Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface (3rd Gen) ?

lech

Registered
Hello everyone.
I am a beginner and I was very excited about this project when I found it yesterday, for now, I have ordered a FocusRight solo usb device and it will delivery tomorow.

My aim is: Measure the response and harmonic distortion of a DIY tube amplifier with a load of (4R or 8R).
The power of this amplifier is about 1W-> 110W (30V p-p max), I want to ask how much with this device, how much Vp-p max directly put into this device to not damage the device.

Is REW + with the above device suitable for my purpose?
Thank you

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is a significant risk of destroying the soundcard input if you drive it directly from a power amplifier. The Focusrite Solo does have a high input level tolerance on its line input (at minimum gain) of 22 dBu per the spec, which is just under 10 V rms, but it is much, much safer to use an attenuator at the input (20 dB or more, typically) if measuring a power amplifier. If your amp can deliver 110 W into 8 R that would be about 30 V rms, 85 V p-p.

lech

Registered
This means that it is possible to input directly if it is below 10vrms, so in the case above 10vrms is there any solution?

Top Bottom