[Help] Checklist for acoustic measurement Controlroom and Vocal/Drum booth

Fajele

Registered
Hello kind Supporters Greetings from Italy
I found your manual in Italian and I studied it all but I understand that it is only a manual and I need to understand more

I have been a member of the forum for some time but recently I got up on Rew because I would like to perform acoustic measurements of my control room and vocal-drum booth
I use a behringer ECM8000 measurement microphone and I would like to understand how to perform measurements correctly and then understand the acoustic treatment to be done

If is possible I would like to understand if there is a checklist to follow, which can help me understand,
because recently I am using over this amazing software,
and would like to understand how to best do for calibrate mic and soundcard focusrite 18i20 and taking measurements

and finally I would like to understand which specific version to use of Rew that you recommend for me at the beginning

Sorry for my english and thanks for a kind reply and I wait

Have a good day! :)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'd recommend using the latest version from here generally, but the online guides you find may be for older versions. This post has some articles and other content to help.

Fajele

Registered
Hello kind John Mulcahy
I I've heard about Room EQ Wizard from Video Gik Acoustic and recently I use it and I would like to understand how to use it at its best and for the bare minimum. I have studied the whole REW manual and I took a look at the guides you indicated to me but unfortunately I still have doubts ... I am using REW to acoustic treatment my project studio and currently there are only two superchuncks in the corners behind audiodesk. I would like to have sensitive data but I have not understood what I read and how I should interpret the data and which data and graphs I have to take into consideration and if there are particular any window display functions that I have to set.
I currently use a Focusrite 18i20 soundcard and a behringer ECM8000 and currently I have calibrated only the sound card for frequency response compensation but I don't know how I should calibrate the ECM 8000 microphone.
I'll post you screenshots,
I ask you kindly:

• I don't use a Ref In signal (because I didn't understand how to use it) but I just calibrated the sound card using a loopback, now the preferences panel settings are correct?
  • How can I calibrate my microphone?

• What are the graphs that I have to consider for my goal and how should I interpret them? and what window settings should I set to have more readable data?

?hash=c1b0bd836dbb70b28bfff697c893c10e.png

Thanks for a kind reply!
1f642.png

Attachments

• Preference.png
    Preference.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Preference.png
    Preference.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Soundcard cal looks fine. To calibrate your microphone you would require a calibrated or known flat reference microphone. To look at acoustic treatments you don't need microphone calibration, however, just don't pay too much attention to the shape of the response at high frequencies where it will be most affected by mic variations. Make sure the 18i20 is set to 48 kHz in Audio Midi Setup on the Mac, it should be set to the same sample rate as you want to use in REW. To interpret the results and effects of treatment probably best posting in the Room acoustics and treatments forum.

Top Bottom