Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 40
Subwoofers
SVS PB13 Ultra x 2
Video Display Device
LG OLED e6
Unfortunately, yesterday I tried to time align my two subs (located non-equidistant on the front wall) and it did not work. I cannot figure out what I did wrong in the process. This is what I did.
1) I bypassed RoomPerfect (calibration software) by changing one of the speaker distances (very small amount) so it turned off RP.
2) measured the time delay of both subs compared to the front left speaker (2.58ms, 2.91ft). Front left had no delay
3) measured the sub furthest away from mlp (3.04ms, 3.4ft)
4) measured the closest sub (1.87ms, 2.11ft). To do this I disconnected it from the daisy chain and connected it directly to the processor
5) I tried to time align the closet sub with phase adjustment. At 45 degrees it had a delay of 3.02ms. When I looked at the overlay graph and compared it to the further sub it looked like the phase was farther apart though. They did not directly match over one another. I left it here because my understanding was to get the same delay time as the farther sub.
6) I then connected the two subs together again and found the delay to be 3.2ms or 3.4ft.
7) I went into the speaker settings and moved the distance of the subs back 3.4 feet prior to calibration.
8) After calibration I then re-measured the delay time for the LFE and it was 3.85ms or 4.34ft.
I thought that after adjusting the distance of the LFE it would have had a delay of close to 0. Is that correct in my understanding? Do you have any thoughts on what went wrong? I am very confused as to why the delay increased after setting the LFE channel further back in the distance settings. The processor that I have does not do time delay for the LFE channel. It is to be figured out prior to and then set with the distance measurement that you put in prior to calibration. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Pic: This is before and after I sub aligned. The magenta is before and the blue is after. The blue is after room calibration had been run and is activated.

Attachments

• Before and after sub align 12-31-17.jpg
    Before and after sub align 12-31-17.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 80

John Mulcahy

REW Author
A lot going on there so a bit difficult to follow. As the subs are connected to the same output one way to try and find the best phase setting for them to get the best combined response would be to make live adjustments to the phase control(s) while looking at the response on the RTA when the REW Pink PN test signal is playing, use these RTA settings:

rtasettings.jpg

Top Bottom