[Feature Requests?] REW GUI

A

arhythmetic

Hi there,

I'm rather new to REW, congratulations for developing it and for your ongoing efforts.

As a beginner, one thing I find that REW suffers from is the lack of a user-friendly GUI. I'm using Windows 10, and currently have REW 5.20 beta18 installed. I thought I'd provide a few constructive comments:
  • The main window doesn't seem to be used for anything other than the toolbar, menu bar and status bar; in other words, no "child" windows are display in it. Maybe this comes from a MacOS perspective, I personally find it awkwardly designed because e.g., when cycling through open programs with alt-tab, REW has many entries.
  • None of the application's windows (i.e., main window, SPL logger) seem to remember their last-opened width/height or full-screen state. I would have expected for example, the SPL Logger to remember its full screen state rather than always keep opening at 800*600, having to maximise it etc.
  • The placement of UI controls (e.g., buttons, scrollbars) in all windows is, to be brutally honest, really unhelpful. For me, this is the biggest drawback as a user. I'd (humbly) expect all buttons (all of them) to be logically organised in a toolbar to the top left, right above and especially outside the graph.
Hope this helps

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The main window doesn't seem to be used for anything other than the toolbar, menu bar and status bar; in other words, no "child" windows are display in it.
The main window has the list of measurements and all the individual measurement graphs. It seems to have quite enough in it, are you perhaps using it without any measurements?

None of the application's windows (i.e., main window, SPL logger) seem to remember their last-opened width/height or full-screen state. I would have expected for example, the SPL Logger to remember its full screen state rather than always keep opening at 800*600, having to maximise it etc.
Size and position are remembered for all the windows. Full screen state is not restored because of bugs in the JRE handling of full screen windows, which can result in them being given zero size (macOS) or going to zero size when restoring from a maximised state.

The placement of UI controls (e.g., buttons, scrollbars) in all windows is, to be brutally honest, really unhelpful. For me, this is the biggest drawback as a user. I'd (humbly) expect all buttons (all of them) to be logically organised in a toolbar to the top left, right above and especially outside the graph.
I guess that's something for me to think about. I find it OK, and prefer it to other applications I'd used, but then that's why I wrote it in the first place so each to his own :)

Top Bottom