Marantz AV8805A

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have owned preamps from Classe Audio, and Audible illusions, Denon AVRs, Yamaha Receivers and preamps.This is the first Marantz I have ever heard or owned, and I am very much liking it so far. I only have my front 3 channels hooked up with my 4 height channels so far, so I am not able to run it as a complete setup until I finish my last 2 speakers (I hope to have the rest of my speakers done in the next couple of months). I will follow up with a progress report when I get the complete setup up and running.

Initial impressions after being without my Yamaha CXA5100...
1: Build quality appears to be better, and I love the copper accents on the rear panel..
2: Sound is warmer and not as thin sounding as the Yamaha wss (I never realized what I was missing until I got the Marantz). In addition it def appears to have more bottom end than the Yamaha. A friend came over and immediately noticed the bass output was much better.
3: There is more detail in the bottom end, and also in the midrange.
4: The remote and settings are def different than the Yamaha and I am still getting used to using it. (Not sure which is easier as I have used the Yamaha 5 years).
5: Cosmetically I prefer the Marantz over the Yamaha.

I mainly purchased the Marantz to...try it out (I have always wanted to try a Marantz), and to get Auro3d. I never expected to have the sound be so much better than my old Yamaha and I do not know what they did to make this sound so much better.. I wish it had is Dirac though, so I would not need to run a DDRC88A for Dirac. I think I will run Audyssey and then run REW from my MLP to see how it is currently and then install Dirac to see how it measures compared to Audyssey.

I do wish that Marantz would make a better app for control as there is not much you can do with the current app, and the Audyssey app should be included for free for a product of this caliber and price point.

So far I am very happy with the Marantz and feel it was def worth the expense to upgrade.

Purchased from Robert Zohn @ Value Electronics, who is def recommended as he is very knowledgeable and a great person to work with. In addition my Marantz arrived only a few days after ordering too.

From the Marantz website:

hero_av8805a_hero-image-front.png

AV8805A
13.2CH 8K ULTRA HD AV SURROUND PRE-AMPLIFIER WITH HEOS BUILT-IN

• Multichannel Surround
  • DTS HD Master / DTS:XYes / Yes
    DTS Neo:X / DTS Neural:XNo / Yes
    DTS Virtual:XYes (update)
    Dolby TrueHD / Dolby AtmosYes / Yes
    Dolby ProLogic Il / Dolby SurroundNo / Yes
    Auro 3DYes
    Multichannel StereoYes
    Max Number of Processing (Preamp) Channels13.2
    IMAX EnhancedYes
    Sound Enhancements
    Copper Plated ChassisYes
    Power Transformer: Toroidal / EIYes / No
    Current Feedback TopologyYes
    Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM)Yes
    Pure DirectYes
    High Grade Audio ComponentsYes
    Gold plated RCA terminalsYes
    Clock Jitter ReducerYes
    AudysseyMultEQ XT32
    Audyssey Dynamic EQ / Dynamic VolumeYes / Yes
    Audyssey LFCYes
    Audyssey APP SupportYes
    Compressed Audio Enhancer: MDAX2Yes
    Network
    HEOS Multi-room and StreamingYes
    Lossy formats MP3 / WMA / AACYes / Yes / Yes
    Lossless formats FLAC / ALAC / WAVYes / Yes / Yes
    Lossless formats: FLAC HD 192/24 / WAV 192/24 / ALAC 192/24Yes / Yes / Yes
    DSD Audio Streamingup to DSD5.6
    FLAC HD 192/24Yes
    WAV 192/24Yes
    ALAC 192/24Yes
    Gapless PlaybackYes (FLAC, WAV, ALAC, DSD)
    AirPlay Audio StreamingYes
    Internet radioTuneIn
    Spotify Connect* / Tidal* / Deezer* / others *Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
    Compatible with Remote APP for Smart PhonesAndroid / iOS
    Compatible with Remote APP for TabletsYes Amazon Kindle
    Ethernet PortsYes
    Wi-FiYes
    BluetoothYes
    HDMI
    HDMI Inputs: Back / Front7 / 1
    HDCP2.3 supportYes
    HDMI Outputs: Main / Zone2 / 1
    HDMI max Resolution (8k / 4k)8k/60 - 4k/120
    Video Conversion Analog -> HDMIYes
    HDMI to HDMI Scalingup to 8K 60/50
    HDMI: 8K / 4K / CEC / eARCYes / Yes / Yes / Yes
    HDMI: Dolby Vision / HDR 10+ / Dynamic HDR / HLGYes / Yes / Yes / Yes
    HDMI: ALLM / QMS / QFT / VRRYes / Yes / Yes / Yes
    HDMI Pass-Through in Standby ModeYes
    DSD Audio CapabilityYes
    Multi-Room / CI
    HEOS Multi-Room IntegratedYes
    Multi-Room Zones3
    Zone Audio Source: HDMI / Opt, Coax / Network, USB / AnalogYes (2ch) / Yes (2ch) / Yes / Yes
    Zone Audio Output: Speaker / PreoutNo / Yes
    Zone HDMI Output from HDMI SourceYes
    IP Control / RS232 Control / Web Control / App ControlYes / Yes / No / Yes
    Remote In / OutYes
    IR Flasher InYes
    Marantz Remote BusYes
    DC Trigger Output2
    Others
    Auto Speaker Setup by MicrophoneAudyssey MultEQ XT32
    FL Display2 lines + port hole
    Graphic User Interface - GUIAdvanced
    ISF CertificationYes
    GUI Languages9
    Setup AssistantYes
    Smart SelectYes
    Firmware Update by Network / USBYes / Yes
    Variable Cross OverYes
    Optimized Bass RedirectionYes
    Bass SyncYes
    Auto Power offYes
    Sleep TimerYes
    Inputs/Outputs
    Composite In / Out4+1 / 2
    Component In / Out3 / 1
    HDMI In / Out7+1 / 3
    Multi-Room Video Out: Video / HDMIYes / Yes
    Analogue In / Out6+1 (1x XLR) / No
    Phono (MM) InYes
    Digital Inputs: Coaxial / Optical2/2
    Multi-Room Out: analog / digital2 / No
    Multichannel Pre OutYes (15.2 RCA & 15.2 XLR)
    Subwoofer Out2 (independant)
    7.1 multichannel inputYes
    Speaker A / Bassignable pre out
    Bi-amp driveassignable pre out
    Multi-Room Speaker Terminalpre out
    Front Inputs: Audio / Composite / Digital (Opt) / HDMI / USBYes / Yes / No / Yes / Yes
    USB Audio / Made for iPod / Works with iPhoneYes / AirPlay / AirPlay
    General
    Available Colors: Gold / Silver / Black / Silver-GoldNo / No / Yes / No
    Metal Front PanelYes
    System Remote ControlRC039SR
    Pre-Programmed / Learnable / LCD DisplayYes / Yes / Yes
    Power Consumption in W90
    Standby Consumption in W0.2
    CEC Standby Consumption in W0.5
    Network Control On Consumption in W3.7
    Maximum Dimensions
    Antenna:Horizontal:(W x D x H) in mm
    Antenna:Vertical :(W x D x H) in mm
    W/o Antenna:(W x D x H) in mm
    440 x 410 x 185
    ( 440 x 410 x 248 )
    【 440 x 389 x 185 】
    Weight in kg13.7

AV8805A Support Materials

Last edited:

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
I've always loved the Marantz sonic signature. When you compare to Denon, Yamaha et al, the best way I've found to describe the difference is that while the competition sound very pristine and clear, the Marantz sounds organic, and more of an analog sound, making the others sound digital and soulless. I have no idea the science behind it, but the Marantz always just sounds better, fuller and richer.

Honestly, they've found a way to make their AVRs sound more like higher-end (and higher-priced) separate systems. Currently I'm using a higher-end separate system, but if I decided to return to an AVR setup, Marantz would be the first line I'd look at. I've had several in the past and it's been the more esoteric "searching for nirvana" mindset that pushed me beyond the AVR.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I've always loved the Marantz sonic signature. When you compare to Denon, Yamaha et al, the best way I've found to describe the difference is that while the competition sound very pristine and clear, the Marantz sounds organic, and more of an analog sound, making the others sound digital and soulless. I have no idea the science behind it, but the Marantz always just sounds better, fuller and richer.

Honestly, they've found a way to make their AVRs sound more like higher-end (and higher-priced) separate systems. Currently I'm using a higher-end separate system, but if I decided to return to an AVR setup, Marantz would be the first line I'd look at. I've had several in the past and it's been the more esoteric "searching for nirvana" mindset that pushed me beyond the AVR.
Grat analogy! I am really curious how the Marantz sounds compared to the $8k McIntosh MX123 since I recently read it is based on the Marantz av8805.

Ty_Tanium

Congrats on your purchase! I hadn't heard the MX123 was based on the AV8805. If that's the case, I too would be interested in a direct comparison. The AV8805A is a good value when compared to other processors and is why I'm considering a purchase of one later this year. My concern is over the boosted bass that just about every reviewer comments on. If the MX123 has a flatter response, I might lean towards getting one of those instead.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Congrats on your purchase! I hadn't heard the MX123 was based on the AV8805. If that's the case, I too would be interested in a direct comparison. The AV8805A is a good value when compared to other processors and is why I'm considering a purchase of one later this year. My concern is over the boosted bass that just about every reviewer comments on. If the MX123 has a flatter response, I might lean towards getting one of those instead.
I saw the part where the Mx123 was based off of thenMarantz 8805 on Youtube, and he listed all the features and showed the remote, and back panels for comparison. He also listed the McIntosh model above it and what it was based off of. The model below the MX123 he stated appeared to be a complete design by McIntosh. I can live with the bass boost as I am trying to get to 5db from flat @20Hz with my k402MEHs.

Ty_Tanium

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Do you remember the name of the video you watched? Or could you supply a link? That sounds like it may be interesting to watch. When I first saw the specs on the MX180, I couldn’t help but think Lyngdorf because of the room correction. Unfortunately the price tag also says Lyngdorf.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Do you remember the name of the video you watched? Or could you supply a link? That sounds like it may be interesting to watch. When I first saw the specs on the MX180, I couldn’t help but think Lyngdorf because of the room correction. Unfortunately the price tag also says Lyngdorf.
Here you go...

Top Bottom