DTS Boosts Its Play-Fi Mobile App, Expands 'Works with Alexa' Product Universe

DTS Boosts Its Play-Fi Mobile App, Expands 'Works with Alexa' Product Universe

full?d=1532380069.png

(DTS)
(July 23, 2018) Fresh on the heels of tweaking its Headphone app, DTS has announced a handful of new features included in its most recent Play-Fi app update (iOS and Android). In addition, the company officially released an Android version of its Headphone app, following through on its late June promise.

Several notable usability features have been added to the latest version of the Play-Fi app, headlined by a new “Recent Activities” memory function. Owners can now restore listening sessions by recalling sources, speaker configurations, and audio levels, all retrieved by tapping an icon. If a particular session contains preferred settings, the app can store the session as a preset. This means music services, stations, linked speakers, volume levels – even repeat and random settings – can all be used well into the future by selecting a simple preset function.

Based on strong demand, Android users can now create and edit a song queue using a media server or some track-based streaming services such as TIDAL and Napster. The queue can be comprised of albums or songs. Apple iOS users have access to a similar queue creation tool, but have bridged functionality with nearly all track-based services, with the added ability of creating song queues by “blending” songs from various services and sources. That means owners can pull their preferred songs from streaming services and in-home collections stored on portable devices and media servers.

DTS has also added access to its own proprietary streaming service called SoundMachine. Owners with business accounts can customize music using SoundMachine for commercial settings across specific days and hours, with the added benefit of incorporating special messages for customers.

Finally, DTS has updating quite a few products to be “Works with Alexa” compatible. Those products include:
  • Arcam rPlay
  • Definitive Technology W Studio Micro Sound Bar
  • Klipsch RSB-8 Sound Bar
  • Klipsch RSB-14 Sound Bar
  • Polk Audio Omni SB1 Plus Sound Bar
  • Soundcast VG10 Portable Outdoor Speaker
  • SVS Prime Wireless Speaker
  • SVS Prime Wireless Soundbase

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Yeah... Apple reviews can be terribly brutal sometimes. Are they true? Not sure. I've seen audio apps get trashed (HEOS) only to find they work magnificently. I'm sure you've experienced the same. Sometimes you have to wonder: is it the end user or the app? I guess, ultimately, the best apps easily function in the hands of the most challenged customers!

GFOviedo

Yeah... Apple reviews can be terribly brutal sometimes. Are they true? Not sure. I've seen audio apps get trashed (HEOS) only to find they work magnificently. I'm sure you've experienced the same. Sometimes you have to wonder: is it the end user or the app? I guess, ultimately, the best apps easily function in the hands of the most challenged customers!

I agree with you. I don’t really use the HEOS app since I use Spotify, but the HEOS app gets bad reviews as well, and I haven’t had any major issues with it when I used it.

Top Bottom