Dayton Audio’s Small but Mighty DTA-PRO Amp Officially Launches

Dayton Audio’s Small but Mighty DTA-PRO Amp Officially Launches

full?d=1551280602.jpg
(February 27, 2019) Another week, another Dayton Audio product launch. Yesterday, the budget friendly company announced the official release of its DTA-PRO 2.1-channel portable amplifier. This feature rich amp is super compact in size (1.2" H x 5.2" W x 5" D), allowing owners to introduce power and convenience without needing a large amount space.

At its core, the DTA-PRO is 100 watt Class D amplifier capable of delivering 50 watts per channel (2 channels, 4 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz). That allows the amp to cleanly drive fairly demanding speakers. But its connectivity options, which include wireless Bluetooth 4.2 with aptX along with PC USB, 3.5mm stereo, coaxial, and digital optical, give the amp the ability to deliver varied playback convenience.

The DTA-PRO carries an onboard DAC that features a 192kHz/24-bit sampling rate usable with sources connected via coaxial and optical inputs (USB delivers 96kHz/24-bit performance). It also offers a single sub output (2.7 VRMS) for line level connection with a powered subwoofer.

The included wireless remote gives users access to EQ presets, both bass and treble output adjustments, and track control when sourcing media from digital sources.

Much like other Dayton products, the DTA-PRO is priced to save you cash. It carries an $196.10 MSRP, but can currently be purchased on parts-express.com for $142.45.

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
That's an interesting little amp! The great unknown is the quality of the DAC. I can see that it is a TI DAC on the PE website but a quick search turned up little detail or reviews. I know it is all about the implementation in some respects :-) but more info would be nice.

The other question is who makes the Class D amp modules? There are a glut of Class D amp modules out there now... some really good... some so so.... A quick glance at the specs didn't yield any clues (unless I just missed it).

Maybe I shouldn't quibble about something at this price point because on the surface it has incredible specs, functions, and utility!

Thanks for passing this along! It looks like a good option for a desktop system with passive speakers!

T

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
A quick look around informs me (guesses) that the Dayton Audio DTA-PRO 100W Class D Bluetooth Amplifier with USB Chipset is comprised of SA9023 + CS8416 + TAS5342A + TAS5508C + DAC PCM1808 + NE5532

SA9023 - USB to Coaxial I2s Processor Chip Support 24 Bit 96k Sampling.
CS8416 - Cirrus Logic Digital audio receiver that supports sample rates up to 192 kHz
TAS5342A - Texas Instruments Series Audio Amplifier...
TAS5508C - Texas Instruments 8-channel digital pulse-width modulator (PWM) that provides both advanced performance and a high level of system integration.
DAC PCM1808 - Texas Instruments (Burr-Brown?) high-performance, low-cost, single-chip, stereo analog-to-digital converter with single-ended analog voltage input. A 24-Bit Delta-Sigma Stereo A/D Converter
NE5532 - Texas Instruments Dual Low-Noise High-Speed Audio Operational Amplifier

Remember TI acquired Burr-Brown in 2000...

Tom L.

Reviewer
Staff member
Supporter
A quick look around informs me (guesses) that the Dayton Audio DTA-PRO 100W Class D Bluetooth Amplifier with USB Chipset is comprised of SA9023 + CS8416 + TAS5342A + TAS5508C + DAC PCM1808 + NE5532

SA9023 - USB to Coaxial I2s Processor Chip Support 24 Bit 96k Sampling.
CS8416 - Cirrus Logic Digital audio receiver that supports sample rates up to 192 kHz
TAS5342A - Texas Instruments Series Audio Amplifier...
TAS5508C - Texas Instruments 8-channel digital pulse-width modulator (PWM) that provides both advanced performance and a high level of system integration.
DAC PCM1808 - Texas Instruments (Burr-Brown?) high-performance, low-cost, single-chip, stereo analog-to-digital converter with single-ended analog voltage input. A 24-Bit Delta-Sigma Stereo A/D Converter
NE5532 - Texas Instruments Dual Low-Noise High-Speed Audio Operational Amplifier

Remember TI acquired Burr-Brown in 2000...

I saw most of that in my quick look as well. I did not know that TI had acquired Burr-Brown however. It's neat to think that Burr-Brown tech is driving the TI DAC side of things... It can't hurt!

Thanks!!

Tom

Top Bottom