Need a new graphics or video card - what should I look for?

L. Hunter Kevil

Registered
I have a very old nVidia card, GeForce Experience. Connecting the desktop to my AVR via hdmi does not work. I gather I want to have screen mirroring with the desktop controlling the TV attached to the AVR. I cannot get this to happen and assume it is because the old card just does not support this.

I'd like to buy an inexpensive card but do not know if there is specification for me to look for. I would also like to use this setup for jRiver, since wireless is flaky. What should I look for in a video card? Thanks in advance.

L. Hunter Kevil

Registered
Nno responses yet. Perhaps I am asking the wrong question. Here's a different one:

Could an hdmi splitter, one end to my PC's monitor and the other to my AVR - could this work with REW?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I have had good luck with ASUS products... Motherboards, GFX cards, Monitors and Laptops... And nVidia is a pretty popular GFX processor manufacture... Look for an ASUS GFX card that is current, utilizes an nVidia processor, meets your needs and is inexpensive... ASUS makes a sh_load... https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Series-Products/ You might look for a GFX card with two or more HDMI ports ;^)

Not knowing anything about your system, I would make sure the bus types are compatible (PCIe?)... And the power supply can handle any additional watts the new GFX card would consume over the original...

Last edited:
Top Bottom