L/R Difference

hansbusch

Registered
Dear all,
the room my speakers are in is large and asymmetric but is this behaviour normal? I mean, are the deviations between left and right speaker OK or are there serious issues with my hardware? Or is it just the room? Thanks for some guidance. Right = Green.

Attachments

• measure.png
    measure.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 38

hansbusch

Registered
Thank you for the quick reply. Just for clarity: take 70hz where we see a difference of roughly 5db. I can reproduce this quite nicely with the tone generator and the measurement SPL meter. So, are these stable differences due to the room and room modes? Would these disappear in a perfectly symmetric room? Or this is also due to the speakers itself?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Much larger differences are common, they are due to room effects. The differences are likely to be different at different listening positions, even small changes in position can make a large difference. In principle perfect symmetry in speaker positions, listening position, room construction and materials would reduce or eliminate differences between channels, but I've never encountered a perfectly symmetrical room and even then the response would still not be flat, just more similar between the channels.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
As John noted, entirely normal. To that I’d add, in your case not enough difference to be audible with program.

Regards,
Wayne

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
If you have the ability to frequency match the speakers, it may very well improve on pinpoint imaging, if that is something you really care about. You may not notice it unless you are trying to notice it. With all the speakers evaluations we've done over the years, I've become accustomed to precise imaging on certain songs, and a few dB of variance in the response will affect what I hear. The overall response of both speakers can affect the sound stage and depth acuity... it all works together. Getting it all matched and smoothed out should improve things, if you are listening for those things. Speaker placement will also play a huge part is what you hear as well.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
As has been said pretty normal for the frequency range where room effects are in play. I did also see the distinct level difference starting at 1500 Hz and up. Those frequencies are quite directional and not affected by the room, but by placement.
Assuming the speakers were equidistant from the measurement mic, you might look to be sure the angle of the speakers to the mic is the same as well.

The overall response of both speakers can affect the sound stage and depth acuity... it all works together. Getting it all matched and smoothed out should improve things, if you are listening for those things. Speaker placement will also play a huge part is what you hear as well.

:T

Top Bottom