Leon's AV Room Project

L

Leonard Caillouet

We are just at the deciding to add a room stage. Right now we have a back room that is 23.5 ft by 9.5 ft that is a lanai that was closed in. We are going to open that back up and add on a room to make a large theater and listening room. We can comfortably go back another 20 feet giving me a space as large as 23.5 x 30 ft. The current room has an 8 ft ceiling and that will remain, as one of the things we want is storage room upstairs over that area. The question then is what dimensions to go with, and what ceiling height to use on the rest of the room.

Also, we want to be able to open the room up to the patio is on one side of the addition, so we will need some heavy glass doors and need to get recommendations for something substantial. Obviously there will need to be acoustical treatments on them that can be moved. The room will be laid out with a projector on the wall opposite the glass doors to be able to watch from the screened in patio and hot tub. It may provide for some interesting listening with an open rear wall as well. That dimension is the room width which will be 23.5 ft.

I am open to suggestions, particularly from staff, as this will give us another option for review events.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
My suggestion is to invite me over to hang out in the hot tub and watch movies when you're done!

This looks like a fun project though. If I understand correctly, if you're in the room looking at the screen, the glass door is behind you?

As far as room dimensions go, I've seen a handful of so-called golden ratios. Your length vs width look ok, although the width is close to a multiple of the height. If you have some freedom in terms of speaker placement plus some acoustic treatment I think you'll be in good shape though. You may be able to use the dimensions of the additional space to your advantage in terms of acoustics, although practically I don't see a reason to go much above 8ft ceiling height in the addition.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
How big of a screen are you thinking of installing?

With that size room (and taking into consideration the screened-in porch/hot tub), I might be inclined to go with an AT screen to get a huge image?

L

Leonard Caillouet

Debating that. I need to get some layouts done to see how it might work. May scrap the idea of being able to view from the patio and just put a smaller set out there. We do want to be able to open up the room to use it for ball games, crawfish boils, etc. so I still need to deal with large sliding glass doors, but there are some pretty nice ones out there that are pretty solid. And the room will be big enough that we should be able to work around it.

Peter Loeser

Staff member
With necessary light control and some kind of portable acoustic treatment (maybe there's a way to combine the two?) I think any potential issues from the glass doors will be minimal. Even with the sliding doors in place I think I still like the idea of doing a 2nd smaller display outside. Even with a large projected display inside, I'm imagining it being tricky to read small text like scores, tickers, etc. from 30ft away outside. Plus that's a lot of space for bodies to accumulate and block the view.

Top Bottom