EQ filters to only use 4

jjohnston

Registered
I am calibrating a room. I'm doing full range speakers. I have my target curve loaded. When I go to take my measurements, I need to use generic EQ since mine isn't listed. But can I limit the program to show me only 4 parametric EQ filters, and have it figure out the calibration off that? My EQ only has 4 Parametric EQ settings I can adjust.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sure, just uncheck the boxes next to filters 5-20 to disable them, or change them from Auto to Manual. Either way the target match will then not use them. You should make sure that your EQ behaves the same way as the Generic setting though - take a loopback measurement through the EQ with a filter configured in it and see if the same settings in the Generic equaliser produce the same filter shape. If not you may find one of the other equalisers is a better match.

bill Chase

Registered
Rather than starting another post, I have a similar question. I am using an alpine pxa-h800 in an automobile. Trying to get rew setup and optimized for my system. I see it has an option for the fosgate 360.2 and some other mobile dsp's. What would be a close match to my dsp. Or the correct way to configure rew so it is the same for eq. Also I am utterly clueless about rew and am setting up a very complex 3 way front stage with subs in stereo ( I know I know, but what in the world lol(. 8 channels for now, but ultimately I will be using 10 channels, with rear fill in the rear doors.

So is there some sort of step by step blow by blow writeup for optimizing rew to your system's specs? This is all brand new to me, and I am probably over my head but I have bkught good equipment and the installation is solidly planned and executed... now comes the tuning, thus far all I have done is set crossover points to where I have no risk of damaging drivers, and set amp gains with an ohm meter to rated output, given they are high quality pieces there is no clipping, but far from optimized or level matched... a guide that will spoon feed me the info at a digestible pace that is not overloaded with technical lingo? Does it exist?

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There are two main options for filter setup with an unsupported equaliser: make loopback measurements of some filter settings in your unit and see which of the REW filter options shows the same filter shapes for the same settings, or forget automatic EQ and make live adjustments to the filters by playing REW's Pink PN signal through the system and looking at the response on the RTA using these settings:

rtasettings.jpg

Both are aimed at parametric EQ though, if you want to set up crossover filters as well may be easiest using the Pink PN/live adjustment approach. For more elaborate approaches you'll probably need to try a mobile audio forum.

bill Chase

Registered
I guess I need to do one hell of a lot of reading and start becoming more familiar with the program. Because I do not have a clue what you are saying. Is there any sort of tutorial for someone like myself that will help get started using your program Mr. Mulcahey?

Top Bottom