Xbox One, Ps4
Finally happy with what I have set up!

2 infinity composition 3
2 martin Logan motion 12
Some crap Klipsch center
2 boston acoustic rs260
Denon s900w
Reaction audio bps-215
Older svs clylindrcial sub still haven’t confirmed model.
PS4 Gold edition
Xbox one X
60 inch Vizio 4K Hdr, don’t know the model.
Starting to sound pretty decent, just need to toss that center for a matching infinity speaker.

‘Two smaller Klipsch bookshelf’s in front of the fender deluxes’ are the r-15ms. Taking those to the bedroom.’

Attachments

• 614ED2BC-06DB-4DBB-A662-38F6339B4078.jpeg
    614ED2BC-06DB-4DBB-A662-38F6339B4078.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 36EE4F67-0279-4767-AF41-08A8E3DD2D1A.jpeg
    36EE4F67-0279-4767-AF41-08A8E3DD2D1A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 63C1D016-AA3D-4DC5-B0A8-24F2E911CED0.jpeg
    63C1D016-AA3D-4DC5-B0A8-24F2E911CED0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Very nice setup. Congrats! :)

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Nice setup! Looks like you're super far along in your HT journey!

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Looks great.

I imagine a matching center will make a big difference. Any time you can get some good tonal matching across the front stage it's a good thing.

In the mean time you might try turning the center channel and doing a 4.1 system with phantom center. Many have found that to sound better. I even prefer that when the matching center isn't up to the level of the L and R speakers. Can't hurt to try.

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
Nice setup! Looks like you're super far along in your HT journey!
Haha I’m kind of all over the place honesty. Just can’t stop the upgrade bug and keep finding decent deals online locally. It’s been fun playing around.

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
Looks great.

I imagine a matching center will make a big difference. Any time you can get some good tonal matching across the front stage it's a good thing.

In the mean time you might try turning the center channel and doing a 4.1 system with phantom center. Many have found that to sound better. I even prefer that when the matching center isn't up to the level of the L and R speakers. Can't hurt to try.

I’m probably going to move all three Klipsch to the bedroom and get rid of the center like you said. Hopefully I can come across a used center somewhere. The klispch definitely doesn’t match.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Looks good! :T

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I’m probably going to move all three Klipsch to the bedroom and get rid of the center like you said. Hopefully I can come across a used center somewhere. The klispch definitely doesn’t match.

Yeah I think you have a great start. Finding good speakers used is a great way to build a nice media space for less money. Having all of the speakers (other than subwoofers) tonally match is good, but it is the front three that are most critical. The Klipsch speakers tend to have a sound unique to Klipsch. Some people love them and some do not. I'm not personally a huge fan. That unique sound does tend to make it so they would not blend with different brands all that well. Both of your towers are notably more refined that the Klipsch, with a smoother and more natural sound. They don't tend to cut through loud action and may not play as loud, which is why some folks prefer the Klipsch sound.

Since the Infinity is a little older, you might also look for a match to the Martin Logan's, it's possible the center will be easier to find. The Infinitys are great speakers, but I think they are about 10-15 years old, so it might be harder to find a matching center (then again, if you do find one, it might also be cheaper).

Have you checked out REW yet? That is probably the single biggest upgrade you can make. Smoothing out the bass tends to have a dramatic effect even at other frequencies not addressed, as well as help you discover previously unknown problems. While REW won't actually change your system, it can arm you with information you can use to dramatically improve the response and thus sound. My article on SBIR covers how just moving a subwoofer around can improve the response quite dramatically.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
It looks like you are off to a good start... I agree with Matthew... In short, in a Home Theatre the Center Channel is the most important. Using REW to tune your speakers to your room can make a very big difference... It looks like you may be a little short on space but try pulling those floor standers out from the rear wall a foot or so and see if you can hear a positive difference...

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
What are you using the Fenders for? :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
Yeah I think you have a great start. Finding good speakers used is a great way to build a nice media space for less money. Having all of the speakers (other than subwoofers) tonally match is good, but it is the front three that are most critical. The Klipsch speakers tend to have a sound unique to Klipsch. Some people love them and some do not. I'm not personally a huge fan. That unique sound does tend to make it so they would not blend with different brands all that well. Both of your towers are notably more refined that the Klipsch, with a smoother and more natural sound. They don't tend to cut through loud action and may not play as loud, which is why some folks prefer the Klipsch sound.

Since the Infinity is a little older, you might also look for a match to the Martin Logan's, it's possible the center will be easier to find. The Infinitys are great speakers, but I think they are about 10-15 years old, so it might be harder to find a matching center (then again, if you do find one, it might also be cheaper).

Have you checked out REW yet? That is probably the single biggest upgrade you can make. Smoothing out the bass tends to have a dramatic effect even at other frequencies not addressed, as well as help you discover previously unknown problems. While REW won't actually change your system, it can arm you with information you can use to dramatically improve the response and thus sound. My article on SBIR covers how just moving a subwoofer around can improve the response quite dramatically.

I have a umik-1 which I will definitely be utilizing when I save back up for a new computer. Recently traded mine away for a steal.

I like the idea of finding a ML center.. would be so much easier to find one. Possible one new? Idk. But the infinity’s up front sound so good for being as old as they are, with music in 2 channel they are wonderful, no sub needed.. The motion 12s are definitely more crisp and the tweeter they utilize is insanely clear and easy to listen to.. but overall the infinity’s just continue to surprise me. So I don’t know what I’ll do haha, that’s the fun part.

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
It looks like you are off to a good start... I agree with Matthew... In short, in a Home Theatre the Center Channel is the most important. Using REW to tune your speakers to your room can make a very big difference... It looks like you may be a little short on space but try pulling those floor standers out from the rear wall a foot or so and see if you can hear a positive difference...

I did what you said and pulled them about 6” further out. They are now about 14 inches from the back wall. I pointed them in slightly more also, with music the imaging and bass has noticeably changed!

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
What are you using the Fenders for? :)
My roommate is a extremely talented musician. He builds, tinkers, plays, does it all with guitars, bass guitars, and amps. He’s been fun! He has his thing and I have my speakers. He appreciates them and uses them daily. I listen to him play daily, good trade off.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I have a umik-1 which I will definitely be utilizing when I save back up for a new computer. Recently traded mine away for a steal.

I like the idea of finding a ML center.. would be so much easier to find one. Possible one new? Idk. But the infinity’s up front sound so good for being as old as they are, with music in 2 channel they are wonderful, no sub needed.. The motion 12s are definitely more crisp and the tweeter they utilize is insanely clear and easy to listen to.. but overall the infinity’s just continue to surprise me. So I don’t know what I’ll do haha, that’s the fun part.

All sounds good. The plan you mention makes sense. Don't let me take away the fun of those Infinity's by any means, I am sure they are great and could be every bit as good as the ML's or even better. I only suggested the other option because it can be hard to find old out of production speakers and having a consistent match IS very important across the front.

I'll also mention that you are better off with no center than a bad quality or poorly matched center. Your speakers are good enough to likely have a very good and solid center image with no center channel. To me that is a much better compromise to make than a poorly matched and inferior quality center channel.

One more cautionary tail. Don't prioritize new audio equipment over other necessities. This hobby is fun, but if you aren't careful it will take you down an upgrade path that is very expensive and never ends. I have a good friend whose system is and would be the envy of nearly any enthusiast. He has four 21" ported subs up front and six 15" subs nearfield to the listening position. He has DIYSG Titan XL matched LCR's, Marantz receiver, ATMOS, etc. in a 7.2.4 system in a beautiful custom built dedicated theater. I saw and heard his system and was shocked at what he had achieved. When I then built my theater (which was inspired by his for sure) it lead me toward a path of unhappiness where nothing I had was good enough. I began looking at what I would upgrade, how I would make my theater better than it was, you name it. I finally had a good friend (also very into this stuff) stop me and give me a good pep talk on being happy with what I have. Putting this into life perspective, and remembering that all of this is luxury entertainment. It's too easy to see someone else who has better and want that, or to think you absolutely must have a certain level of gear or you are missing out. I promise you aren't missing out on anything. You already have a great setup. Sure upgrades will make it better, but try to keep all those upgrades in check. It's just too easy to go too far. Sometimes we need to step back, take a deep breath, and practice a little zen.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
One more cautionary tail. Don't prioritize new audio equipment over other necessities. This hobby is fun, but if you aren't careful it will take you down an upgrade path that is very expensive and never ends. I have a good friend whose system is and would be the envy of nearly any enthusiast. He has four 21" ported subs up front and six 15" subs nearfield to the listening position. He has DIYSG Titan XL matched LCR's, Marantz receiver, ATMOS, etc. in a 7.2.4 system in a beautiful custom built dedicated theater. I saw and heard his system and was shocked at what he had achieved. When I then built my theater (which was inspired by his for sure) it lead me toward a path of unhappiness where nothing I had was good enough. I began looking at what I would upgrade, how I would make my theater better than it was, you name it. I finally had a good friend (also very into this stuff) stop me and give me a good pep talk on being happy with what I have. Putting this into life perspective, and remembering that all of this is luxury entertainment. It's too easy to see someone else who has better and want that, or to think you absolutely must have a certain level of gear or you are missing out. I promise you aren't missing out on anything. You already have a great setup. Sure upgrades will make it better, but try to keep all those upgrades in check. It's just too easy to go too far. Sometimes we need to step back, take a deep breath, and practice a little zen.

I think there's a ton of value in this paragraph. The fact is, any equipment with some thoughtful set up can introduce home theater magic. My very first "system" was literally an inexpensive satellite/sub home theater in a box system. I loved it. We had a ton of fun movie nights... my kids and their friends were wowed by it.

So, IMHO, you can do a lot within a set budget and have a ton of fun in the process.

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
I feel for me to get any better I’d have to spend a significant amount more for marginal gains. I’ve just been lucky to find some decent stuff for good prices. I enjoyed piecing this system together and I’m defintiely happy! But I do feel you on the feeling that it could always be slightly better and the feeling what you have just isn’t good enough. I think I’ve finally gotten to a stopping point once I get a center channel for movies.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I feel for me to get any better I’d have to spend a significant amount more for marginal gains. I’ve just been lucky to find some decent stuff for good prices. I enjoyed piecing this system together and I’m defintiely happy! But I do feel you on the feeling that it could always be slightly better and the feeling what you have just isn’t good enough. I think I’ve finally gotten to a stopping point once I get a center channel for movies.

Seems very reasonably. I love these forums and have been an avid user of them since the early 2000's (and in fact used BBS forums prior). What I don't like is that I think they can encourage a kind of competitiveness and feeling of inadequacy. This is all about fun! Sit back and watch a movie or listen to some great music.

You hit a point where you've achieve a good 90% of what is possible and after that, chasing that last 10% gets unreasonably expensive. While I love my dedicated theater, I do look back at the money I spent to build it and question if that really made sense. I wanted a noise floor of around 20db's and I achieved it. It cost 10's of thousands of dollars to achieve that. Think of the gear I could have bought with that same money. Even the movies, that buys a lot of blu-rays. Or as my wife likes to remind me, that would have been one hell of a trip to Hawaii.

Amundo

More  
Front Speakers
Boston Rs260
Subwoofers
Reaction Audio BPS-215
Video Display Device
60" Vizio 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Xbox One, Ps4
I try not to think about the money I’ve spent, I enjoy my system everyday and like to think of it as a general investment to my happiness lol. Being single defintiely helps, but mentioning that I just asked a long time crush of mine to stop messing around and be mine lol. So hopefully she’s understanding, at least i found her at a stopping point haha, I don’t think any girl could handle my constant researching and shopping.

Top Bottom