By Todd Anderson on Apr 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM
  1. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

JVC Attacks the 4K DLP Segment with Its New LX-UH1 Projector

[​IMG]
    (JVCKenwood USA Corporation)

(April 4, 2018) JVC is expanding its projector offerings by introducing a new lower cost model that utilizes DLP technology. Priced at $2,499, the new LX-UH1 carries an MSRP that’s $1,500 less than its least expensive D-ILA projector.

The LX-UH1 is marketed as a 4K Ultra HD device, armed with newly developed 0.47in TRP DMD 4K display technology and the capacity for 2,000 lumens of light output (matching brightness capabilities of the company’s more expensive 4K e-shift DLA-X990 and DLA-X790 models). JVC says the projector is capable of supporting the Rec 709 color space in its entirety and is compatible with BT.2020. It also supports both HDR10 and Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) High Dynamic Range, while offering a user selectable two-position automatic aperture for image quality management.

Internally, the LX-UH1 sheds JVC’s vaunted D-ILA imagers in favor of Digital Light Processing (otherwise known as DLP), with color reproduction managed by an RGBRGB color wheel. Its overall dynamic contrast ratio is reported to be an impressive 100,000:1.

The projector houses dual HDMI inputs, however only one offers HDMI 2.0 functionality for data rates up to 18 Gbps and HDCP2.2 compatibility. User friendliness is enhanced by ±60% vertical and ±23% horizontal lens shifts in addition to a 1.6x zoom capability. While the LX-UH1’s size specs haven’t officially been released, it’s billed as a “compact design” which should lend to ease of installation.

The LX-UH1 is scheduled to begin shipping in May.

#1 Todd Anderson, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    tripplej likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'AV Industry News' started by Todd Anderson, Apr 4, 2018.

1. tripplej

tripplej AV Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. We do like it when prices go down. :)

2. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
      Staff Member

Forgetting that this is from JVC, this is a heck of a deal. It has more placement flexibility than most other 4k DLP projectors.

The fact that it is from JVC bodes well for its performance. While I am sure they aren't working any magic on the DLP chips, I still imagine they have done more to ensure good color and as good as can be expected contrast.

As for the features, any chance you know or can find out if it can reproduce DCI-P3 color?

Also this automatic aperture control, is this code for a dynamic iris? Most of the other 4K DLP's are using light modulation, no actual dynamic iris, which has generally performed better.

3. Todd Anderson

Staff Member

Both good questions. The PR material definitely has some cloaking in it... I'm assuming that some portion of DCI is covered (what percentage? don't know). And I do believe that automatic aperture control is referencing some kind of dynamic iris functionality.

I'd already put in a request for further information... I'll update when it becomes explained.

4. Todd Anderson

Staff Member

Here's a few clarifications:

Not surprisingly, the device isn't 4K native, but relies on Texas Instruments TRP technology, and in this instance that likely means each frame is comprised of two passes with shifted images. Your eye won't be able to catch the difference, however, because it happens so fast. Your eye *might* see a color wheel rainbow effect – my eyes are super sensitive to the rainbow effect... but many can't see it.

As for the iris, JVC says it's a three position iris with the following functions: OFF, Low (limited aperture movement), and High (dynamic full range aperture movement).

I'm still waiting to hear if there's DCI color space coverage. My new guess is that its limited (if at all), but that the projector can accept both DCI/BT.2020 signals without error.

#5 Todd Anderson, Apr 5, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    5. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
      Staff Member

The "rainbow effect" is still a concern for me. Ive witnessed it in a couple DLP projectors Ive seen but I know some people are not bothered by it or dont see it.

6. mechman

mechman Senior Admin
      Staff Member

I cannot wait to see how this one performs. It seems like Epson has had a firm grip on the sub-$3K 4K HDR market.

If it supports HDR, I'd guess it supports DCI-P3. Even at that price point, it would be silly not to.

7. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
      Staff Member

This one would be something to get our hands on for an evaluation. A review would be great.

8. Todd Anderson

Staff Member

It probably probably processes DCI... but may not have the capacity to display it... but we shall see.

9. Sonnie

Sonnie Senior Admin
      Staff Member

Awesome price... and street price will likely be a little lower, although initially they may be hard to find.

10. mechman

mechman Senior Admin
      Staff Member

Not sure how hard they will be to find. While I can’t recall off the top of my head, I was thinking their other DLP pj wasn’t a big seller. It’s kind of a step down for JVC. At least that’s the way I see it. :dontknow:

11. JStewart

JStewart Member
      Supporter

I'll be curios to see if there will be a compelling reason to purchase this unit vs. the Optomas using the same tech that have been available for a short while now.