Issues getting ASIO (either) & REW to work on Dell - my solution

Eskimo

TL;DR: Try installing the 32 bit version of REW.

Long story:
  • We just got a new Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, so it's Win10 Home, Intel chipset, yadda yadda. Updated all drivers to latest. Denon AVR-X3700 receiver, also up to date.
  • Installed all the latest versions of the REW, ASIO4all software available as of 1/5/21. No-go. Can get tones to play (using Java), but when trying to set preferences, either the UMIK connects and the AVR doesn't, vice-versa, ASIO4all won't load, or was showing the "computers hate you" error in ASIO4all for Intel HD audio.
  • Tried ASIOFlex instead of ASIO4all. Worked exactly once, when would always have issues where it couldn't load the UMIK.
  • Tried various combinations of Windows properties, disabling RealTek (or not), allowing exclusive access to the AVR and UMIK (or not), etc.
  • Tried several different HDMI cables, even down to a known-good 3 foot 18Gbps one.
  • Basically, over the course of 6 hours and countless reboots, installs, setting changes, etc., I just couldn't get REW to do more than play tones.
Then, I tried uninstalling REW and installing the 32-bit version, thinking back to my earlier I.T. days where 64-bit software wouldn't always play nice with 32-bit software (especially web browsers and the various plugins). VIOLA! That did it. Everything worked as it should, per all the helpful guides posted here and elsewhere.

I hope this may help someone as I did seem to notice other folks having similar issues with no definitive solution posted. Oddly enough, it seems to be mostly Dell laptop users. Not sure if it's because they're the most popular, or the most troublesome.

Top Bottom