File Permisson

srossi

I am not sure when this changed but now I am not able to save measurements to a network share due to permission unless I run REW as administrator. Beta 41, Any insight?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Permissions are controlled by the OS and the security settings for the network shares. You can check the permissions by right clicking on the network share, selecting properties then the Security tab and looking at what permissions different user groups have.

srossi

Yeah - I currently have r/w permissions for the share (not full control). My reason for mentioning this problem is that in prior REW versions file saving worked and now it does't unless REW is ran as admin. I understand you believe this is OS related and I can always run REW as admin. My intent was to report what seems to be a different behavior.
Thanks for your time.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The only related change I can think of was in beta 37, which was a check that the user has permission to write to the directory chosen to save a file. That shouldn't need any special rights though. I think you would need read, write, modify and possibly list folder contents privileges. If you didn't have modify I'm not sure you would be able to overwrite an existing file.

Gregory Livingstone

Registered
Hi,

I have similar or same issue writing to share. I've checked security in both windows and on NAS. As a workaround I was saving to desktop and moving them to NAS with explorer.

Additionally I was having issue getting to the share from open menu, but I am able to get to them from the "My PC" path now. At present there share is mounted using NAS username, that username owns all the files, share is connected with drive letter. If I go to home icon in it shows unnamed folders some of which eventually open as disk and a couple are not expandable. Attached pic of that as well.

Greg

Attachments

• RWE Write Access Error dialog.JPG
    RWE Write Access Error dialog.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
  • REW Folder View.JPG
    REW Folder View.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 6

Gregory Livingstone

Registered
When I tried running as administrator earlier I could see the share. Tried again after posting above. I get the same write access failure when REW is run as administrator.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Seems Java's isWritable() has some issues with network shares, I'll change the way access is checked for the next beta.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Since beta 42 REW hasn't relied on the Java runtime to say whether a location is accessible, it tries to create and then delete a file in the requested location and if it can't do that it shows an Access Denied error.

Gregory Livingstone

Registered
The behavior is similar (think is the same) as earlier issue (the Java related issue). I use the 64bit version. When I attempt to open a measurement file on NAS share, unable to see NAS in network folder. I can workaround by opening file in explorer. When I make a new measurement (different computer WLAN laptop), I can't save file to NAS for same reason (doesn't see NAS). Workaround save desktop and move file with Explorer. Was working in rev 47!

I do mount the NAS share as drive S: using credentials specific to NAS. In NAS all NTFS ACL. NAS is QNAP.

Is there anything I can provide to help diagnose? Never actually an error because unable to see device and folder.

I tried on the read computer with "run as administrator". Same result.

FWIW, the opening dialog box never provides drive letter, it just shows folder icon and you have to open to find folders on those drives.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There haven't been any REW changes that would affect network access - you can reinstall beta 47 from the History tab of the downloads page to see if that behaves any differently. If I click on the "Look in" box at the top of the file dialog all my drives are listed. If you have mapped the network drive to a local drive letter that drive should appear in the list under "this PC", rather than in the Network folder.

Gregory Livingstone

Registered
I went back and installed rev 47 and 46 and have same problem. Don't know exactly what changed, but it wasn't REW rev change. Odd that two computers behave same.

Must be on my end. Thank you for responding. Going back to rev 49.

FWIW, I do not see the network shares mounted with a drive letter in my look in list. Nor if I go to This PC. If I go to desktop (house icon) I don't see any drives, but do see 8 folder icons w/o names.

In attached snip of using look-in it last shows N: and then below One-Drive similar un-named folders as see on desktop. The net shares are mounted as S: & X:. I have 11 devices with drive letters (USB multi-format reader uses letter for each format).

In REW on the Network folder I don't see NAS. I also don't see it as a network location in Windows Explorer. That may be the issue. Pretty sure used see it.

Attachments

• My Look In Box.PNG
    My Look In Box.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 5

Gregory Livingstone

Registered
I fixed my issue by enabling UPnP Discovery on the NAS.

Now I can see the network shares with drive letters in "Look In" and under "This PC" within REW.

Top Bottom