Mono Pink Noise from Generator

Iamsecond

Registered
I am trying to find a good source for mono pink noise. On the forum I usually frequent I understand mono pink noise is pnp pink noise.

Does it matter if I use the pink pn r, or the pink pn l, or the pink pn l+r.

I just need a mono signal to use the rta on my car system. I am assuming I can use the pink pn l and just calibrate both sides, or does should I use the pink pn l for drivers side and pink pn r for passengers side. I am probably over thinking this but just curious. Thanks for your insights.

Also why is there and option for left and/or right and left plus right?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Left and Right carry the same signal so you can use either. The output options are there to allow either channel to be driven separately or both together.

Iamsecond

Registered
So, in other words pink pn l is a mono signal, pink pn r is a mono signal? Right?

So what does pink pn l+r give me? I assumed that would be the mono signal.

Iamsecond

Registered
Ok so another question. When creating the wav file I assume 48000 for the sample rate but a bit stumped about the sample width.

Not sure what that is. I am going to save it to my phone.

So should I save it as 16 bit, 24 bit, or 3 bit?

This is a deep rabbit hole. LOL

John Mulcahy

REW Author
16 bit is fine for noise signals. Any signal channel signal is by definition mono. When mono is used to refer to a stereo signal it means the same signal in both channels, which is what the Pink PN provides when using L+R.

Dwight

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
dayton audio Dsp-408 , Kenwood DDX6906S
Main Amp
NVX VAD10004
Additional Amp
NVX VAD11005
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kenwood DDX6906S
Front Speakers
Beyma 6cmv2 (FRONT MB)
Front Height Speakers
fatielpro 3FE22 (FRONT MID)
Subwoofers
jlaudio 10w6v2
Other Speakers or Equipment
Dayton AN25F (TWEETERS)
I also need some clearance for this topic...... when i try export pink noise L i get lower frequncys out of the speakers en when i do the PN Right i get to hear higher frequencys. so they are not the same . i want to use REW with external PN because i dont have a way to connect my laptop to my car audio system. so i want to export the useful file and now im stuck on how to do it and what to use ......for example should i use -20 dBFS? or -12dBFS? or-10dBFS? help please

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The bandwidth of the noise is selectable on the generator, select the one you need. If you are measuring the full bandwidth select "Full range". Level should ideally not be above -15 dBFS for noise signals to avoid clipping.

Dwight

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NVX VAD10004
Additional Amp
NVX VAD11005
Kenwood DDX6906S
Front Speakers
Beyma 6cmv2 (FRONT MB)
Front Height Speakers
Subwoofers
jlaudio 10w6v2
Dayton AN25F (TWEETERS)
Thank you John! Can you help me with 1 more thing cuz i still cant figure it out. I'm tuning my car audio en dont know whether to work with the sweep method or the RTA. And i need to know when using RTA which settings is best suited to achieve my goal. Periodic PN with 64k i assume? Thnx again...... ive also seen alot of people looking for this. Maybe create a post how it's done? Or if there already is can you link me up? Something like a step by step

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Here are the RTA settings to use with Pink PN. Google turns up several videos on using REW for car audio.

Dwight

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NVX VAD10004
Additional Amp
NVX VAD11005
Kenwood DDX6906S
Front Speakers
Beyma 6cmv2 (FRONT MB)
Front Height Speakers
Subwoofers
jlaudio 10w6v2
Dayton AN25F (TWEETERS)
Amazing bro thanks alot..... donation inc.

Dwight

Registered
More  
Main Amp
NVX VAD10004
Additional Amp
NVX VAD11005
Kenwood DDX6906S
Front Speakers
Beyma 6cmv2 (FRONT MB)
Front Height Speakers
Subwoofers
jlaudio 10w6v2
Dayton AN25F (TWEETERS)
yes there are some videos, most with all different settings or show no settings at all..... but hearing from you im sure that i have the approiate setting. For example they use 50% overlap you showed me 93.75% etc some use var smoothing some use 1/24 smoothing anyways ill give it a try together with moving mic ..... thnx for your time and your awesome program. Just donated

Top Bottom