Infinity RS152 Surround Speaker

I bought the Infinity RS152 surrounds to use as my rear surround channels in a 9.2.6 home theater. My primary speakers are all Paradigm and I did not have space to mount the matching book shelf speakers at the proper height for my rear surround channels. The matching surrounds to my reference speakers are Paradigm ADP and Atmos guidelines specifies not to use dipoles. I decided to try another option in another brand of speaker from Infinity that uses Hemispherical Soundfield Technology (HST) which is patented by Harman. The speaker has tweeters that are positioned to fire to the left and to the right. The 5 inch woofer is mounted on the BACK of the speaker and the mounting bracket positions it about 2 inches from the wall. My current rear surround speakers are Paradigm book shelfs mounted high up on the wall near the ceiling. This doesn't work because the sound bleeds into the height channels for Atmos and Auro 3D making a mish mash of what should be two distinct soundfields, a base layer and a height layer. After installing the speaker I was able to A/B the two setups by having a friend toggle back and forth. The RS 152's just envelop you like a donut. The technology radiates sound 180 degrees and having two of them is amazing. It is almost like having an additional phantom center channel behind you. In music replay it feels like you are sitting in a stereo sweet spot that is emanting from all around you when listening in immersive audio. With movies instead of the sensation that there is sound coming from behind you on the left, the right or together it is more like the entire rear wall becomes a speaker. My rear wall is also well treated which may contribute to the effect but WOW! The speakers are solid like a traditional bookshelf instead of a satellite speaker. They are about 8 inches deep so don't stick out from the wall like a book shelf would and mount easily with 2 wood screws. If I had paid full retail of around $450 I would call them a bargain. I got them on sale for about $150 which was a little scary, I was worried that the SQ wouldn't be there. Directional sounds are still pinpoint but music swells in soundtracks, and sounds like crashes, storms, etc, are like the entire back wall is a speaker, GREAT! I have tried monoploles and dipoles in the past. In the future I would feel fine using these speakers for all of my surround duties, even in a system where the front channels are much more expensive. The timber match was a non issue for my system.

Last edited:
This is a diagram of the benefits of HST technology which is used by Harman companies:

Top Bottom