Ideal Speaker Positioning for Home Studio

mrfye17

Registered
Hi Great People of the world.

I am trying to find the optimal positioning for my monitors in my home studio (primarily for Mixing).

There are 2 different positions, both with a good 'Phantom Centre, Depth and Imaging.

The problem that I have is that at Position 1, the Soundstage is even and balanced but the sound from the L/R Speakers blend within the Soundstage, while in Position 2, even though the Soundstage is even and balanced as well, the sound from the L/R Speakers is distinctive - meaning that I can hear Left Spkr distinctively from the Right Spkr and vice versa.

My question is:
Should the sound blend more like Position 1 or is it better to have the separation that Position 2 offers?
Which would be a more real and accurate representation of a Mix, while Mixing for the real world?

Thanking you all in advance,
Chris

DanDan

Staff member
Generally for loudspeakers we place the head about 250mm forward of an imagined apex of an equilateral triangle.
Unfortunately speaker listening is very different from headphones which do not have that solid centre which speakers create in the air between them. The biggest factor in any audio is usually LF. I would focus on optimising that. Quite often that entails placing the speakers almost touching the Front Wall.

mrfye17

Registered
Hy Dan Dan,
We've spoken before on other threads. How are you?

I have treatment and LF sorted (as much as possible).
Both these positions have a Solid centre and both are close to the front wall but wanted to get opinions on the 2 different positions as far as which would be better for mix translation outside of the studio.
Is hearing the L/R Speakers in a direct, definitive way (Position 2) netter than the blending in Position 1 or am I missing something or, it just doesn't matter?

DanDan

Staff member
All good tx. Headphone listening is very wide with no interaction between L and R. So I guess position 2 if you mixes are going to the Buds crowd. Position one seems more integrated.....

mrfye17

Registered
You make a good point Dan (the buds crowd)
So I guess, by choosing this, then it should also translate nicely on a Hi-Fi system?

mrfye17

Registered
Hmmmmm. yes....the good'ol X-talk with headphones, or lack thereof!

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
You might consider getting another set of monitors... If you have 2-way get 3-way and vice-versa... Is your target audience buds, boomboxes, Hi-Fis or Audiophiles? Use what works best for you and your workflow while mixing... Then go back and listen with multiple output systems... Adjust as necessary...

Last edited:
Top Bottom