I Build My Version of "Audiophile" Speaker Cables

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I Build My Version of “Audiophile” Speaker Cables

01 Anaconda Spk cable.jpg

I have lusted after “Those Cables”… You know the ones I mean! Power cables the size of firehoses… Speaker Cables that look like Anacondas snaking across the floor. Interconnects that cost thousands per meter with diamonds embedded into the cable surface!

After consulting with my wife about whether we (Read I) could spend $50,000 on new speaker cables (not only NO! But HELL NO! was the answer) I decided to look into building my own version of an “Audiophile” Speaker Cable. And so, although my speaker cables were (probably) as good as they are likely to be electrically... they just weren’t “Pretty” or “Impressive” enough to suit me. So off I went credit card in hand.

I started with two identical runs of Belden 5T00UP 10 Gauge speaker wire. I ran these two wires through a split loom tube and suspending them through-out the tube with 1 1/8” inch rubber washers set at 18” interval with four stacked up at each end under the cable boot. Then I snaked 1.25 Inch tech-flex over the entire length of the split loom covered cable for a seamless look..

Each end of the resulting bi-wire/bi-amp capable cable was then capped with 2” shrink wrap over which I placed a shrink-to-fit two outlet cable boot.

Each of the 10 gauge pairs was then covered with 3/8” tech-flex into a final split cable “pants” terminating in either spade lugs or “locking” banana plugs. More shrink wrap was added and everything was shrunk down nice and snug.

The reason I went with different terminations on the two pairs of wire was to facilitate placing two wires on the same posts at the amp end.

02 - Bi-Wire amp view.jpg

It actually looks pretty cool and is appropriately “firehose” - like in size (about 1 1/2” outside diameter).

Cost to make was really more than I should have spent but it very aesthetically pleasing… at least to me. And, I can stare at it for hours :-)

03 Kohnnman Center 1.jpg

Here is a parts list if interested;
Belden 5T00UP 10 gauge speaker cable – available from Parts Express or Blue Jeans Cables among others at about $1.05 per foot – two identical runs per LCR cables.

2.5” (although 1.5” would probably work as well) Heat Shrink Two Channel Breakout Boots – available from CableOrganizer.com for about $6.64 each – 2 per cable
https://www.cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink-boots/

Rubber Grommets – 1 1/8” OD 5/8” ID
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719VDZ5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Qty 50 - needed 150 for LCR cables - About $15.00 per bag of 50

10 Gauge Cable Pants 10 Pack - Need 4 per cable – Amazon $12.89 for a 10 pack –
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792G95FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1” Split Loom Alex Tech Cable Protector – Amazon $21.99 for 25 feet - bought two (50’) as I already had about 30’
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW3MKGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expandable sleeving used to cover the split loom tubing for a seamless look
1.25" PET Expandable Braided Sleeving- 100ft - Black – Amazon 100’ for $65.00

3/8” 25ft - 3/8 inch Flexo PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – Black – Alex Tech Braided Cable Sleeve
25’ Black - $7.00 on Amazon

3/8” 25ft - 3/8 inch Flexo PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – BlackBlue – Alex Tech Braided Cable Sleeve
25’ Blue/Black $9.00 on Amazon

Heat Shrink for each end of cable
Dual Wall Heat Shrink Tubing 3:1 Ratio Heat Activated Adhesive Glue Lined Marine Shrink Tube Wire Sleeving Wrap Protector Black 5Ft (Dia 50mm(2"))

Spade Lugs - Mediabridge ULTRA Series Fast-Lock 45° Spade Plugs - 6 Pair Per Package - (Part# SPC-ST2-6)– 6 Pair per package - $19.07

Locking Banana Plugs – I used some Nakamichi Plugs that I already had on hand. I believe I bought them from Blue Jeans Cable for $7.25 per pair. Needed 6 pair…. These may be available from Amazon… there are MANY Banana plugs available.

As you can see this wasn’t a cheap project. Take a look at the pictures to see if it was worth it.

04 Spk Cables at wall 1.jpg

05 Cables on elevators 4.jpg

06 Spk cable 3.jpg

I built some cable elevators as well just to display the cables. I did not expect any sonic improvement from the elevators and received exactly what I expected… NO SONIC IMPROVEMENT. I have a little more work to do on the elevators… I want to place some outriggers on them for a bit more stability when I have a chance. I might also spray paint them with a nice “crackle” style finish as well.

I did not expect any sonic improvement from the “improved” speaker wire either. And again I received exactly what I expected. I considered my speaker cables about as good as can be had without taking out a second mortgage on the house anyway, so no disappointment there.

Am I happy with the effort and money expended? Yes! It is more aesthetically appealing and magnitudes more impressive when folks come over!:-)

Cheers!

AJ Soundfield

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXA800, Denon AVR-X4500, Lexicon MC10
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Abacus Ampino, Triode Corp TRV-35SE
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
Soundfield Cardioid Rythmik Servo
Other Speakers or Equipment
AVA ABX

Mike-48

I think you have incorporated all the elements that make expensive cables desirable (size, excessive cost, stickers with arrows, oversized connectors) while adding one that's not always there -- wire that is low in R, L, C. Now it's time to open a Web store and sell them for thousands!

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I think you have incorporated all the elements that make expensive cables desirable (size, excessive cost, stickers with arrows, oversized connectors) while adding one that's not always there -- wire that is low in R, L, C. Now it's time to open a Web store and sell them for thousands!

Thanks Mike! It was a fun project and inspired a Faux Review that you can see at www.TomsMultiInterest.com if interested :cool:!

Tom

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I like the idea of banana/spade combination. I have biwire cables with removable terminals and have done the same for my single post needs.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I like the idea of banana/spade combination. I have biwire cables with removable terminals and have done the same for my single post needs.
Thanks! It works great for the "Bi-Wireing" configuration. Wouldn't be as needed if doing Bi-Amping of course :cool: ! The removable ends are the more elegant solution though!!

T

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I love the look of the cables. I need to make some that are about 4' long for my speakers too. I have been tempted to make some speaker wires out of silver core wire... I know it would be expensive, but nowhere near asexpensive as the audiophile ones.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
I love the look of the cables. I need to make some that are about 4' long for my speakers too. I have been tempted to make some speaker wires out of silver core wire... I know it would be expensive, but nowhere near asexpensive as the audiophile ones.
Thanks! It was a fun project ;-) For a 4” run of speaker wire i can’t imagine silver vs copper would add or change anything for the better or the worse. If you do decide to go ahead with the silver core please let us know if you perceive any change in the sound!

Tom

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Thanks! It was a fun project ;-) For a 4” run of speaker wire i can’t imagine silver vs copper would add or change anything for the better or the worse. If you do decide to go ahead with the silver core please let us know if you perceive any change in the sound!

Tom
I have some milspec silver plated I can use too, but I would have to braid a lot of them together to get 12gauge. I really like the monster size cable you made though too

Top Bottom