First Measurements of my Studio,

Semih Yanyali

My room is 12'x22'. Ceiling is around 7.5". I have bass traps, panels and ceiling cloud made out of 2" or 4" thick mineral wool or fiberglass.

I did 3 sweeps, one for each speaker and also a stereo one. The Mic (behringer ECM8000, i have the calibration file) is placed at my listening position. I didn't calibrate my soundcard. It's an UA Apollo 8. Some months ago i measured it and its almost flat so i dont think a calibration file of the soundcard will have much of an impact on the result.
But plz let me know if i am wrong.

My REW file, some screen shots and Room photos are attached.

Any suggestion on where i need to fix my room acoustics or how to do better measurements are welcome.

Thx

gear i am using: Apollo 8, Behringer ECM8000, Pair of Neumann KH310 monitors.

note: the calibration file is attached, i needed to compress the file, couldnt upload the file with .cal extension.
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.51.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.50.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 10.50.15 AM.png FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0213.JPG

Attachments

• Measurements 9.26.18.mdat
    9.1 MB · Views: 9
  • PATTEN ECM8k.cal.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 7

Semih Yanyali

need to add: for these measurements i placed the Behringer ECM800 Mic pointing the ceiling. I get much better High Frequency results if i point the Mic towards the Monitor / shooting in between both speakers.

no idea, which way is the right way.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
I didn't calibrate my soundcard. It's an UA Apollo 8. Some months ago i measured it and its almost flat so i dont think a calibration file of the soundcard will have much of an impact on the result.
Most interfaces these days pretty much have ruler-flat response, so no reason to use a calibration file if calibration confirms that it has flat response.

Any suggestion on where i need to fix my room acoustics or how to do better measurements are welcome.
Acoustical treatments primarily decrease signal decay and improve acoustics measurements. They have minimal effect on frequency response, if that’s what you’re trying to improve.

need to add: for these measurements i placed the Behringer ECM800 Mic pointing the ceiling. I get much better High Frequency results if i point the Mic towards the Monitor / shooting in between both speakers.

no idea, which way is the right way.
Upright mic orientation would require a 90-degree calibration file to compensate for the natural roll-out of the highs that comes with off-axis measurements.

Personally I’ve never been a fan of upright orientation, because it goes against the grain of my pro-audio training. It's been a while since I checked, but as far as I know, no professional audio tech measuring auditoriums uses an upright orientation.

Aside from that, the results of frequency response measurements at home can be skewed if one has a low ceiling that’s on the reflective side (e.g., smooth surface with no ceiling texture). In years past, both John and Herb Singleton of Spectrum Labs have suggested upright orientation for acoustics measurements, and 0-degree (or tilted upwards a bit) for frequency response measurements. This minimizes the effect of the mic body.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Semih Yanyali

Acoustical treatments primarily decrease signal decay and improve acoustics measurements. They have minimal effect on frequency response, if that’s what you’re trying to improve.
t

thx Wayne, i quess i am talking about both. If i get it write the decay effects also the frequency response. Looking at the graph i posted. Should i get some bass membrane traps for frequencies below 100hz.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Sorry, I don’t know anything about treatments. I’m sure GIK acoustics or RealTraps could make some recommendations.

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom