By Todd Anderson on Apr 10, 2018 at 4:55 PM
  1. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

MartinLogan Co-Founder Launches Gayle Sanders Eikon

[​IMG]
    (Gayle Sanders Eikon)

(April 10, 2018) Here’s a bit of breaking pre-AXPONA news: MartinLogan cofounder Gayle Sanders is re-emerging with a brand-new speaker company called Gayle Sanders Eikon. Rewind some forty years ago, and Gayle Martin Sanders and Ron Logan Sutherland were busily pooling their collective knowledge to establish a future industry strongling. Now, Sanders is emerging from retirement, recharged and ready to rock the industry’s foundation once again.

“I found myself missing our industry—the people, the excitement, the creative process of designing—it pulled me back,” Sanders said. “I still love learning about new technologies, diving into research, and exploring the possibilities of putting it all together.”

Looking to depart from his old speaker company’s electrostatic anchor point, Sanders’ new Eikon speakers are inspired by modern DSP and amp technologies. Taking to his garage, the esteemed speaker legend spent four years developing and refining performance and industrial design aspects, resulting in his new company’s first speaker called Image1. Today, Gayle Sanders Eikon is run from a dedicated speaker workshop, where Image1s are handcrafted and tested on site.

Sanders’ new system is centered around the DSP-based Eikontrol (a “command center” of sorts), which accepts both digital and analog inputs and is fine-tuned with any smart device or home computer (iOS, Android). And because the system’s amplifier technology is integrated, the entire Image1 system sheds the need for large external gear.

[​IMG]
    (Gayle Sanderson Eikon)
    Using DSP algorithms, the Eikontrol helps to remove a room’s sidewalls from the equation, resulting in “energetic” baselines and phase-perfect mid- and high-frequencies. In addition, bass output is customized by using advanced wavelet signal processing, which allows the system to “analyze energy buildup in the amplitude and time domain.” The end result being streamlined control of destructive energy and a better overall uniform frequency response.

Less technical information has been released about the system’s Image1 speakers. However, we do know they’re being launched with a Black Piano Gloss finish (other finishes will be available soon).

Gayle Sanders will be at AXPONA (Rooms 742 and 744) demonstrating his new Image1 speakers as part of a system worth $24,500.

ddude003 and tripplej like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'AV Industry News' started by Todd Anderson, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
      Staff Member

Here's a few other images:

jaquorylunsford-163_preview.jpeg eikon57_preview.jpeg eikon29_preview.jpeg Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 6.02.12 PM.png

2. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
      Staff Member

Man... wish I wuz gonna get a chance to hear those puppies. Nice!

3. tripplej

tripplej AV Enthusiast

Thanks for the news update. Looks like great speakers. I agree, would like to hear them. :)

4. Tonto

Tonto Senior Member

Sonnie wrote:
      Do you have a relationship with him? Would certainly make for a nice review. We have touted their stats pretty favorably in the past, couldn't hurt to reach out and see.

5. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
      Staff Member

Looks like we need to check out his room and do a little introductions.

Sonnie you want me to have him send you a pair for keepsies. ;)

6. tesseract

tesseract Senior Admin
      Staff Member

20180413_151105.jpg
      I'll take one of these!

ddude003 likes this.
    7. ddude003

ddude003 Active Member

Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
      A beautiful Miura...

The Eikon is an interesting concept... It will be interesting to see more on the design and specs... Is there 4 or 5 drivers in those speakers? Other than the DSP and wavelets I think Sonnie's Expression 13As would sound better...