Loopback setup unclear

kkeus

Registered
Hi all,

Ik have REAL problems setting up the loopback for calibration. I have watched several video's about this, including the one made by GIK. I use an iMac with a MOTU ultralite MK3. I have a Behringer ECM8000 plugged in to Mic1 in and phantom power switched on. My input in the preferences is set to Mic1 and my output to the mains 1-2. Now for calibration, in the GiK video, they say to put a cable between the analog out and in for calibration. It does not really make sense to me , as I would think you would want to use the Mic1 for input and main 1-2 for out. What am I to do?

regards,

Kkeus

EarlK

Hi all,

Ik have REAL problems setting up the loopback for calibration. I have watched several video's about this, including the one made by GIK. I use an iMac with a MOTU ultralite MK3. I have a Behringer ECM8000 plugged in to Mic1 in and phantom power switched on. My input in the preferences is set to Mic1 and my output to the mains 1-2. Now for calibration, in the GiK video, they say to put a cable between the analog out and in for calibration. It does not really make sense to me , as I would think you would want to use the Mic1 for input and main 1-2 for out. What am I to do?

regards,

Kkeus
It's now generally acknowledged that the line level circuits of today's soundcards don't need a calibration file to flatten their response ( they are flat enough to do the job at hand ).

Mic pre-amps are usually less linear than their line-level cohorts .

So, make a calibration file ( as you thought ) between the Line out of Main ( 1-2 ) and your Mic1 input ( turn off the 48 Volt Phantom before making this connection ).

:)

Last edited:

tngator

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
ART tube pre, focusrite scarlett , Cakewalk ByB
Main Amp
Mesa Boogie MK2
Hi all,

regards,

Kkeus
Hi K. Im not sure if Im answering your question correctly but Im guessing you are having difficulty in the actual connections and where they go? OK, you have your Ber test mic going into Input 1 (mic 1 as you call it). Same as me. So the loop back input will be Mic 2. Do you have 2 inputs on your audio device? I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2 input. And here's the punchline. The output for the loopback is actually your headphones socket. So your settings in REW will be input = mic 1. Loop input = mic 2 and loop output is simply output 1. I think there is a drop down list for the loopback output showing output 1, 2 , 3 and 4. Not sure why. But just pick Output 1. Hope that's the info you were looking for. Xave.

Top Bottom