GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
This thread is dedicated to JVC's latest lineup of 4K / 8K e-shift laser projector lineup.

NZ7/RS2100
$10,999.95

The DLA-NZ7 D-ILA is the world first (as of September 2021, according to a research by JVCKENWOOD) home theater model with 8K/60p/4K120p input. It is equipped with 8K/e-shift proprietary technology with 2-direction shift to reproduce 8K-quality image from 4K signals. 4K120p input also makes the projector ideal for gaming when combined with Low Latency mode. The projector is driven by three 0.69-inch native 4K D-ILA devices and 17-element, 15-group all glass lens with 65 mm diameter to project high-resolution images to every corner of the screen. BLU-Escent laser diode light source also contributes to project the high-resolution 8K image, realizing brightness of 2,200 lumens and longevity of up to 20,000 hours. Compatible with the latest HDR10+, the projector boasts industry leading HDR performance. 8K, Laser, and HDR are the keywords that describe JVCs 2021 projector models.

• 8K/e-shift technology reproduces 8K image quality
  • New 0.69-inch 4K D-ILA (4096 x 2160) device x 3
  • BLU-Escent Laser Light Source
  • High brightness of 2,200 lm provides vibrant and dynamic images
  • 17-element, 15-group all-glass 65mm diameter high-quality lens
  • Native Contrast Ratio of 40,000:1 translates to a spectacular Dynamic Contrast Ratio of ∞ :1
  • 2x HDMI (48 Gbps, HDCP 2.3) inputs, supporting 8K60P and 4K120P input signals
  • HDR10+ contains the metadata of the producer’s intentions for each scene, and with such data, the projector is able to automatically reproduce images as the creator intended.
  • Frame Adapt HDR* dynamically tone maps any HDR10 content frame-by-frame or scene-by-scene and automatically performs adjustment to achieve optimal images close to reality as seen by human eyes. As a part the Frame Adapt HDR, the projector offers improved gamma processing accuracy from 12- to 18-bit equivalent to reproduce smoother and finer gradation
  • New Theater Optimizer** function, which works in Frame Adapt HDR mode, offers optimum HDR images by analyzing usage environments using the screen size and gain information and intelligently adjusts tone mapping.
  • Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings for optimum HDR10 image quality
  • For easy reproduction, the projector switches automatically to HDR picture mode when HDR10 signals are received
  • Nine settings of Installation Mode include Lens Control, Pixel Adjustment, Mask, Anamorphic on or off, Screen Adjust, Installation Style, Keystone, Pincushion, and Aspect; stored installation modes for various environments can be called up.
  • Low Latency Mode suppresses display delay for faster response when receiving signals from PC and game consoles

NZ8/RS3100
$15,999.95

The DLA-NZ8 D-ILA projector is the world first (as of September 2021, according to a research by JVCKENWOOD) home theater model to feature 8K/60p/4K120p input. It is equipped with a new 8K/e-shiftX proprietary technology with 4-direction shift to reproduce 8K-quality image from 4K signals. 4K120p input also makes the projector ideal for gaming when combined with Low Latency mode. The projector is driven by three 0.69-inch native 4K D-ILA devices, high-quality 17-element, 15-group all glass 65 mm lens and Ultra-High Contrast Optics that contribute to deliver optical brightness of 2,500 lumens. BLU-Escent laser diode light source also contributes to project the high-resolution 8K image with full depth and dimensionality with longevity of up to 20,000 hours. Compatible with the latest HDR10+, the projector boasts industry leading HDR performance. 8K, Laser, and HDR are the keywords that describe JVCs 2021 projector models.
  • Newly developed 8K/e-shiftX technology reproduces 8K image quality
  • 17-element, 15-group all-glass 65mm diameter high-quality lens
  • High brightness of 2,500 lm provides vibrant and dynamic images
  • Native Contrast Ratio of 80,000:1 translates to a spectacular Dynamic Contrast Ratio of ∞ :1
  • Wide Colour Gamut above exceeds DCI/P3 spec creating saturated, beautiful images that come to life
  • Frame Adapt HDR* dynamically tone maps any HDR10 content frame-by-frame or scene-by-scene and automatically performs adjustment to achieve optimal images close to reality as seen by human eyes. As a part the Frame Adapt HDR, the projector offers improved gamma processing accuracy from 12- to 18-bit equivalent to reproduce smoother and finer gradation
  • HDR10+ contains the metadata of the producer’s intentions for each scene, and with such data, the projector is able to automatically reproduce images as the creator intended.
  • For easy reproduction, the projector switches automatically to HDR picture mode when HDR10 signals are received
  • New Theater Optimizer** function, which works in Frame Adapt HDR mode, offers optimum HDR images by analyzing usage environments using the screen size and gain information and intelligently adjusts tone mapping.
  • Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings for optimum HDR10 image quality
  • Nine settings of Installation Mode include Lens Control, Pixel Adjustment, Mask, Anamorphic on or off, Screen Adjust, Installation Style, Keystone, Pincushion, and Aspect; stored installation modes for various environments can be called up.
  • Low Latency Mode suppresses display delay for faster response when receiving signals from PC and game consoles

NZ9/RS4100

$25,999.95

The DLA-NZ9 D-ILA projector is the world first (as of September 2021, according to a research by JVCKENWOOD) home theater model to feature 8K/60p/4K120p input. It is equipped with a new 8K/e-shiftX proprietary technology with 4-direction shift to reproduce 8K-quality image from 4K signals. 4K120p input also makes the projector ideal for gaming when combined with Low Latency mode. The projector is driven by three 0.69-inch native 4K D-ILA devices, high-quality 18-element, 16-group 100 mm glass lens with a full aluminum lens barrel, and Ultra-High Contrast Optics that contribute to deliver optical brightness of 3,000 lumens. BLU-Escent laser diode light source also contributes to project the high-resolution 8K image with full depth and dimensionality with longevity of up to 20,000 hours. Compatible with the latest HDR10+, the projector boasts industry leading HDR performance. 8K, Laser, and HDR are the keywords that describe JVCs 2021 projector models and DLA-NZ9 is the high-end model.

• Wide Colour Gamut above exceeds DCI/P3 spec creating saturated, beautiful images that come to life
  • 18-element, 16-group all-glass 100mm diameter high-quality lens
  • Newly developed 8K/e-shiftX technology reproduces 8K image quality
  • High brightness of 3,000 lm provides vibrant and dynamic images
  • Native Contrast Ratio of 100,000:1 translates to a spectacular Dynamic Contrast Ratio of ∞ :1

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I recently purchased a JVC NZ8 to replace an older JVC NX7. The NX7 was an excellent projector and served us well in the home theater room. Right now, you can pick one up on the used market for roughly $4400, which is a massive bargain! If you're looking to move into JVC performance, but have been on the fence because of price, now is the time to strike! At most, you'll need to pay a little on top of an after-market deal for an OEM bulb. But that will still find you sitting pretty on a heap of savings!

I took advantage of this opportunity to make an unboxing video, showing Chief's VCMU mounting hardware, the NZ8, and a brief physical comparison of the NZ8 sitting next to the NX7.

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Ok. So, I've had the NZ8 up and running for a few weeks now and feel I've had enough time using it to compare and contrast with the NX7. First off, as I stated above, the NX7 is a GREAT projector. And everyone jumping on the price savings of a NX7 vs one of the new NZ models will be happy for years to come. I think the biggest argument for going to a NZ7, 8 or 9 vs an NX7 would be to take advantage of the latest gaming consoles and HDMI 2.1... that is, if you're a gamer.

For me, a few things are standing out. First off, start up time is significantly faster. I'd like to say its in the order of 15 seconds faster (as is shutdown time)... switching between sources is faster... and the projector is significantly more quiet. I'm sure you can dig up actual dB numbers, but running the projector in low or medium brightness mode is super quiet. High mode (which I don't need for my screen size) is a notch louder, but none are as loud as the fan noise associated with high lamp mode in the NX7.

Speaking of brightness, I think the NZ8 is paying dividends in that department. I haven't calibrated the projector yet, but I'm running it a factory mode that closely approximates calibration, and the image for 4K HDR films is definitely boosted in the brightness department. Every movie I've watched, thus far, has been in medium mode (with Frame Adapt and Theater Optimizer engaged) and the results have been top shelf.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
A Youtube viewer asked for a comparison between the NZ8 and the X7 and Z7.

I haven't had hands on time with the NZ7, so I can't comment on that. But, I haven't noted any deficits on the NZ8 versus the NX7 in terms of contrast and difficulty with dark scenes. That said, I haven't had time to dial up reference dark scenes for visual scrutiny.... so I'm speaking in a more general sense.

Image-wise, the Z8 is throwing insanely levels of detail on my Seymour Screen. Bottom line - 4K films look gorgeous... and motion (with the various motion modes turned off) appears natural and cinematic.

Value-wise, however, is a tough one, just because a new in box NZ8 is a hefty bit of coin north of the NX7. My position has always been: stay within your financial comfort zone when it comes to gear like this. And, looking objectively at pricing, the $4.4K-plus that a used or new NX7 will set you back isn't anything to sneeze at! Not to mention, you're landing high performance gear at that price.

That said, I haven't, for a moment, felt like the upgrade was a wasted effort. The differences have been worth the price of admission.

Top Bottom