Latest REW development build

REW Beta Release Latest REW development build

Tony Walters

Fusiondsp (gui for Camillladsp) has a limit of Q 40 on PEQ filters. REW allows > 40 for Camilladsp. Minor issue.

Tony Walters

John Mulcahy submitted a new resource:

Latest REW development build - Hot off the press

Read more about this resource...
I'm having chhallenges with something that normally works fine. I set up UMIK calibration file when mic is detected. But on a measurement it is not allowing me to select 96khz sample rate. The snip shows the cal screen in properties and anther nuance is it creates multiple entries for UMIK.

1683823878079.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm having chhallenges with something that normally works fine. I set up UMIK calibration file when mic is detected. But on a measurement it is not allowing me to select 96khz sample rate. The snip shows the cal screen in properties and anther nuance is it creates multiple entries for UMIK.
There are two problems in your screenshot:
  • The UMIK-1 is a 48 kHz device, it doesn't run at 96 kHz. If you select 96 kHz with JavaSound drivers the OS resamples the 48 kHz data to 96 kHz, you still only get results up to 24 kHz. With the WASAPI exclusive driver you are only offered sample rates the device supports.
  • Mic cal files should not also be applied as soundcard cal files otherwise the cal file is being applied twice.
The various UMIK-1 entries are for different driver types (entries starting EXCL are WASAPI exclusive, others are JavaSound) and different choices of input (default or MICROPHONE). You should always select the MICROPHONE input if it hasn't been selected automatically,.

GavriLOW

Registered
Thanks for your hard work! I never cease to admire the functionality of the program.
Is it possible to add a two-device mode to the new version of the program? So that one device can play a signal and another record it? To be able to use 2 audio cards or separate DAC and ADC?

dtrucken

Registered
I'm having trouble getting the microphone permission to work on a MacBook running Monterey (12.6.7). It seems to be broken on all 5.20 versions including 5.20.14. It works fine using 5.19. I've tried to follow all the work arounds. Is there any debugging information I can provide to help fix this issue? The overlapping screenshot shows the permission checked, with the error box over it. -Dave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 9.50.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 9.50.23 AM.png
    43 KB · Views: 17

sam_adams

I'm having trouble getting the microphone permission to work on a MacBook running Monterey (12.6.7). It seems to be broken on all 5.20 versions including 5.20.14. It works fine using 5.19. I've tried to follow all the work arounds. Is there any debugging information I can provide to help fix this issue? The overlapping screenshot shows the permission checked, with the error box over it. -Dave

That's not a macOS permissions issue. That was a bug in REW that was fixed with the latest early access build.

dtrucken

Registered
I deleted the previous installation, downloaded 5.20.14ea69 from the link you provided. Now there is no permission in the privacy box for Microphone, and I'm still getting the message. Attached is the error, and the file list of the installed REW app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.31.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.31.04 PM.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.38.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 12.38.43 PM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 19

sam_adams

Quit REW.

Open Terminal.app and type in the below:

sudo tccutil reset Microphone

Plug in the Umik and select it as the input device in Audio MIDI Setup.app

Start REW and open the RTA window.

Click the capture button to start the RTA.

The OS prompt for microphone access should display on the screen.

dtrucken

Registered
Quit REW.

Open Terminal.app and type in the below:

sudo tccutil reset Microphone

Plug in the Umik and select it as the input device in Audio MIDI Setup.app

Start REW and open the RTA window.

Click the capture button to start the RTA.

The OS prompt for microphone access should display on the screen.
Thank you for sending these suggestions. I've tried them several times and it still isn't working. Is there a log file or something I could send somewhere to help in the debugging?

chrisby

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ740
Main Amp
Receiver
Additional Amp
Hypex UCD180 for subs
Other Amp
N/A
Computer Audio
N/A
DAC
N/A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
N/A
Front Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 10.3
Center Channel Speaker
DIY Mark Audio 10.3
Front Wide Speakers
N/A
Surround Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 6
Front Height Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Pluvia 7
Subwoofers
DIY a sealed 9” Eastech passive
Video Display Device
LG 77 B2 OLED
Remote Control
Manufacturer’s for above devises
Streaming Equipment
Cable provider’s set box Arris Xi6
Streaming Subscriptions
Neftflix, Apple TV+, Prime, Disney+
Satellite System
N/A
John.
I’m one of those old coots with an over decade old MacMini (early 2012 /OS10.9.5) for the sole purpose of running REW, with the intention of adding a miniDSP2x4HD for the purpose of fine tuning multiple sub woofers in my surround system. TV is an LG77B2, and receiver is an Onkyo TX RZ740, which while it has two LFE su outs, they’re in parallel, hence the plan for the miniDSP.
I’ve successfully installed 5.19 on the Mac and acquired a Dayton UMM 6 which seems to be working just fine while I attempt to familiarize myself with the toolkit, but as all the help guides I’ve stumbled across so far refer to at least one generation newer of REW I wonder if I’m missing something that will mess me up later?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I’ve successfully installed 5.19 on the Mac and acquired a Dayton UMM 6 which seems to be working just fine while I attempt to familiarize myself with the toolkit, but as all the help guides I’ve stumbled across so far refer to at least one generation newer of REW I wonder if I’m missing something that will mess me up later?
The measurement results are essentially the same for whatever version you use, but some features you may wish to use based on guides you find may require a more current release.

chrisby

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ740
Main Amp
Receiver
Additional Amp
Hypex UCD180 for subs
Other Amp
N/A
Computer Audio
N/A
DAC
N/A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
N/A
Front Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 10.3
Center Channel Speaker
DIY Mark Audio 10.3
Front Wide Speakers
N/A
Surround Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 6
Front Height Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Pluvia 7
Subwoofers
DIY a sealed 9” Eastech passive
Video Display Device
LG 77 B2 OLED
Remote Control
Manufacturer’s for above devises
Streaming Equipment
Cable provider’s set box Arris Xi6
Streaming Subscriptions
Neftflix, Apple TV+, Prime, Disney+
Satellite System
N/A
Thanks for the quick reply John.
As the iPad on which I’m typing this meets 99.9% of my computer use case, I’ll just stick with 5.19 rather than upgrade the Mini, whose sole purpose at this point is the configuration of the miniDSP

dtrucken

Registered
Thanks for the suggestion. I am running on an older MacBook with OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I'm now wondering what changed between 5.19 and 5.20 regarding the csrutil status? I found this site with a google search, I need to post a screenshot since I don't have enough posts to type in the URL.
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 10.57.23 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 8.45.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 8.45.18 AM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 8.39.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 8.39.09 AM.png
    34 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
In the 5.20 builds the mic permission is part of the code signature, per Apple recommendation. REW does not make use of csrutil or any other utility.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Apple's handling of permissions changes with each new OS release. I haven't come across issues on current macOS releases but then I didn't see issues with 5.20 builds on macOS 12 either.

dtrucken

Registered
Apple's handling of permissions changes with each new OS release. I haven't come across issues on current macOS releases but then I didn't see issues with 5.20 builds on macOS 12 either.
Sure. And I'm probably to blame. I'm extending the life of this 2012 MacBook by using OpenCore Patcher to allow me to install Monterey (12.6.7). It is a nice laptop, has the internal CD rom which I use all the time. I've replaced the battery a couple of times, and the hard drive with a compatible ssd drive. It is a bit slow on some things, but overall I love the idea of being able to continue to use it rather than dumping it into a landfill. I guess OpenCore changes some of those csrutil settings so they can load the compatible drivers during boot up. That is probably the cause of the issue. (It would be nice if Apple embraced reuse/continued use of their older machines instead of their current strategy. But I digress, forgive me.)

sam_adams

I guess OpenCore changes some of those csrutil settings so they can load the compatible drivers during boot up. That is probably the cause of the issue.

This is exactly the cause of your issue. The changes to macOS in the name of increased security have spawned a whole new ecosystem of hacks to get newer versions of macOS to run on hardware that it was never intended to run on. While it may be a 'fun' academic exercise, you eventually will run into a blocking issue that makes it harder to justify the time spent getting it to work.

I have four of the same model MacBook Pro that run Catalina as their final OS version that have been dedicated to singular tasks—one being REW. I just don't have the time to spend hacking away at it to get it to run an OS version that will eventually disappoint because of some hardware issue. Since REW is not terribly resource intensive, as-long-as it runs on Catalina, the MacBook Pro will stay on Catalina.

dtrucken

Registered
This is exactly the cause of your issue. The changes to macOS in the name of increased security have spawned a whole new ecosystem of hacks to get newer versions of macOS to run on hardware that it was never intended to run on. While it may be a 'fun' academic exercise, you eventually will run into a blocking issue that makes it harder to justify the time spent getting it to work.

I have four of the same model MacBook Pro that run Catalina as their final OS version that have been dedicated to singular tasks—one being REW. I just don't have the time to spend hacking away at it to get it to run an OS version that will eventually disappoint because of some hardware issue. Since REW is not terribly resource intensive, as-long-as it runs on Catalina, the MacBook Pro will stay on Catalina.
:-) And I had an opposite case where I needed the newer OS to use a product because it would not load on the older OS. I guess I need to stop trying to save the world and just buy a new machine. :-(

dtrucken

Registered
Just a quick follow up, I recently installed v0.6.8 (up from v0.6.7)) of OpenCore Patcher (on my 2012 macbook), and now the microphone security works as documented. REW rocks! And REW was never to blame. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Top Bottom