Feature request, self defined 1/3 octave filters

Wesayso

Registered
Hi John,

I'm a long time user of REW, using it for my specific goal that is targeted to improve my sound by measuring. During this quest I've searched every tab in
REW to see if it could help me advance my knowledge about how this program works and what it can do for me.
When I was examining my room I've used the 1/3 octave filters extensively to learn more about my room behaviour. As a byproduct I figured this kind of
filtering might actually be of use during crossover experiments.
I have tested that quite a while ago and shown that theory a couple of times to people that had difficulty in getting their crossovers to sum.
Basically I suggested to look at a 1/3 filter at the frequency where you want to cross with timed measurements of the two drivers, and use the overlay
window to see what the timing difference is between the two drivers.

Let's see a quick view of what that would look like:

29958-97f566955a14f2908e711588a8d4828f.jpg

Looking at an overlay window to determine acoustic offset between 2 measurements made with timing reference

29959-453ffe76cb4b57254211141347320510.jpg

Overlay view after setting the right timing offset by delaying one driver, making the crossover sum perfectly

I've tried to explain the theory behind it in this post over on DIYaudio: [sorry, no link to outside forums} (I hope it's alright to link to other forums here)

If REW would have a user defined frequency where we could look at a 1/3 octave filtered IR it would make this method even more useful for crossover work.
Say I'd want to look at making a crossover at 1750 Hz, being able to look at the Filtered IR from both drivers involved, filtered with a 1/3 octave filter right there
at 1750 HZ would give the user a visual tool to see what's happening at the exact crossover point. As long as the measurements were made with a timing reference.

I don't know if it is even possible or easy to implement for you. If it isn't too hard to do, I bet this would be of use to many people.
One could use it on all kinds of crossovers that way, as long as they require an acoustic sum at a certain frequency.

I'm kind of hoping this isn't too hard to implement, so we get to see this option added in a future release. What do you say John?

Thanks for your time,

Ronald a.k.a. Wesayso

Attachments

• Overlays IR.jpg
    Overlays IR.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Overlaytimed.jpg
    Overlaytimed.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4

Wesayso

Registered
Quite frankly, no. I don't even have a real personal need for the 1/3 octave filter I requested here.
However I did use that trick I mentioned for years to help others figure out what went wrong in their multiway crossovers.
It does give a very clear visual confirmation of the sum at the crossover spot. Making any alignment super
easy to see.

I see what you did here with that alignment tool, not a bad way to go at all. I think I'd still prefer to be able to use
an 1/3 octave filter at a user defined frequency as an added visual aid, even on top of this.
It kind of works in similar ways though, but I see many users that battle/fight with getting clear phase traces etc.trying
to measure indoors.
A few users have tested my proposed method at crossover positions that were available in the list of 1/3 octave bands.
They confirmed the practical use and ease.

If it's simply too much work to implement I'll understand. I was hoping it would be quite doable.

Top Bottom