Dirac Research Officially Launches Major Update at CES 2018

Dirac Research Officially Launches Major Update at CES 2018

full?d=1512580151.png

(Dirac Research)
Editor’s Note: The following article has been updated since its original December 2017 release. AV NIRVANA had an opportunity to sit down with Dirac’s Jakob Ågren at CES 2018 and review a prototype version of Dirac’s new software platform. The room’s demo system performed as one would expect, delivering a wider and more focused soundstage.

(January 17, 2018) Dirac Research landed at CES 2018 with a next-generation version of its vaunted Dirac Live platform in tow. The new release contains a refreshed and simplified user interface, a new correction algorithm, and multi-language support. The company says that changes are largely based on user input and newly available technical advances, but also allows for a new platform that’s easier to update as new advances are created and made available.

“Dirac Live has been delivering the world’s best room correction for many years,” said Niklas Thorin (Dirac’s General Manager of High Performance Audio). “These updates broaden the market and deliver user-requested features including support for Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese languages, a new, more user-friendly interface and configuration process, and an even more advanced algorithm.”

From a technical perspective, Dirac’s new algorithm further improves the software’s ability to create more defined sound stage and imaging. The current version of Dirac Live measures the phase of each individual stereo speaker, while the new version also analyzes speakers in stereo pairs. This inclusion ensures that paired speakers have a matched phase response, which (according to Dirac) will “deliver an immediate and obvious improvement to all users.”

Usability wise, the software’s new interface is designed to eliminate confusion. Dirac’s CES 2018 demo revealed an intuitive app based environment (due to be available for Android/iOS and Windows/OSX) designed to guide the next-gen software’s correction process, with oversite that confirms optimal settings have been implemented. This is fantastic news, making a complex process easier for less technically inclined audio fans. For those Dirac users that prefer more backend control over the correction process, the original software’s look and feel will be selectable and available for use.

“With our refreshed interface and configuration, users don’t need to be technical experts to gain optimal benefits from the platform,” Thorin added. “And an equally important change is the move toward a more mobile-friendly UI. The Dirac Live interface is now as accessible on a midsize tablet as it is on a larger laptop, giving installers flexibility in which tools they prefer using on site. Together, these improvements reaffirm our commitment to providing the best product, developing ever-improving room correction tools, and keeping current with peripheral technological advances.”

Following CEDIA 2017, we reported that Dirac’s technicians have been exploring multi-subwoofer and immersive sound solutions. As of now, Dirac does not offer any type of bass management, as that functionality is covered by each manufacturer’s own unique product platforms. According to Jakob Ågren, Dirac is considering adding bass management as part of a future update to the new Dirac Live package. Ågren says Dirac has planned for an elongated 2018 rollout, largely to allow for any bugs to be corrected once the product is used en masse.

The new generation of Dirac Live is expected to become publicly available sometime during Q1 2018. At that time, the new interface will be installed, but functionality will remain consistent with the original version. Updates to the software will roll out during the rest of the year. Dirac says that upgradeability of legacy equipment is manufacturer dependent.

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the update. Good info. :)

bkeeler10

More  
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
Very interesting. Given how Dirac Live operates (on computers and their own servers rather than on a DSP chip), I'm going to assume that all Dirac-capable devices will enjoy the benefits of this improved algorithm, without need for a software update (other than perhaps the app that runs on the computer).

asarose247

Will it be addressing ATMOS? hope so . .
this could be the go-to for my living room . .

easier user interface and BM too . .
I like easy . . .

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Very interesting. Given how Dirac Live operates (on computers and their own servers rather than on a DSP chip), I'm going to assume that all Dirac-capable devices will enjoy the benefits of this improved algorithm, without need for a software update (other than perhaps the app that runs on the computer).

Nothing definitive out of Dirac, but it sounds like there’s a pretty good chance it will work on legacy gear. Cross your fingers!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Will it be addressing ATMOS? hope so . .
this could be the go-to for my living room . .

easier user interface and BM too . .
I like easy . . .

It doesn’t appear as if Atmos is part of this update, but It’s definitely on their radar.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Nothing definitive out of Dirac, but it sounds like there’s a pretty good chance it will work on legacy gear. Cross your fingers!

I think there may still need to be at least a firmware update to allow this, but I'm sure Flavio could tell us.

I don't have details on how the update differs but I'll just mention that one common limitation that makes it so that even a convolver inside a piece of hardware can't use newer higher precision correction is that the convolver still operates on a DSP chip which limits the number of taps it can handle. If this new edition increases the filter resolution through more taps or anything like that, then different dsp engines may or may not work with the update. Again I base that on no special knowledge of this update just an observation of what could be the case. Audyssey XT32 had this problem for example. The processor might have been able to generate the filter on older products but the dsp chip that ran the correction filters couldn't handle the higher number of taps. Theirs stemmed from using FIR in the bass though which eats up a ton of taps for simple filters.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Good point, Matt. Dirac, at CEDIA, pretty much said that future updates (multi-sub, Atmos, specifically) should work with older equipment/chips. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
From a technical perspective, Dirac’s new algorithm further improves the software’s ability to create jaw dropping sound stage and imaging. The current version of Dirac Live measures the phase of each individual stereo speaker, while the new version also analyzes speakers in stereo pairs. This inclusion ensures that paired speakers have a matched phase response, which (according to Dirac) will “deliver an immediate and obvious improvement to all users.”

I'm going to hold out hope that this literally means that only the algorithm that designs the filters is changed, as opposed to the filters themselves or quantity of filters and that = works with existing hardware.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I'm going to hold out hope that this literally means that only the algorithm that designs the filters is changed, as opposed to the filters themselves or quantity of filters and that = works with existing hardware.
I think that's a good stance!

This phase matching is really huge in my opinion. A big deal has been made about the audibility of absolute phase, but this is different. Just as phase can be used to steer an image (and a pair of our of phase speakers sound diffused), matching phase ensures the best possible soundstage. Instruments are placed precisely. My mentor and designer of my speakers isn't a big proponent of phase matching, but I really believe it makes a difference. I've done experiments using FIR filter generation software to match the phase of my speakers before and found it made an audible difference, even thought everything else remained the same (i.e. the speaker response was the same). I've stated before that the biggest surprise for me was how much DIRAC improved the soundstage. Anything to further improve that will be great, and something unique in the market.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
@JStewart

Alright, so I got some further info from Dirac and the outlook is actually quite good.

Dirac is actively trying to make the update fully backward compatible because they want completely eliminate the old version. This may take some time (and may not happen in the first release). But, hang tight, because it's the company's end goal. There maybe some instances where middleware is needed, but it sounds like that might be a user option (not a total necessity).

Tonto

More  
Yamaha RXV-795a
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
Thanks Tood, great info. Any hints at where their budget is expected to take it?

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Hey Tonto what is it your specifically wondering?

There are limits on what we are allowed to divulge around upcoming products. What I can say is the future looks very cool.

Top Bottom