(September 12, 2019) Epson has arrived at CEDIA 2019 with several pieces of exciting news. First up, the company has revealed two new projector models (HC 3800 and HC 3200), which replace last year’s budget and family room friendly HC 3700 and HC 3100 offerings. Set to begin shipping sometime during October 2019, these new HC models are positioned to set new performance standards in a price range ($1,499 to $1,699) that’s typically dominated by projectors utilizing DLP technology.
Leaning heavily on its ability to leverage scale and overall sales capacity, Epson’s design team was given access to trickle-down pixel shifting technology at price points that, frankly, previously seemed unimaginable. Both new models carry three LCD imagers capable of 4K source compatibility and advanced 4K pixel-shifting performance. Additionally, both ship with HDR10 and HLG High Dynamic Range compatibility in addition to automatic onboard HDR signal detection and manual HDR adjustment controls. These simple controls help combat image quality issues introduced by 4K disc authoring inconsistencies, which have been a tripping point for 4K HDR projectors.
The HC 3800 has a peak brightness of 3,000 lumens, while the HC 3200 improves upon last year’s model by bumping brightness to 2,900 lumens. And both projectors carry easy-to-access vertical and horizontal lens shift controls for perfect alignment following install. Also, new to this model class, is high-quality Bluetooth aptX for wireless connectivity to external headphones or speakers, along with a USB 2.0A port capable of powering an external device.
Externally speaking, the HC 3800 and HC 3200 look identical to last year’s models, largely because R&D dollars were spent on improving performance where it counts most: what you see on the screen.
Epson has also announced a new high-performance short-throw laser projector, which ships with one of two screen sizes. Designed with living room performance in mind, it allows buyers to replace a standard flat panel with a massive screen – or afford a much larger screen size as compared to equal-sized LCD TVs – with a system capable of throwing an image up to 120” diagonal. The LS500 carries pleasing physical aesthetics highlighted by a magnetically attached mesh speaker grille and a choice of two cabinet colors, with extreme ease of placement aided by manual and digital image sizing controls.
Much like the HC 3800 and 3200 models, the LS500 carries pixel-shifting technology for 4K compatibility and performance. And low-latency output is fueled by 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 connectivity for high resolution gaming at 4K/60Hz. Unlike the aforementioned models, its short-throw design is perfect for high ambient light applications, as the projector’s custom screens features a dark grey material with a stepped surface design that rejects lighting from above.
Viewing angles are said to be impressive.
Adding to the LS500’s usability, Epson’s engineers have integrated Android TV for access to Google Assistant voice control, Google apps, and YouTube content. It carries a price tag of $4,999 (100" screen) or $5,999 (120" screen). Shipping is scheduled to begin during Q1 of 2020.
For more information about all of Epson's CEDIA announcements, please refer to the company's official press releases (below).
DENVER (CEDIA Expo 2019, Booth #2624) – Sept. 12, 2019 – Epson, the number one projector manufacturer in the world2, today introduced new Home Cinema projectors engineered to deliver an exceptional 4K HDR home theater viewing experience at lower price points. The Home Cinema 3800 and Home Cinema 3200 4K PRO-UHD®1 3-Chip projectors with HDR3 feature up to 3,000 lumens of both color and white brightness4 for bright, vivid images with brilliant color. Representing Epson’s most compact and affordable 4K PRO-UHD1 projectors to date, the new home cinema models use advanced processing technologies for resolution enhancement, color and image processing to display sharp, detailed 4K content in living rooms and DIY home theater spaces.
“Epson continues to expand its line of 4K PRO-UHD solutions, showing its commitment to delivering a high quality, immersive viewing experience across a range of viewing environments in today’s homes,” said Rodrigo Catalan, senior product manager, Projectors, Epson America, Inc. “These latest models pack together the brightness, color accuracy and feature set for an astounding 4K PRO-UHD performance at more affordable price points, providing the ultimate 4K experience of the latest HDR blockbuster movies.”
With support for the latest 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 specification, the new projectors display exceptional 4K HDR content at full 60 fps from the latest streaming devices and gaming consoles. The Home Cinema 3800 and Home Cinema 3200 leverage an advanced 3LCD
design, delivering 100 percent of the RGB color signal for a wide color gamut while maintaining excellent brightness. Featuring Epson Precision Lens technology, active 3D support1 and digital video processing, Epson’s latest 4K PRO-UHD1 solutions offer stunning, big-screen images ideal for a variety of lighting conditions.
More About the Home Cinema 3800 and Home Cinema 3200
These compact home cinema models offer impressive lens shift capabilities – up to ±60 percent on the vertical axis and up to ± 24 percent on the horizontal axis – for flexible placement on a table, bookshelf or ceiling mount. Whether you’re streaming your favorite series, 4K gaming on the latest generation of consoles, or simply watching a blockbuster movie in HDR – the Epson Home Cinema 3800 and 3200 are amazing.
- 4K PRO-UHD1 Projection Technology – A new type of 4K home theater experience utilizing advanced processing technologies for resolution enhancement, color, and image processing – resulting in an exceptional 4K home theater experience.
- True 3-Chip Projector Design – Advanced 3LCD technology displays 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame. This allows for great color gamut while maintaining excellent brightness, without any “rainbow effect” or “color brightness” issues seen with other projection technologies.
- 4K Resolution Processing – Advanced pixel-shifting technology precisely controls three-individual high-definition LCD chips to parallel process millions of pixels. This new type of resolution enhancement technology results in an exceptionally sharp 4K visual experience.
- HDR Processing Full 10-bit HDR3 color processing accepts 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an amazing visual performance.
- Digital Video Processing – Real-time 12-bit analog-to-digital video processing for smooth tonal transitions, while helping to eliminate banding, blocking, and other compression artifacts from the final visual performance. This powerful processor faithfully reproduces the source material the way it was intended to be shown.
- Outstanding Brightness – Capable of displaying 4K content up to an impressive 3,000 lumens for both color and white brightness4. This not only provides for a wider performance envelope but allows for a superior HDR performance.
- Full 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Support – Fully compatible with virtually all color formats, depths, and spaces while simultaneously supporting 4K HDR content at a full 60 Hz. This allows for compatibility with the latest 4K HDR content and next-generation gaming hardware.
- Epson Precision Lens – Our latest Epson Precision Lens utilizes a proprietary multi-element Precision Glass Structure for outstanding image clarity and edge-to-edge focus uniformity. Lens Shift capabilities – up to ±60 percent on the vertical axis and up to ± 24 percent on the horizontal axis.
- Impressive Audio Technologies5 – Rear-firing dual 10-watt speaker system for convenient everyday use. For true audiophile performance, the Home Cinema 3800 and 3200 also includes Bluetooth wireless speaker support and aptX™ compatibility.
- Active 3D Support1 – Support for high-performance active 3D glasses to faithfully reproduce all the source 3D information to maximize the visual effect.
Availability and Support
Epson’s new Home Cinema 3800 (MSRP $1,699.99) and Home Cinema 3200 (MSRP $1,499.99) 4K PRO-UHD1 3-Chip projectors with HDR will be available in October at Best Buy and in November at Amazon, and other select retailers. Each model comes with Epson’s unsurpassed service and support, including standard two-year limited warranty, along with free technical phone support for the life of the product. For more information, please visit www.epson.com/home-entertainment-projectors.
DENVER (CEDIA Expo, Booth #2624) – Sept. 12, 2019 – Epson, the number one projector manufacturer in the world2, today introduced the Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1– a new generation of digital projection that redefines the everyday television viewing experience. Equipped with an ultra-high definition ambient light rejecting screen with unique optical layering technology, the LS500 Laser Projection TV1 offers sports enthusiasts, gamers, and content streamers an immersive, big-screen alternative to traditional LCD and OLED TVs.
Capable of displaying 4K HDR content up to 120 inches, this new solution leverages outstanding color and white brightness3 with incredible color accuracy for a stunning picture in virtually any lighting environment. The LS500 Laser Projection TV1 features Epson’s proprietary 4K PRO-UHD®4 3LCD technology, a dynamic contrast ratio exceeding 2,500,000:1 and advanced HDR5 processing to produce vivid colors and deep blacks for an exceptionally bright, colorful and sharp picture – regardless of the viewing environment.
“The Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 redefines the traditional television experience by offering an immersive display size up to 120-Inches.” said Rodrigo Catalan, senior product manager, Projectors, Epson America, Inc. “Whether you’re watching a live sporting event, streaming your favorite series, gaming on the latest generation of consoles, or simply watching the latest blockbuster movie, the all-new Epson Laser Projection TV1 will simple amaze you.”
Powered by Google, the LS500 Laser Projection TV1 solution includes the Android TV operating system with a simple-to-use remote that features voice search through Google Assistant. Today’s streamers can watch their favorite content from apps such as Netflix, HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Hulu, ESPN and more. Users can even stream live TV through apps like PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV. Supporting the latest 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 specification, the LS500 Laser TV1 displays 4K HDR content at a full 60Hz and is compatible with the latest streaming devices and gaming consoles.
Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 – Be Amazed.
Designed to seamlessly integrate within any décor, the Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 is available in two color schemes – white and black. This solution comes with the option of a 120-inch or 100-inch Ambient Light Rejecting screen, offering a complete, easy-to-install entertainment solution for today’s modern homes.
Additional features include:
- A Complete Solution – The Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 combines an advanced ultra-short throw laser projector with an ultra-high definition ambient light rejecting screen with unique optical layering technology to produce vivid colors and deep blacks for an exceptionally bright, colorful, and sharp picture – in virtually any type of viewing environment.
- An Immersive Display up to 120 inches – As an alternative to traditional LCD and OLED TVs, the Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 represents a new generation of digital projection that redefines the everyday television experience by offering a stunning picture available in both 100-inch or 120-inch screen sizes.
- 4K PRO-UHD4 Projection Technology – A new type of 4K projection technology utilizing advanced processing for resolution enhancement, color, and image processing – resulting in an exceptionally sharp picture.
- Incredibly Bright Picture3 – Capable of displaying 4K HDR content at an exceptional level of brightness for both color and white content. This not only provides for an amazing viewing experience but sets a new standard in this class of projection – allowing for all-day viewing in virtually any lighting environment.
- Advanced HDR5 Processing – Full 10-bit color processing accepting 100 percent of the HDR source information to faithfully reproduce HDR content for an exceptional visual performance.
- Outstanding Color Accuracy6 – Advanced 3-Chip 3LCD technology displays 100 percent of the RGB color signal for every frame. This allows for the Rec. 709 color space to be displayed for outstanding color accuracy.
- Amazing Contrast – Advanced black density control individually pulses the laser light emitting from the Epson Dynamic Laser Array diodes to precisely suppress stray light within the signal – producing an incredible Dynamic Contrast Ratio exceeding 2,500,000:1.
- Digital Image Processing – Realtime 12-bit analog-to-digital video processing for smooth tonal transitions, while helping to eliminate banding, blocking, and other compression artifacts from the final visual performance. This powerful processor faithfully reproduces the source material the way it was intended to be shown.
- Latest 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 with ARC Support – Fully compatible with virtually all color formats, depths, and spaces while simultaneously supporting 4K HDR content at a full 60 Hz. This allows for outstanding compatibility with the latest 4K HDR content and next-generation gaming hardware.
- Powered by Google – Included Android TV operating system with a simple-to-use remote – includes voice search with built-in Google Assistant. Watch all your favorite streaming channels including Netflix, HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Hulu, ESPN and more. Even stream live TV with apps like PlayStation Vue and YouTube TV.
- Award-Winning Service & Support – Standard two-year limited warranty, along with free technical phone support for the life of the product.
The Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 will be available in the first quarter of 2020 through Magnolia and CEDIA dealers. The Epson LS500 Laser Projection TV1 will be available in black and white models with 100-inch (MSRP $4,999) and 120-inch (MSRP $5,999) SKUs.