Measuring a large, complex room...

soundguyal

Registered
Hi All.

Recently found REW and I'm so glad I did.

This may already be possible, if not, it would be nice.

I was measuring a church that has unusual architectural features i.e. balcony overhangs, pie shaped etc...

I get very good results by taking up to 10 measurements per array focus/zone and averaging them.
Doing this alone requires a lot of walking to and from the computer.

I tried using the multiple sweeps option but too often it starts the sweep before I can re position the mic.
The delay option only works one time from what i can tell.

Is there a way to add delay between measurements?

Cheers!

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hi All.

Recently found REW and I'm so glad I did.

This may already be possible, if not, it would be nice.

I was measuring a church that has unusual architectural features i.e. balcony overhangs, pie shaped etc...

I get very good results by taking up to 10 measurements per array focus/zone and averaging them.
Doing this alone requires a lot of walking to and from the computer.

I tried using the multiple sweeps option but too often it starts the sweep before I can re position the mic.
The delay option only works one time from what i can tell.

Is there a way to add delay between measurements?

Cheers!

I would try a different approach all together. If you don’t need timing information (and averaging typically obliterates that anyway) then just use pink noise and the RTA set for averaging. Then move the mic around the room. That will give the same effect. If all you want is the spatial average response, that is fine.

I personally would throw in a handful of sweeps as well since you do need and want some timing information.

If you are vector averaging the the RTA approach won’t give you the same information, but the loss is still only to timing. I’m not sure it’s a huge gain to take 10 measurements and then vector average then.

Another approach is to setup multiple measurement microphones. Then output a sweep and record the replayed sweep through all the mics into a multi-input sound capture card. You can then import the wav files to REW for analysis.

I’m using the above approach to capture binaural impulse response measurements and it works well. I do this for just two channels but I’ve experimented with up to 4 and it works fine. Just more files to import.

Top Bottom