Measurements needs critiquing

Satish

Registered
Guys/Experts,

I spent some time collecting some measurements over the weekend, help me get some decent listening nirvana!

Let me provide some background,

Space: Its a Living Room (15' W X 14' L X 8 'H) in an apartment, with laminate/faux wood(may be) flooring over a concrete base.
Speaker: Chane A1.4 - LR, Energy Classic 5.0's Center -C , Energy Classic 5.0's Satellites - Surrounds
Sub: Rythmik LVX12
Receiver: Anthem MRX 300
Amp: Parasound HCA-1000A for the Mains, Rest through receiver
ARC Calibrated.

Sub placement done with REW where I got a little bit of flatter response(Tried 2 positions, 3 angles) before ARC, it sits in the corner to the front left spk facing the speaker driver parallel to the front wall. Placement options were tight! Sub was configured based on the document from the Rythmik forum.

I need some help with these graphs, can somebody interpret these images and explain in it to me and suggest how to get better results.

Let me know if I need to post more information/graph.

Thanks in advance,
Satish.

View media item 2554View media item 2555View media item 2553View media item 2550View media item 2552View media item 2551View media item 2549View media item 2548View media item 2546View media item 2547View media item 2545View media item 2544
FLR_SBW.jpg

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Full range frequency response looks pretty decent, except that the sub might be too hot. But ultimately you’re the only one who can make that determination.

Regards,
Wayne

Satish

Registered
Thanks wayne,
Full range frequency response looks pretty decent, except that the sub might be too hot. But ultimately you’re the only one who can make that determination.

Regards,
Wayne

I followed the document from the rythmik forum where its recommend that configure the sub so that the calibrations set its level to be -6db, thats what I did, so should I lower the gain in the sub and rerun the calibration or lower it in the receiver and rerun, its already in the -6db level! or just leave everything as it is and just adjust the gain as needed?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
so should I lower the gain in the sub and rerun the calibration or lower it in the receiver and rerun, its already in the -6db level! or just leave everything as it is and just adjust the gain as needed?
I can’t advise on that because I have no reference for the adjustment scale , and I can’t tell if you’re referring to a setting in the receive or the sub itself.

Rythmic may have a reason for the recommendation, but as far as actual SPL levels of the sub in the room are concerned (which is what a frequency response graph is based on), it doesn’t matter. If the graph is based on what the calibration accomplished, re-running it with different gain settings in the receiver or the sub itself will probably end up with the same graph – i.e. the same bass levels compared to the main speakers.

Actually, I may have misspoken about the sub level. There’s really only so much you can tell from a graph. If your room is really small (i.e. bedroom-sized) it might be just right. However, if the room is really large, then it’s for sure probably too much.

The main thing is to trust your ears: Playing a familiar song, is the bass level too much, too little, or just right (with apologies to Goldilocks and the Three Bears)?

Regards,
Wayne

Satish

Registered
I get it, i will keep playing with the settings till I get what I need. I need little bit more output from those monsters right now, its mellow need some punch for the movies side, but will continue experimenting, thought someone can analyze the graphs to make mine easy :-)

thanks.

Top Bottom