Disney Wades Into 4K Dolby Vision Waters with Star Wars: The Last Jedi
(February 22, 2018) It’s been a long time coming, but fans of the epic Star Wars saga might finally see their beloved films get the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray treatment. As of March 27 – the official release date of disc-based versions of Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Disney is issuing its first Dolby Vision title on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. And to sweeten the pot, The Last Jedi’s 4K encode will include Dolby Atmos immersive audio.
That’s right Star War’s fans: The Last Jedi is laced with the industry’s best in-home visual experience and immersive sound to boot.
While standing as a rather polarizing film, Director Rian Johnson’s revenue-rich take on the Star War’s storyline certainly resides as one of 2018’s most highly anticipated releases. And for those of you that can’t wait until March 27, the film will be available digitally two weeks earlier (March 13) in both HD and 4K UHD via Disney’s newly rebranded Movies Anywhere streaming service.
The disc-based version of the film will hit the streets with several different packaging options. A Multiscreen Edition delivers a Blu-ray disc and a Digital Copy code, while a special 4K UHD Collector’s Edition offers 4K Blu-ray and standard Blu-ray discs along with a digital code. Best Buy is offering exclusive access to SteelBook versions of the release. In addition, both Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray discs carry impressive special features, including:
Pre-ordering is currently available through Best Buy (click for: Blu-ray, SteelBook Blu-ray, 4K Blu-ray, Steel Book 4K Blu-ray) and email notification on Amazon. Initial pricing ranges from $24.99 for the Multiscreen Edition and $34.99 for the 4K Blu-ray Steelbook.
- The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior AdminStaff MemberThread Starter
- Jan 20, 2017
- Likes Received:
- Balt/Wash Metro
AV Equipment List
- Yamaha RX-A3050
- Emotiva XPA-5
- OPPO UDP-203
- SVS Ultra Towers
- SVS Ultra Center
- SVS Ultra Surround
- SVS Ultra Bookshelf
- SVS Prime Elevation
- dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
- Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
- JVC RS520
- LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, OPPO Sonica
- SVS Prime Elevation
- Carada Cine-White 0 gain