Individual Speaker Measurements - Something I'm not Understanding?

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
I measured each speaker individually by first taking allinone and then each speaker's measurements (in zip file).
The timings all seemed to move over to the individual measurement. Attached is the impulse response analysis for the measurement.
Should not this graph show the impulses all lined up or am I missing something here?

Attachments

• Individual.jpg
    Individual.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Measurements.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 212

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
The impulses from the speaker by speaker measurement are not time adjusted, that happens late in the correction process. The correct timing from the allinone session is saved with the measurement and accounted for in the correction filters and the simulations.

jrobbins50

Bernt, here's my impulses after correction. Am I correct in interpreting this graph to mean that the back left surround is time aligned with the others, but out of phase? JCR

Attachments

• Impulse Response Simulated All Speakers.JPG
    Impulse Response Simulated All Speakers.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 113

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Hi Bernt.
Back to the subject of the individual speaker measurements.

Filters created with "allinone" (individual.measurement in zip) sound much better. Vocals centered, and cohesive soundstage.

When listening to Filters created with "individual" settings (AllSpeakersIndividual.measurement), vocals are pulled to the LF and cohesiveness is lost (easy to hear with 2 channel material). Something seems off.

I suppose I might have a bad measurement for the individual files, so I might attempt to remeasure in near future ...

One more question about the simulated impulse. As you explained they will not line up, but should individual IR's appear in order of the measurement's time delays for each speaker?

One unrelated question;Is microphone calibration applied during filter generation or during measurement?

Thanks

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105
Hi Bernt,
The impulses from the speaker by speaker measurement are not time adjusted, that happens late in the correction process. The correct timing from the allinone session is saved with the measurement and accounted for in the correction filters and the simulations.

I have to ask one more time about this -sorry:)
Something just seems wrong here.
Ok. I understand final processing does not occur until filter generation and the simulation presents as you explained in previous post.

But when viewing the IR measurements, shouldn't the measurement's timings reflect the corrected values from the allinone measurement? If that is the case, the graph for the IR measurements appears to display the incorrect delays i.e. the values you see after clicking the reset button and NOT the delays that were recorded by the Allinone measurement.

I suspect this is the case because when generating the filters everything audio seems to be "off", so I suspect the wrong delays are being used in the calculations. Is this possible?
Thanks

Attachments

• ValuesFromAllInOne.jpg
    ValuesFromAllInOne.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 38
  • resetValues.jpg
    resetValues.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 34

whoareyou

More  
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
ATI AT525NC
Computer Audio
JRiver
DAC
Exasound E38
Front Speakers
Psb synchrony one
Center Channel Speaker
PSB synchrony one C
Surround Speakers
Revel m105

So what is the process here when using individual measurements. Is the idea to look at the IR graph for each speaker and adjust the correction on a speaker by speaker basis?

Regardless of that process, I've now taken a 2nd measurement and the result still seems to be off. Comparing the individual to allinone generated filters the allinone are vastly superior. It's easy to hear with vocals and instruments moved offcenter. In my case everything is usually pulled to the left side. Thanks.

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You need to start with an allinone measurement to capture the real timing differences. If you reset or change the timing later all bets are off.

Top Bottom