How does a HDMI handshake work?

Trevor

Registered
I have a question about HDMI that I can’t post in the Tech Talk forum as I don’t have the privileges.

I am trying to resolve an HDMI issue between my Mac Mini and my LG TV, which I use as a second display. The interface between the two works fine if I use a USB-C port and an HDMI adapter.

However, when I use the HDMI port on the computer it does not recognize the TV consistently. I have tried talking to Apple support, but they blame the TV. There are many others out there with the same issue on many other different TVs.

Before I get into any specifics, could someone direct me to somewhere that I could learn how the HDMI handshake works? I would like to understand more before I start asking detailed questions.

tripplej

AV Addict
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge

Trevor

Registered
Hi trippleJ,

Thank you for your reply, I have read the links you listed. That one particular TV setting did not resolve it for me.

I do not have a consistent set of symptoms to give you, but the TV is intermittently recognized through the HDMI port whereas the TV is always recognized through the USB-C port (with HDMI adapter).

My gut feeling is that the HDMI handshake between the two fails, and is not reattempted. I believe it is supposed to keep trying, and maybe it is but I don't know how to tell. How often should the handshake be occuring, and which unit sends the invitation to communicate; the computer or the TV?

Top Bottom