Equalizing worked fine, there are remaining questions

Sempervivum

Registered
Hi there,
today I received the recommended microphone UMIK-1 and started equalizing my computer speakers. Worked very fine so far, the predicted curve follows the target closely and the sound is more natural than before equalizing.
rew.png
Remaining questions:
1. In order to achieve this result I had to set the values of "Individual Max Boost" and "Overall Max Boost" to fairly high values. Is this OK?
2. At 52 Hz there is a peak of about -20 db. Why does REW not equalize this? I added this frequency manually by editing the filter text file and it worked. However I noticed the higher level more by the vibration of the table than by hearing it :)
BTW: Thanks to the developer for providing this software, I sent a donation already.
Best regards - Ulrich

skid00

More  
Main Amp
2 x Adcom GFA 555
Front Speakers
Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV
Narrow, deep dips are caused by room modes (nodes? I can never remember). You should not try to EQ them out.

You also need to be careful in EQing higher frequencies, as the sound radiated from the sides and back of the speaker can fool the measurement, giving you worse sound.

How do you apply the EQ to your system? I'm using a PC to play my music, so I use eqAPO. I export a .txt file from REW, and use files in the 'config.txt' eqAPO config folder to implement multiple EQ files.

Sempervivum

Registered
Hi, thanks for your info.
Narrow, deep dips are caused by room modes (nodes? I can never remember). You should not try to EQ them out.
Seems to be a complex subject, I won't dive into and not try to lift up this dip.
How do you apply the EQ to your system?
I'm using APO equalizer and the GUI "peace" which work fine and are user friendly. I export the filters settings from REW to a txt file as you do and import it in peace.

BTW: The more I listen to the equalized sound, the more I like it. There are details in the music I was not able to hear before.

Best regards - Ulrich

Last edited:
Top Bottom