Laptop headphone out causes wierd 2x4HD effect

Discussion in 'Official REW (Room EQ Wizard) Support Forum' started by Cornell Smith, May 14, 2019 at 4:06 PM.

1. Cornell Smith

Cornell Smith New Member

This has me stumped. New 2x4 had no output on channels 2 and 4, regardless of routing- as long as either input was connected to either headphone output. Without changing anything other than the 2x4's input, all 4 channels operate normally. I was using the generator function to set up subs.
    I'm loading the software on another laptop.

2. AudiocRaver

AudiocRaver Senior Admin
    Staff Member

What type of headphone connector are you plugging into the laptop? Is it a 3-conductor TRS male connector, or is it a 4-conductor TRRS male connector? The 4-conductor male connector is meant for use with smartphones and includes a contact for a mic connection. The 3-conductor male connector is for regular headphone jack like most laptops have and includes no mic connection. A 4-conductor plug (male) mated with a 3-conductor jack (female) gives an iffy connection and results that can sound extremely weird. Just a possibility.

3. Cornell Smith

Cornell Smith New Member

No. It was a case of operator error. I had neglected to set the crossovers to ‘bypass ‘. No worries.

4. AudiocRaver

AudiocRaver Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Glad you got it figured out.