REW Beta Release Interpreting REW measurements and applying room treatment/DAW EQ

JuiceBox1111

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Focusrite Sapphire Pro24 DSP
Main Amp
VOXAC30 :)
Front Speakers
Genelec 1031A
Hello all,

Total noob here. Help me understand these measurements. I'm unsure either how these frequency curves could help me either apply correct EQ in my DAW to compensate for my room (is that even something people do?), and am similarly unsure how to move forward with room treatment. I'm fairly certain I did the measurements correctly. Not sure if I should have applied EQ, or why it is important in regards to a raw measurement. If there's another way, please correct me. What exactly should I be looking for in these graphs? Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations about speaker placement (I know my room is a terrible mixing environment) or any other quick and dirty room related fixes.

Output device: Focusrite Sapphire Pro DSP 24
Soundcard calibration: Done from Sapphire Pro headphone output to Macbook Pro line inputs.
SPL meter calibration and measurement: Done with RadioShack C-weighted SPL meter going RCA-->1/8'' into Macbook Pro line input (SPDIF input of Sapphire didnt pick up a signal from the radioshack RCA outs, otherwise I would have done that)
Default EQ selected: DSP1124P/FQB1000

Red line= 1M sweep || Green Line = 256k sweep || black = soundcard calibration
SPL&phase w. soundcard calibration data.jpg

10-200Hz close up:

10-200hz Reading.jpg

1k-20k sweep close-up:

1k-20k reading.jpg

My room/home studio:

20180502_132728-2.jpg

20180503_144722.jpg

20180503_144918.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the insight,

PJ

Attachments

• 10-200hz Reading.jpg
    10-200hz Reading.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1k-20k reading.jpg
    1k-20k reading.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 13
  • SPL&phase w. soundcard calibration data.jpg
    SPL&phase w. soundcard calibration data.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180503_144918.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Your soundcard cal shows signs of feedback, that is the cause of the regular dips in it - that needs to be fixed before you can get meaningful measurements. Likely there is some monitoring active.

It is more usual to use a log frequency axis rather than the linear axis you used in the 10-200 and 1k-20k plots.

You have an extreme SPL range, a good range to use is 60 dB. You can set the range by clicking on the Limits button at the top right of the graph.

It looks like you may not have calibrated the REW SPL meter hence the fairly low levels shown in your plots.

The RS meter has a peak around 5 kHz and rolls off quite rapidly above 8k, so don't pay much attention to that range.

Top Bottom