Low Profile Center Channel Speakers vs. Wide Sound Bar

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sonnie, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM.

1. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

With the new Vizio display coming in, I am going to be considering changing up my speakers in my great room. I already have a Sony ES 810 AVR to replace my aged Onkyo 805. I currently run Infinity Primus across the front, but would like to get the center channel down to about ear height, which would be directly beneath the display. I have about 5 inches height to work with... and do not want to get any wider than the display at 61"... so something in the 50-60" width would look the best, but it might be better to simply go sound bar with that kind of width, as a traditional center would not normally be over about 36".

I thought about the Golden Ear SuperCinema 3D Array X model at 49" wide, then just ditch the bookshelfs. The XL is a bit too wide at 62", although it might actually look better at the full width. Either way these are rather expensive to say the least. $1000 is doable on the X model... but $1600 is definitely stretching it.

I found these: http://www.sourcespeaker.com/PlasmaLCRlist.html ... lots of nice options... all on the "more than I want to spend" side of pricing.

Anyone know of any other center speakers or passive sound bars that are low profile and fairly wide... and won't break the bank?

2. Bacovish

Bacovish Active Member

#2 Bacovish, Jun 18, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 9:50 PM
  3. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

I am actually a dealer for Def Tech. I woudn't mind the Mythos, but if I have to use the feet to stand it up, which I would, it gets close to 7 inches tall, which I would not have room for.

Yeah... the Golden Ear look sweet... and reviews are stellar thus far.

4. theJman

theJman Moderator / Reviewer
    Staff Member

You can scratch Source off your list; John Solicito does not sell to the general public I'm afraid (I did a review on one of his subs a few years back, and while doing that we exchanged quite a few emails). He's strictly OEM design now, so I'm not sure why he even has that website as none of what you see is for sale. Shame too because the man makes some very nice stuff.

5. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

I wonder who he sells to.... specifically. Maybe I can call him and ask... although they are a bit pricey and more than I want to spend.

6. theJman

theJman Moderator / Reviewer
    Staff Member

John designs speakers/subs for other companies to sell, so he does mostly engineering services now. I have an HV15P subwoofer from Next Level Acoustics coming for review in a few weeks, and it turns out he designed their entire subwoofer line (something I didn't know when I first approached Next Level). He uses info@sourcespeaker.com for email, so perhaps you can reach him using that. Who knows, he may be willing to do a one-off.

Not sure if it will help, but if you tell him you were recommended by the guy who reviewed his HVS 10 sub he might be more receptive (I was the only person who ever reviewed one of his products, so it's likely he will remember me).

7. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

I should have the 3D Array XL review live this week... when paired with the SuperSub X it is an absolutely wonderful speaker. Love it

8. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

I heard this at last year's CEDIA show (where it was revealed). It sounded shockingly good in their demo space. I had talked with them briefly about nailing down a demo unit...but it got lost in the shuffle:

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/magnifimini

9. Bacovish

Bacovish Active Member

Can you shout me a link to your store. I'm in need of some gear.

10. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Well... I don't have a store, but we (AV NIRVANA) are working on something.

I just mainly sale locally... and depending on what you need, may can still help you until we get our AV NIRVANA plan going.

I will send you a PM.