Movie: :3stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1537365327.jpg
Movie

The Jurrassic Park/World films are the epitome of big dumb action flicks. Michael Crichton’s original novel was one of sheer terror and almost mature horror, but Steven Spielberg made cinematic magic back in the 1990s with Jurassic Park. The original 2 sequels didn’t fare nearly as well as the original, but I had a decent time with them. Back in 2015 Universal decided it was time to continue the franchise with new blood, and they created a film that really didn’t NEED to exist, but one that was fun enough to enjoy as a good monster popcorn movie. I have to admit, even though I understand that Jurassic World wasn’t needed in the franchise at all, it was a ton of big goofy CGI fun that had me grinning from ear to ear. However, I also was a bit underwhelmed by the marketing for it’s sequel, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Something didn’t “feel” right and there was some definite hesitation among the fanbase. Unfortunately we were proven right, as Fallen Kingdom is a mishmash of previous scenarios from the series crushed into one giant setup for the third movie in the new trilogy (it seems film makers can’t make any blockbuster these days without INTENDING it to be a trilogy). Playing out as a sort of “best hits of Jurassic Park”, Fallen Kingdom commits the cardinal sin of a blockbuster film. Being boring.

After the devastation of the Indominous Rex in the last film, Jurassic World has been shut down for good and the Isla Nublar has been on lock down for years. Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) has moved on from being a successful businesswoman to being an advocate for the remaining dinosaurs, lobbying for them to be saved from the abandoned island before they go extinct forever. When Hammond’s old partner (played by James Cromwell) comes to Claire with an opportunity to sneak the dinosaur’s off Isla Nublar behind the government’s back the humanitarian leaps at the chance to do some good. With the help of Owen Grady (Chris Pratt), Claire heads over to the island only to find out that it’s a double cross. The business liaison who hired her for Hammond’s partner Benjamin Lockwood has much more nefarious plans of his own. Plans that involve lots and lots of money on his end.

Barely escaping the island with their life, Claire and Owen sneak aboard the mercenary vessel that is transporting the dinosaur’s back to the States, only to find out that there is more to this venture than just pure money. It seems the twisted Dr. Wu (BD Wong) has been working in secret, creating a NEW super weapon dinosaur that can be used for military applications (yes, yes, I know. More super soldier dinosaurs. When will they learn) and it’s up to Owen and Claire to stop them before they unleash a new breed of monster on the world once more.
full?lightbox=1&update=1537365327.jpg
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a strange film for sure. It tries to be fresh and new with the final act twist, but really it’s just a “greatest hits” conglomeration that steals previous plot points from the other 4 films. Yup, we’re heading back to the island to check things out (and of course get a few people eaten). Then there’s poachers….errrr….dinosaur traffickers, coming to steal the poor dinosaurs and sell them for profit. Then some of them get loose and cause havoc (where have we seen that before?). And finally we have the classic face off between a genetically mutated super raptor (holy cow! The raptors again?), only for the velociraptors to come in and help Owen save the day once more. Even the action sequences are all things we’ve seen before from the previous films. I hate to say it, but this was the first Jurassic Park film that I actually started get officially bored with by the 45 minute mark.

The final act is really where things started to get interesting, as the tone of the movie changes dramatically. The first 45 minutes is your classic Jurassic film, but the last 45 minutes or so really amps things up and shifts directly into the horror genre. The mutated super raptor’s escape was inevitable, but it brought back the fear and tension from the first movie’s final conflict instead of just fizzling out. While this is neat and all, it’s the movie’s main premise and “twist” ending that got to me. I won’t tell you what the twist is, but needless to see there’s a “moral conundrum” that happens in the final minutes of the movie that has you screaming at the screen “who with half a brain cell DOES that!?”, leaving a sort of sour taste in your mouth when you realize that the whole film has been nothing but a filler episode to set up the final movie and it’s world changing events (which IS going to happen considering the movie made almost 8 times it’s budget).

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of science-fiction violence and peril

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :5stars:
Shot using the Arri Alexa cameras with a mixture of 3.4K and 6.5K sources, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom has all the earmarks for digital success on Blu-ray. Most online sources don’t say for sure, but a few contacts at Universal have mentioned that the movie was actually finished at 4K, and the 4K UHD disc definitely shows those earmarks. A definite step up from the already perfect Blu-ray,
Fallen World enjoys a luscious array of HDR colors that truly pop off the screen and textural details that are some of the most robust of the franchise. Look at all of the details on the CGI dinosaurs, especially the scene where Claire and Owen are trying to draw blood from the T-rex. The eyes, the skin marks, and the fluid movement of breathing are so real I almost could think it was a living, breathing, animal. The blacks are inky and deep, and the banding in the opening under water scene at Isla Nublar is dramatically reduced, making this an incredibly sharp looking disc. The only issues that I could find was that some of the CGI effects would look a bit soft, which is usually pretty natural with digital effects used in this quantity, but also very noticeable as well. It’s a good looking upgrade over the 1080p Blu-ray, and a shining example of a big blockbuster budget in action.

Audio: :5stars:
Were you expecting anything but sonic perfection from a Jurassic film? Universal brings Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom to both Blu-ray and 4K UHD with a highly impressive DTS:X track that really shakes the foundations of the world. Deep, powerful, and aggressive, the DTS:X mix opens up with an underwater sequence that fills the entire sound stage with a low end pulse that is frighteningly oppressive. Bass is non stop throughout the film, using the score to it’s full advantage, and adding some SERIOUS weight to the stomping and smashing dinosaurs. Surrounds are used judiciously, and wildly, with a highly kinetic sense of directionality that really makes this track one of the best I’ve heard in some time. The overheads get to be used a bit more than usual, with the throbbing sound of helo blades overhead, or the whoosh as a dinosaur falls to its death from a giant rooftop. Vocals are always crisp and clean despite the chaotic nature of the track, and the sense if immersion and dimensional shifting is simply superb. To put it simply, perfect perfect perfect.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• On Set with Chris & Bryce – Go behind the scenes with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard.
• Birth of the Indoraptor – An inside look at the genetically designed monstrosity known as the Indoraptor.
• Death by Dino – Go behind the scenes as the Indoraptor faces off with a key character.
• Monster in a Mansion – Director J.A. Bayona discusses how Jurassic Park and Dracula (1979) influenced his approach to directing the monster in a mansion scene.
• Rooftop Showdown – A look at the terrifying showdown on the rooftop of the Lockwood Mansion.
• Malcolm's Return – Behind the scenes with the one & only Jeff Goldblum.
• VFX Evolved – The team at ILM discuss their cutting-edge approach to creating dinosaurs.
• FALLEN KINGDOM: The Conversation – Filmmakers and cast sit down for a candid and casual conversation about Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
• A Song for the KINGDOM – Justice Smith sings for the cast and crew of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
• Chris Pratt's Jurassic Journals
- Vivian Baker, Makeup Artist
- Mary Mastro, Hair Stylist
- Chris Murphy, 1st Assistant Sound
- Dean Bailey, Stunt Edge Car Driver
- Peter Harcourt, Diver
- Daniella Pineda and Justice Smith, Actors
- Jody Wiltshire, Set PA
- Kelly Krieg, Assistant Script Supervisor
- J.A. Bayona, Director
- James Cox, Stunt Performer
- Rachelle Beinart, Stunt Double
- Bryce Dallas Howard interviews Chris Pratt, Actor
• JURASSIC Then and Now - Presented by Barbasol® – Key moments from the Jurassic saga that tie into Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Final Score: :4stars:

With all the criticism I’ve levied on the movie you might think I actually hate Fallen Kingdom. In reality that’s pretty far from the truth. The movie is a moderately entertaining blockbuster film with good CGI, some fun action sequences and an interesting premise going into the third film. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are as good as ever together, and James Cromwell (as limited as he is) is the perfect throwback to something John Hammond(ish) in nature. It’s just that director J.A. Bayona (who directed the fantastic Spanish horror film The Orphanage and A Monster Calls) has a hard time making something new and exciting with the franchise. Instead content to blend rehashed story lines together to make up an orgy of action sequences to fool the viewer into thinking they’re watching something more than simple filler for the final entry in the new trilogy. The 4K UHD disc is impressive as all getout, with the same perfect audio from the Blu-ray and a very good looking 2160p encode. Easily worth the upgrade over the Blu-ray, and it's still a moderately entertaining watch.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rafe Spall
Directed by: J.A. Bayona
Written by: Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow, Michael Crichton (Novels)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: DTS:X (DTS-HD MA 7.1 Core), French, Spanish DTS-HD HR 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Universal
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 128 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: September 18th, 2018

Recommendation: Decent watch

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
DTS:X mix... +1
Big bass... +2
Great 4K/HDR... +3

I'm in

bkeeler10

More  
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
DTS:X mix... +1
Big bass... +2
Great 4K/HDR... +3

I'm in

My sentiments exactly. On the watch list, which is incredibly long but about to be addressed in the next few weeks ;)

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will rent this one. :)

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Sony UBP-X800
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Subwoofers
SVS PB2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite - Moving to Unfolded Circle Remote 2
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB, PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
and they created a film that really didn’t NEED to exist, but one that was fun enough to enjoy as a good monster popcorn movie.

giphy.gif

I enjoy big dumb action flicks. I'll rent this one. My 12yo told me last night that he didn't really even enjoy this one. Hmm.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Well then... just be that way will you!

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I haven't seen a "Jurassic" movie yet that I didn't enjoy. The storylines haven't always been the best, but that ain't why I watch these movies.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Watched it this weekend... thought it was pretty good and really looking forward to the third installment. Got me looking out my back door every so often to see if one my be grazing on the cows out in our fields. :gulp:

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
lol, I would hope that there wouldn't be one munching on your cows. Otherwise that might pose some interesting problems :greengrin:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Hey... if they can get thru if in the third installment... I'm sure we can too. :bigsmile:

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
my homeowners insurance doesn't cover dinosaur attacks I don't think.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
It's a rider that is fairly inexpensive.

Top Bottom