full?lightbox=1&update=1531166594.jpg

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1535107397.jpg
Movie

R-rated super hero films have GENERALLY been regarded as outliers for the Marvel and DC universe. Sure, we’ve had things like the Blade series, or the Punisher movies (although Marvel has treated those as the red headed stepchildren of their licensed films), but up until a few years ago they were pretty much a pariah to studio heads. Common logic used was that PG-13 was a much more accessible rating to the masses, and the R-rating might tarnish the brand, or at the very least decrease their profit margin. What made matters worse to fans was that there is a LOOOOOOOOOOT of IP’s that Marvel owned that would be perfect for the rating. Wolverine was notably neutered in his role during the X-men movies (how do you portray a barely controlled savage Canadian with claws on his hands in a PG-13 rated films?), and fans had been BEGGING for an R-rated Deadpool movie for quite some time. When the test footage for the first Deadpool film was leaked (my bet is still on Ryan Reynolds being the one to leak it in order to show the Fox studio heads that the market was there) they went NUTS begging for an actual film, and low and behold, 20th Century Fox listened. In 2016 we got Deadpool, a nearly perfect representation of the merc with a mouth, starring the only man alive who could pull off the role as perfectly as he did.

Fast forward a couple of years and we finally get the sequel that we knew was coming (with the amount of money that Deadpool pulled in, a sequel was a foregone conclusion). This time it’s darker, deeper and slightly less fun than the original. Last time we left off DP himself (Ryan Reynolds) had got the girl, killed Francis, and pretty much off all the X-men in one movie. Continuing on his anti-hero rampage, he is off slaughtering villains world wide, and then coming home to his beautiful wife Vanessa (Morena Baccarin). The two of them have just decided to start a family when a group of thugs looking for revenge break into their apartment and Vanessa ends up dead in the process. Depressed, empty, and ready to die (but obviously can’t), the merc with a mouth just gives up on life. That is until he sees the opportunity to do something redeeming when he has the opportunity to save a young Mutant boy named Russel (Julian Dennison) from being tortured by an Anti-Mutant halfway home headmaster (Eddie Marson).

The only thing is, Deadpool’s way of “saving” someone is kind of off kilter compared to the rest of society. His actions end both himself and Russel in “the icebox” (a mutant prison, where prisoners are outfitted with collars that dampen their mutant ability). Then there’s the added problem of Cable (Josh Brolin), a time traveling mutant from the future with bionic abilities who wants to murder Russel for crimes that he will commit in the future. Now it’s up to the man who can’t die to protect the kid from the murderous time traveler, AND atone for his sins that got Vanessa killed. All with (or without) dying in the process)

full?lightbox=1&update=1535107397.jpg
Deadpool 2 was one of my most highly anticipated films of 2018, but I was slightly let down by it when I went to the theaters. Now, before we go any further, let me iterate that I am NOT calling the movie bad. I really enjoyed the film, and had a blast with the lunacy, but after how much fun Deadpool was, I was just expecting a little bit more. I really like that they tried to flesh out Deadpool as a character a bit more, and not just leave him as the insane comedic creation he came across last film. But I just couldn’t get into some of the lionizing of his characteristics in the film. The movie switches between serious and dark with a message to non stop hilarity at a moments notice, and the shift can seem jarring and a bit off putting at times. Not to mention the fact that Russell came off WAY too goofy for his own good. Keeping him serious and Wade Wilson/Deadpool nutty feels more natural, and his comedic timing was a bit off.

Now on to the good parts (which is actually the better portion of the film). Josh Brolin as Cable is just about perfect (I would have still like Stephen Lang, but Brolin did an amazing job). He plays the character with the grit and roughness that is necessary for the future warrior. His and Deadpool’s chemistry (both good and bad) was phenomenal. Morena’s death was a HUGE blow to the cast, but she made up for it with her little “death” life lessons, and the addition of X-force cast was amazing (their first mission was one of the most drop down on the floor and roll around laughing moments of the film). I won’t mention WHO it is, but there is also a cameo villain who shows up part way through the film who is definitely going to be a BIG jump over the poor portrayal he had in another X-men movie some years back.

While the film is definitely dark and dreary at times, this is still a movie about Wade Wilson and his insane antics. We get to see more head slicing, gut ripping, bullet punching violence than you can shake a stick at. The film also gets the advantage of having a “super duper” extended cut as well. It adds 14 minutes to the run time and actually makes some severe changes to certain scenes. The set is a 4 disc (or 2 disc for the Blu-ray, as it’s not a combo pack) set, and puts the Super Duper Cut on it’s own disc for good reason. You see, the film isn’t just a few added scenes, but they changed the music in some shots, dialog, and added AND deleted certain segments of other scenes. After comparing the two cuts right after one another, I have to say that the Super Duper Cut is really just an added bonus feature. The theatrical cut plays cleaner and smoother for the most part. Most of the changed scenes actually don’t do much, and feel more like deleted scenes for a reason (such as the scene where Fire Fist and our unnamed villain go clothes shopping). My recommendation if you have not seen it before is to watch the theatrical version first, THEN the Super Duper Cut to see all the kooky stuff they left out.

Rating:

Rated R for strong violence and language throughout, sexual references and brief drug material

Video: :4.5stars:
Shot with the Arri Alexa cameras (at least according to the credits logo) and finished at 2K (according to IMDB), Deadpool 2 rocks onto 1080p Blu-ray with a very impressive transfer. Details are shockingly revealing, allowing us to see every stitch on Deadpool’s costume, as well as energy blasts, blood sprays squirting everywhere, and background objects (the most impressive of being in the prison sequence). Facial details are fantastic, while the long shots look only mildly soft. Blacks are deep and impressive, with plenty of shadow detail, and the colors tend to be rather “natural” in appearance. I say natural due to the fact that the film isn’t your normal superhero film with overly saturated colors and bright lights. Instead it’s fairly neutral with the color grading, and keeps saturation levels at the midrange point. This keeps the reds of Deadpools suit a nice looking red, but it’s never “popping” if you know what I mean. There are some moments of shiny colors popping through. Mainly with Russell’s energy blasts, or the gleam from Cable’s eye, but they do make it through in the film.

Audio: :5stars:
Fox’s 7.1 DTS-HD MA track is really a rip roaring mix from the opening fight scene, and doesn’t let go until the very end. Deadpool 2 is not a movie to skimp on excess, and the audio mix is no different. The opening shots of the movie introduce us to Deadpool’s “job”, as he hacks, slashes and generally slaughters bad guys around the globe, and the 7.1 mix is just as fast and furious as the merc with the mouth is. Explosions rock the low end, while cacophony of nonstop swirling action allows for an immersive mix that puts the audience right in the center of the action. The track does pull back a bit when Wade and Vanessa are having their little “talks”, but it soon pulls you right back into the fray (with a nice low “whomp” as he exits death) and gets back to just non stop gonzo carnage. It’s a wonderful 7.1 mix, and about as perfect as a lossless track can be.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds, David Leitch, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Theatrical Version Only)
• Gag Reel
• Deleted/Extended Scenes
• Until Your Face Hurts: Alt Takes
• Deadpool's Lips are Sealed: Secrets and Easter Eggs
• The Most Important X-Force Member
• Deadpool Family Values: Cast of Characters
• David Leitch Not Lynch: Directing DP2
• Roll with the Punches: Action and Stunts
• The Deadpool Prison Experiment
• Chess with Omega Red
• Swole and
• "3-Minute Monologue"
• Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds, David Leitch, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Theatrical Version Only)
• Deadpool's Fun Sack 2
• Stills (28 Images)

Final Score: :4stars:

Deadpool 2 is much darker, and much more serious than the first movie, but still manages to weave in the trademark jabs and humor that makes the series so fun to watch. It’s kind of a dichotomy for me, as I like and dislike the film for those same reasons. The movie just has a lot more depth and reality to it than the first, which makes for some incredibly powerful moments, but it also just has FUN with the lunacy of the character. But at the same time it is kind of morose and the same fun of the first movie sometimes feel like the characters are TRYING too hard to lighten the mood. Especially when the mood doesn’t call for it. I guess you could say some of the freshness of the first film has worn off. The Blu-ray set for this film is definitely quite the pacakage though, including the Theatrical and extended cut across a 2 disc set, as well as a plethora of extras that are a blast to sit through. Definitely a fun watch for those who enjoyed the first Deadpool

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin
Directed by: David Leitch
Written by: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Ryan Reynolds
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 7.1, Spanish, French DD 5.1, English DVS (Theatrical Only)
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish,
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Rated: R
Runtime: 120 Minutes (Theatrical) / 134 Minutes (Super Duper Cut)
Blu-ray Release Date: August 21st, 2018

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:
Top Bottom