the article you found on impulse? I have been looking for one myself.
Thanks and wish you the best with the new theater build.

Nordo

More  
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Screen
Hello: sorry to hear you are loosing the theater you worked so hard to build. However, on the positive side you get to build a whole new one!
Could you share the article you found on impulse? I have been looking for one myself.
Thanks and wish you the best with the new theater build.
As far as my wife's concerned, I've had my fun, and there'll be no fully equipped HT at the new house.
However, the floor plan says that one room is a "media room", so I have a good basis to start my argument.

I would love to at least do some sound treatment.
My current HT I designed and built from scratch. So the room was heavily treated before I did my first REW test.
This time I intend to test the room and analyse the data before I do any treatment. Which is a lot more exciting for me, because I will be able to see the effect of each treatment.
It may be a slow process as I gradually work on SWMBO (she who must be obeyed). :T

hemiutut

Hi

I recommend the Jesco channel

This video for example is very good

Greetings

Nordo

More  
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Screen
I'm well aware of the theory of bass traps (must be off the wall where the wave has at least some velocity).

Recently though, it has crossed my mind that if the walls of your room are timber framed, with drywall on one or both sides, then lower frequencies will not have zero velocity and maximum pressure at the wall face.
I've never seen any comments regarding this theory of mine, but it makes me confused as to how to approach low frequency control i.e. bass traps.

hemiutut

If you are a handyman, you make some porous absorbent panels (speed) of the maximum possible thickness to treat all the first reflections and corners and you can practically be very calm.
Of course, I recommend panels 20 cm thick and 40 to 60 cm thick in the corners.

In Spain, using Knauf Tabyk-p or TP116 wool whose resistance to air flow is 5 (AFr) kPa / m2, we do a treatment with a very moderate investment.

I recommend the Jesco channel, getting a radical change in our rooms is very easy.
Of course, nothing to put absorbent panels of 8-10 cm thick in first reflections as I see in countless rooms and above they are accompanied by carpets or carpets.
This video is very good for people to understand what I mean.

Greetings and you will surely get what you are looking for.

Top Bottom