Measurement accuracy and noise

thexder

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of measurements and never thought they might not be accurate. A guy involved with studio designs suggested measuring with other gear as he is convinced my measuring setup is somehow generating a strange noise.
Can someone confirm this?

P.S.: The microphone was not in the exact same spot but the noise he is mentioning should be visible.

Thank you!

Attachments

• kaputt.mdat
    7.1 MB · Views: 9

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The "studio gear" measurement has a very high noise floor before the measurement - you can see that on the Distortion graph. The UMIK1 measurement has a normal noise floor. Can't really say any more than that unless you can explain in more detail what is meant by "a strange noise".

thexder

Kind thanks for your thoughts, John. Actually he said noise floor is the problem. And some anomalies UMIK1 measurements has provided in the waterfall if you extend the window/time to 2500 ms.

I'm surprised you are saying UMIK1 measurement has a normal noise floor. I think 40-45 dB is rather high given the fact there is absolutely no outside noise. His measurements showed much lower floor noise, appprox. 30-35 dB.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's normal for USB mics. Analog mics can have lower noise floors if used with a low noise preamp.

Top Bottom