N/A
Rear Height Speakers
N/A
Subwoofers
Sound Insight SI-200
Other Speakers or Equipment
Marantz 150 Tuner
Other Equipment
Shuanyata AV, Shunyata HC PCs, VPI Aries/12.7, 3D arms/Lyra Etna, Stillpoints ESS, assorted Stillpoints Ultra products under every component in my system.
For those interested, you can see some picks of the GTA3Rs at CAF 2018... along with shots of a couple of other rooms... here: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/show-discussion-capital-audiofest-2018-nov-2-4.3467/#post-29151
Hi Everyone,
Well I finally took delivery of and have the initial setup of my GTA3r speaker system. Though I continue to fine tune the setup and room acoustics, the system is sounding really good and improving all the time as the drivers, subs, and new line stage log hours. I'm also dealing with room treatment tuning issues as I respond to the increased demands these full range speakers place on the listening space. I've added 4 more Apertures to the back wall and panels on the side walls but measuring tells me I need a little more absorption on the sides.

In addition to the pictures, I hope to have a couple of videos coming soon.

John

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    653.1 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010039.JPG
    P1010039.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 68

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
@allvinyl John - that's a super clean setup you have there. I'd love to hear it.

I'm curious: when you demoed the speakers, did the demo system have a larger stack of sub drivers? Or was it the same size as yours? Wondering if you note any difference in bass performance. And how are the speakers sounding to your ears? Similar to demo or different?

Last edited:

allvinyl

More  
Viola Crescendo
Main Amp
Viola Symphony
Other Amp
Channel D Lino C 2.1 Current Mode Phono
Vitus SCD-010
Front Speakers
GT Audio Works 3.1R
Center Channel Speaker
N/A
Surround Speakers
N/A
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
N/A
Rear Height Speakers
N/A
Subwoofers
Sound Insight SI-200
Marantz 150 Tuner
Other Equipment
Shuanyata AV, Shunyata HC PCs, VPI Aries/12.7, 3D arms/Lyra Etna, Stillpoints ESS, assorted Stillpoints Ultra products under every component in my system.
@allvinyl John - that's a super clean setup you have there. I'd love to hear it.

I'm curious: when you demoed the speakers, did the demo system have a larger stack of sub drivers? Or was it the same size as yours? Wondering if you note any difference in bass performance. And how are the speakers sounding to your ears? Similar to demo or different?
Todd - Thanks for the kudos on the setup. Yes, I try to keep it neat with cables off the floor and routed as sensibly as is possible. It still ends up looking like a plate of spaghetti in spots!

I actually demoed both subwoofer setups, the SI200 two-driver and the SI600 six driver per side. Though the SI600 had more slam/impact Steve's room better supports the additional energy than my room would. Though my basement room is essentially 18' x 36', it has a low 7' 2" suspended ceiling. The SI200 provides plenty of foundation and slam and with the Apertures on the back wall and absorption panels on the side walls, the bass energy is controlled and integrates seamlessly with the main panels. I couldn't be more pleased with the room response from the initial setup, though I will continue to experiment with fine tuning positioning. I really like the ability to 'crank it up' when the music and mood dictate.

Yes, I would say that what I heard over my two day demo in NJ is what I'm getting in my own listening room. I would add that with the recent electrical system updates that include a new panel and proper home ground system, necessitated by a fireball shooting from the duplex into which my right channel subwoofer amp was plugged, the improvement to the overall character of the system was immediately evident upon first listen. Last weekend's near disaster was a blessing in disguise as the improved power in our '63 built home is especially evident in the system's sound. Better articulation across the board, more drive, improved separation of the image from the speakers. I'm in home audio heaven!

John

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Great system you have, John. I was not familiar with the GT Audio Works brand, but upon checking out the website and speaker specs I was surprised to find out they are quite easy to drive at 92dB sensitivity : )
Do you find the speakers to be very picky with where you sit to maximize the sound quality?

allvinyl

More  
Viola Crescendo
Main Amp
Viola Symphony
Other Amp
Vitus SCD-010
Front Speakers
GT Audio Works 3.1R
Center Channel Speaker
N/A
Surround Speakers
N/A
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
N/A
Rear Height Speakers
N/A
Subwoofers
Sound Insight SI-200
Marantz 150 Tuner
Other Equipment
Great system you have, John. I was not familiar with the GT Audio Works brand, but upon checking out the website and speaker specs I was surprised to find out they are quite easy to drive at 92dB sensitivity : )
Do you find the speakers to be very picky with where you sit to maximize the sound quality?
My room is essentially 18' x 36' x 7'2". I follow the rule of thirds. The speakers are about 11.5 feet from the back wall and the listening chairs are about the same distance from the speakers. Yes, I have the tweeters about 8' feet apart with the subs inside to the main panels.

allvinyl

More  
Viola Crescendo
Main Amp
Viola Symphony
Other Amp
Vitus SCD-010
Front Speakers
GT Audio Works 3.1R
Center Channel Speaker
N/A
Surround Speakers
N/A
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
N/A
Rear Height Speakers
N/A
Subwoofers
Sound Insight SI-200
Marantz 150 Tuner
Other Equipment
Finally got to the videos:
One of me talking about the speakers, one of cd, one of vinyl.

I just learned the video I made of the Pat Methany Group song "Barcarole" from German ECM vinyl is copyright blocked.

allvinyl

More  
Viola Crescendo
Main Amp
Viola Symphony
Other Amp
Vitus SCD-010
Front Speakers
GT Audio Works 3.1R
Center Channel Speaker
N/A
Surround Speakers
N/A
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
N/A
Rear Height Speakers
N/A
Subwoofers
Sound Insight SI-200
Marantz 150 Tuner
Other Equipment
Top Bottom